VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the main differences between white and brown rice?

Are they grown differently or go through some process to become white?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Brown rice is what happens when white rice and black rice loves each other very much.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The main difference is that white rice has been milled, which means the husk, bran, and germ has been removed, while brown rice typically has had only the husk removed.

With the bran, germ, and husk removed, the white rice ends up being much lower in micronutrients as well as fiber, but can be stored for longer and looks all shiny and pretty

There are definitely different types of rice, some being grown to be milled and some not, but that isn't really what defines it as white or brown, at least not from a nutritional perspective.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yea the brown rice is a whole grain, while white rice has had most of the nutrients removed in the bran and germ. eating white rice isn't really different than eating bread made of white flour. It's not unhealthy for you per se, it's just empty calories. brown rice has fiber and various minerals in it.

I eat pretty much only brown rice now, i got used to it pretty quick, it does have a bit more flavor to it. The cooking time is a lot longer, at least double of what white rice is. I use a rice cooker and its usually about 40 minutes for brown rice. you'll need more water too than you would for white rice.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

What are the main differences between white and brown rice?

Are they grown differently or go through some process to become white?
My official difference:

White rice is tasty.
Brown rice is gross.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

My official difference:

White rice is tasty.
Brown rice is gross.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's the other way around.
White rice: blah
Brown rice: fanflippintastic!!!

White rice doesn't taste that bad but it's not full of the good stuff that brown rice is and therefore I'm starving an hour after I eat it. Brown rice is so much tastier and filling.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! It's the other way around.
White rice: blah
Brown rice: fanflippintastic!!!

White rice doesn't taste that bad but it's not full of the good stuff that brown rice is and therefore I'm starving an hour after I eat it. Brown rice is so much tastier and filling.
See, i don't care if it doesn't have other stuff in it because i get the other stuff from other places, and white rice > brown rice in regards to taste!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

With the bran, germ, and husk removed, the white rice ends up being much lower in micronutrients as well as fiber, but can be stored for longer and looks all shiny and pretty
yes, the food security issue is a solid advantage. i mean historically people have payed their taxes with rice. not a bad idea to have a few 10 pound bags of white rice in your pantry.

i like the taste of brown rice better but when i cook i tend to replace rice with quinoa since it's just better nutritionally and not in a subtle way but the lysine and protein levels just kick rice's ass really.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Brown rice is what happens when white rice and black rice loves each other very much.
I sometimes wonder if you have been 'out of the box' for so long that you've forgotten where the box is Envy - Lol!

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

yes, the food security issue is a solid advantage. i mean historically people have payed their taxes with rice. not a bad idea to have a few 10 pound bags of white rice in your pantry.

i like the taste of brown rice better but when i cook i tend to replace rice with quinoa since it's just better nutritionally and not in a subtle way but the lysine and protein levels just kick rice's ass really.
The quinoa idea is not a bad one all! Especialy with rice being the third most 'destructive' crop on the planet (apparently).

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well I eat both white and brown rice regularly to match whatever else Im cooking, like broccoli stir fry goes with white jasmine, brown rice in burritos etc.

the main reason i asked about the difference is bc they cost different. seems like white rice should cost more since its more processed, but brown rice actually costs more per lb than white rice, especially brown basmati and jasmine. I can't afford to eat quinoa as a sub for rice, it is 3-4 times the cost.

cooking brown rice in a pressure cooker reduces the longer cooking time to about the same as white rice in a rice cooker. sometimes i make both kinds as my bf doesn't like brown rice much at all, so in order for dinner to be on time I cook brown rice in pressure cooker and white rice in rice cooker and it ends up being the same amount for both.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Not long ago, white rice did cost more. But due to advances in processing efficiency, the fact that it can be stored for longer now tends to have more of an effect on the cost than the processing does.

Contrary to popular belief, before the 20th century China and Japan did not subsist on white rice. This transformation did not occur until such processing advances made white rice more economical. Prior to this it was considered a luxury.

I personally prefer brown rice, or even that black wild rice which is awesome (and expensive). My girlfriend, however, prefers white rice. I therefore find myself eating more white rice lately

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

Same. I only eat rice when I'm out and it's the only vegan option.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

My official difference:

White rice is tasty.
Brown rice is gross.
Yes I agree, I have gotten both at once one time last year, the brown rice I had to force myself to eat but the white rice went down smoothly.

I love Jasmine rice.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I can't afford to eat quinoa as a sub for rice, it is 3-4 times the cost.
yeah i guess it's considered a premium grain at least when you buy it at a regular hypermarket. costco always has 5lb bags for under 10 bucks.

I like Basmati rice too. 10lb bag in my pantry now.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Same. I only eat rice when I'm out and it's the only vegan option.
Yup, even at that I get half or use only half of it.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
If you favor one type of rice (brown or white) over the other, does that make you a riceist?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts