VeggieBoards banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shopping at Wal-Mart with my children and put some beer in the cart along with some other groceries. When we reached the check out counter, we began to unload our cart. My 15-year-old son happened to put the beer on the conveyer belt. (Which I didn't even notice at the time.)<br><br><br><br>
Suddenly, another clerk came up and took the beer, stating that since my son had put the beer on the belt, we could not purchase it! I was stunned...and said HE isn't buying the beer, I am...but arguing was no use. She even said, "Children aren't even supposed to be ON the isle with alcohol." What?? Half of that isle has soda pop!<br><br><br><br>
I paid for the groceries, told my kids to go to the car and went back and got another 6 pack, bought it and left the store.<br><br><br><br>
When I got home, I called to speak to a manager, but he said that it was the clerks discretion about whether to sell alcohol to someone or not.<br><br><br><br>
Anyone ever heard of anything like this?!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
That is crazy. But I guess that in America, the country where it is easier to get a gun than abeer, i coul not be surprised at such idiocy. (I'm not mocking america here, justt he idiotic alcohol laws and attitudes towards alcohol expressed in american society.)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by Loki</i><br><br><b>I'm not mocking america here, justt he idiotic alcohol laws and attitudes towards alcohol expressed in american society.</b></div>
</div>
<br>
Yeah. I don't drink, but it really irks me that here in Georgia, they don't sell alcohol on Sundays. Of course, if I really wanted to, I could just go on post to buy it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That's a totally idiotic situation. Unbelievable!<br><br><br><br>
------------------------------<br><br>
" But I guess that in America, the country where it is easier to get a gun than abeer, i coul not be surprised at such idiocy."<br><br>
----------------<br><br><br><br>
I totally disagree ... in every country you get idiodic things happening.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
i know dk, but america is the joker in the pack when it comes to alcohol regulation. It's only beaten by countries which outright ban it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No alcohol before noon on Sunday...and that also means no alcohol sold after midnight on Saturday.<br><br><br><br>
But this wasn't on a Sunday, just after school. And the clerk had a nazi type attitude, too...like I had let my child handle crack or something. It was very weird.<br><br><br><br>
Tame, I would love to know how you feel about this...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
> But I guess that in America, the country where<br><br>
> it is easier to get a gun than abeer<br><br><br><br>
That's not true.<br><br><br><br>
But there are idiotic things in America, e.g. this alc thing. But speaking of guns, the gun law is more crazy IMO.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
When I was in college, one of the grocery stores would make everyone who was with you show ID if you were buying alcohol. If anyone in line was underage, they wouldn't sell to you (this system was easily bypassed) Of course, this was in a college town with a high incidence of underage drinking. One clerk even carded my mom when she bought beer while visiting ( my mom thanked him profusely hehe).<br><br><br><br>
That clerk sounds like a moron, but what can you expect at Wal-Mart? Personally, I would have left all my stuff on the belt and walked out, but I have a very low tolerance for poor service.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I know when I worked as a store clerk ages ago...that say, if two people came through the line that were obviosly together/friends we were supposed to card both of them if we though for any reason someone might be buying alcohol for a minor...and we could refuse to sell alcohol to anyone for any reason. Mind you this was ages ago...like when the drinking age just changed from 18 to 21. But as far as parents buying alcohol with their children present...I've never heard of that being a problem? That would have made me very cranky.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hey, it's better than K-mart.<br><br><br><br>
Of course walmart has strict beer rules! They don't even sell "parental advisory" rated CDs! I don't usually buy Parental Advisory CDs but i've heard they don't sell them and I think it's kind of dumb.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you dudes can buy alcoholic beer in grocery stores ? wow how convienent! . in canda here we can only buy .5 alc beverages in grocery stores.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would have walked away from the crap right there on the spot. That was disrespectful to you. Anyone that's disrespectful doesn't deserve my money. I've set stuff right in the floor before, dead where I stand only to leave clerks with their jaws hanging open due to disrespect. Nope, as far as I'm concerned consumers are paying their wages. You da boss! Demand respect!

·
Registered
0 Posts
<div class="quote-container"><span>Quote:</span>
<div class="quote-block"><i>Originally posted by V3gan</i><br><br><b>you dudes can buy alcoholic beer in grocery stores ? wow how convienent! . in canda here we can only buy .5 alc beverages in grocery stores.</b></div>
</div>
<br><br><br>
Our state liquor stores are in the grocery stores here in Ohio. I'm not sure about other states though.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
"in canda here we can only buy .5 alc beverages in grocery stores."<br><br><br><br><br><br>
What is the point of those anyway LOL<br><br><br><br>
Yeah we have to go to the liquor store but I don't see anything wrong with that . Would seem odd to me (due to what I'm used to) to see beer at walmart

1 - 20 of 93 Posts