VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my favorite painters are those of the romantic aesthetic from the Hudson River School, and specifically the paintings of Albert Bierstadt and his paintings of the sublime and picturesque. What are your own favorites and why do you like them?

Attachment 15387
LL

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Corey Haim is my fave artist....Yess he was an artist...when he wasnt acting he loved to paint and has seven pieces of his artwork displayed in museums in Sweden,Switzerland,and Germany and sold one of his paintings in Bruges Belgium for $7,400
his style is very unique and intresting using a thick texturing of acrylic paints on canvas and he used his intuition and could create a wonderful abstract visual thats sooo beautiful to the eyes......he even painted special paintings that he did for his fans....and I quite sad that I didnt get a chance to get one of those

Another fave of mine is Pablo Picasso.....just a big fan of his work.

Peace

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Currently my favorite painters are those of the romantic aesthetic from the Hudson River School, and specifically the paintings of Albert Bierstadt and his paintings of the sublime and picturesque. What are your own favorites and why do you like them?

Attachment 15387
Digger, you have made the best thread I've seen on here
Thank you!

I like the Hudson River School too, but my favorite painter (aside from myself
) is Remedios Varo. She was a Spanish Surrealist.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Rex Whistler.

I can't show you my favourite painting of his because it's an 18 metre (58ft) wide canvas. It's also in a National Trust property so pretty much impossible to find images of it online and you can't take photos of it.

It's just genius though. One example, on part of the mural he painted a ship. The 6th Marquess of Anglesey (who Rex was painted the mural for) didn't like the ship. So Rex painted over it and one thing he painted over it was a building. He painted scaffolding on the building as well which he said was so that he could take the building down if the Marquess didn't like it.

The last time I was at Plas Newydd the Earl of Uxbridge (the 7th Marquess' son (the 7th Marquess now being the 6th Marquess' son and he was there while Rex was painting the mural)) was actually in the dining room and he proceeded to tell everybody who was in the room the full story of the mural.

Here's a rather bad quality picture of some of it: http://www.oldukphotos.com/graphics/...7s%20Mural.jpg

It's just amazing the amount of things that he's painted into it and there's a whole backstory linked in with the family. Rex was in love with the 6th Marquess' eldest daughter, Lady Caroline and he's painted her several times over (and himself). For example, he's painted the Romeo and Juliet balcony scene into it with him as Romeo and Lady Caroline as Juliet. (Lady Caroline ended up married somebody else.)
He died fighting in WWII when he was 39.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I'm not sure this is the correct thread for me to post in.
I don't like modern art at all. I like the classics. I love Vincent Van Gogh. I love Rembrandt and his contemporaries from the Dutch Golden Age. I love Modligliani's art because of the colors he used. I don't really like Picasso's art except for Guernica.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
I like Winslow Homer.
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Digger, you have made the best thread I've seen on here
Thank you!

I like the Hudson River School too, but my favorite painter (aside from myself
) is Remedios Varo. She was a Spanish Surrealist.

these are amazing! love!!

i don't have a fav, but i love the Renaissance, Baroque and Byzantine periods. those were my fav gallaries when i was a docent. could spend days in there.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tablaqueen View Post

Marc Chagall, Zdzislaw Beksinski, Nick Bantock. At the moment anyway...And many others...
Marc Chagall has always been special to me though. I can't really explain why.
I love Chagall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts