VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the way you need to dress for work allow you to reflect your true self or is it merely a workplace 'look' that says nothing about who you really are?

I ask this because a patient was staring me up and down today looking confused and said 'I would never have guessed you were a Vegan Buddhist you look like you belong to the womens institute'

At work I need to dress a certain way-namely smart, conservative with minimum discreet jewellery and sensible shoes . This is my professional persona, reflective of my positon and responsibility. A uniform which says nothing about who I really am. Weekend me is different, no uniform just my real self. Its either jeans or a bit ethnic hippy with big clanking jewellery!!!!

Is this the case for you two ? Professional you and social you?

And do you dress to impress anyone in particular? boyfriend/girlfriend/co-workers or how you want and feel comfortable ?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My workplace has a business casual dress code. I wear slacks and a collared shirt, usually button down, and business casual shoes, no sneakers.

On the weekend, I wear jeans and a tea shirt, or flannel shirt in the winter.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I work with my computer. 90% of the time i wake up when i want, i go sleep when i want, i have a break when i want, i can dress like i want \\o/

As long as the job is done, doesn't matter ^^

In exchange i work 6-7 days per week, 10 hours per day, some last minute work, and i am never, never able to finish all the work, so i have to decide of the priorities and what to forget. And i'm becoming crazy from spending most of my time in front of a screen. fortunately i can watch a movie in a corner of my screen if i don't need to concentrate too much, and i have awesome music in my ears and i can play chess online ^^

I only have to wear classy stuff for conferences and public meetings, and all the "official you see my face stuff with outside people", and when i go to opera because i love opera ^^

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Oooh! Is this a trick question?

I dress to impress you, and you alone, my sweet!

Dirty dressing gown, unwashed body, uncleaned teeth, crusty eye-boogers, the works ..

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I dress like a slacker drug addict both at work and at home. My clothes are old, have holes in them and sometimes stains. (Though I try to avoid using stained clothes at work too much.)

Sometimes I put on a nice shirt to appear "senior". This hasn't impressed anyone yet, though.

·
Beanitarian
1,002 Posts
There is definitely a professional me and a social me. I have been working on bringing them closer together. I wear suits every day but I try to accessorize them with 'personality'. I've got a tiny collection of retro mod jewelry, for example, that I wear with conservative suits.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
When I work, I wear paint-splattered jeans, paint-splattered t-shirts and a paint-splattered apron. Not so very attractive.
When I visit galleries, I feel somewhat pressured to "look" like an artist, so I generally wear all black with red glasses. At home, I look like everyone else - jeans, boots, sweaters, etc. I don't try to impress anyone with how I dress generally. But when my husband and I have a chance to get away or go on a date, I try to impress him, and think I do a pretty good job.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

When I work, I wear paint-splattered jeans, paint-splattered t-shirts and a paint-splattered apron. Not so very attractive.
:
I disagree

Me, I generally wear pretty dresses because they're more comfortable and easy to style. I don't have to dress up but I love that I'm working now so I have an excuse to wear nice clothes everyday

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan cyberpunk View Post

I work with my computer. 90% of the time i wake up when i want, i go sleep when i want, i have a break when i want, i can dress like i want \\o/

As long as the job is done, doesn't matter ^^

In exchange i work 6-7 days per week, 10 hours per day, some last minute work, and i am never, never able to finish all the work, so i have to decide of the priorities and what to forget. And i'm becoming crazy from spending most of my time in front of a screen. fortunately i can watch a movie in a corner of my screen if i don't need to concentrate too much, and i have awesome music in my ears and i can play chess online ^^

I only have to wear classy stuff for conferences and public meetings, and all the "official you see my face stuff with outside people", and when i go to opera because i love opera ^^
Phew!!!! I am so exhausted just reading about your hectic life that I have had to go and lay down!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

When I visit galleries, I feel somewhat pressured to "look" like an artist, so I generally wear all black with red glasses. At home, I look like everyone else - jeans, boots, sweaters, etc. I don't try to impress anyone with how I dress generally. But when my husband and I have a chance to get away or go on a date, I try to impress him, and think I do a pretty good job.
So we have an artist in our midst then? What is your style of painting Poppy?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineaa View Post

There is definitely a professional me and a social me. I have been working on bringing them closer together. I wear suits every day but I try to accessorize them with 'personality'. I've got a tiny collection of retro mod jewelry, for example, that I wear with conservative suits.
Yes after being accused of being 'womens institute material' I think I might try adding the occasional ethnic necklace ..just so a little bit of me pokes through!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Oooh! Is this a trick question?

I dress to impress you, and you alone, my sweet!

Dirty dressing gown, unwashed body, uncleaned teeth, crusty eye-boogers, the works ..
You just keep on giving ...such a supreme sacrifice when I know you are more comfortable in shirt and tie

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I wear scrubs to work. Often times I get blood spattered all over them.

Outside of work I dress nice if I can. And try to avoid baby vomit and markers.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
I only dress in Disney clothes. Disney socks, shirts, sweaters, jackets, shoes, jewelry, etc. I am trying to Disney-fy my jeans still, since I only have one pair of Disney sweatpants, and I've been thinking of asking my grandpa to have basic hidden mickeys embroidered on the waist or something (he owns an embroidery company). It's rare when I'll wear something non-Disney, besides jeans. Usually it's just if my mom or a friend gets me something, then I'll feel bad not wearing it, but I rarely wear it, and I don't feel like myself in non-Disney things, I just feel fake.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I work alone most of the year, so I'm really only dressing for myself. I have a very specific look, the same for work or social events - I've cultivated my 'librarian' thing since high school. It's on purpose; the sweet and rather conservative clothes belie my true nature!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I dress for comfort. The jeans in my previous avatar are worn every day with that style of shirt. I also dress for the occasion on occasion. For example, at the premiere of my documentary, I wore a suit minus the tie. A woman told me I looked like George Harrison.

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]
[/SPOILER]

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Who do I dress to impress?

Rapists, mostly.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Who do I dress to impress?

Rapists, mostly.
Sorry to tell you, but they aren't paying any attention.

Last year my new year's resolution was to dress more awesomely, so I dress to impress me! I work at a hippie food store, so I can wear whatever I want and everyone is very very nice to each other and compliment all the time. I make a lot of clothes and wear a lot of skirts and... unusual clothes, bright colors and wild patterns and altered stuff and pretty much if I worked in a more conservative job environment I'd not fit in well...

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
So out of around 10 people, only two have to dress somewhat professionally!?....Nice. I wish I could go to work in stained cloths.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Professional me and social me are basically the same person, meaning upper casual. It's always a good idea to present yourself the way you want others to see you, and for me that means a college student who is going to go exactly where she wants to go, and I dress to emulate that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts