1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Melanie's song, 'I don't eat animals', she tells us the following:<br><br>
"I don't eat white flour, white sugar makes you rot,<br>
Oh, white could be beautiful but mostly it's not."<br><br>
I've always been fascinated by this line but too bloody, ruddy lazy to research why. Therefore, as i always do, i turn to you!<br><br>
I've heard it said to avoid white flour, white sugar and white rice. Is there a specific reason for this?<br><br>
Educate me...

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
sugar is sugar in the body, white flour is like glue in your body, and white rice is freaking tasty.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
ok, the scientific stuff is that white flour and white rice have been greatly processed, removing the outer layers of the kernal, which is where most of the nutrition lies. Therefore, that is why flour and cereals and other food products have to be "enriched" and have the vitamins and minerals added back in, since they were removed. White flour is very pillowy, aka white bread-stick to the roof of your mouth kind of bread. Whole wheat or whole grains still have all of their pieces parts, which increases the fiber count for the food, increasing it's nutritional value, since all of the vitamins and minerals are still present, and it gives a little "heavier feeling or tooth" to the food.<br><br>
how this effects your body, is that foods with little fiber metabolize more quickly, increasing your blood sugar rapidly, causing a spike in the blood sugar, requiring your pancreas to send out insulin to bring the blood sugar back down into normal range. This happens much more slowly with whole grains and higher fiber foods, which causes a much more stable blood sugar. You don't normally get those highs and lows when eating high fiber foods, vs a candy bar or a bottle of soda. Eat or drink one of those, and your sugar spikes, insulin gets released, blood sugar falls, you feel like crap and tired, and then you do it all over again, trying to get some energy or to wake up. Whole grains are the way to go - complex carbohydrates, vs simple sugars.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Not what I thought this thread was going to be about! Haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts