VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
seeker and optimist
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know how they spin a few times before settling in? I just noticed that my dog spins counter-clockwise. I was wondering if this was somehow 'default'.

Perhaps dogs in the southern Hemisphere spin clockwise?

·
Registered
255 Posts
My German Shepherd spins clockwise when we are walking to the back door to go outside. He gets going so fast (nose to tail as he makes his way to the door) that we call it "going into his spin cycle"

Sorry to foil your hypothesis- I, too live in the Northern hemisphere.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I haven't seen my dog spin in a while (I'm away at school), but I'm pretty sure she goes counter-clockwise. She very rarely does it, though, so it's to know if she even has a set pattern.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
While I do not personally have a dog I can attest that I, myself, spin counter clockwise. I live in the Southern Hemisphere.

·
Registered
131 Posts
just watched this morning

3 dogs -

2 clockwise, 1 hasn't spun yet. will wait and see!

I had never paid attention to this before

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This is one funny thread!!!!

Do all of your dogs always spin in the same direction?

Alas, my childhood doggy lives at my parents and doesn't spin (or move) nearly as much as she used to. She has arthritis.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

While I do not personally have a dog I can attest that I, myself, spin counter clockwise. I live in the Southern Hemisphere.
Unfortunatly I spin clockwise, and am also from the southern hemisphere. I have to admit that I didn't take this seriously at first but now I have to say that spinning counter-clockwise feels really wrong.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My dog doesn't spin before laying down, but he does do very fast counterclockwise spins when excited. He becomes a whirling dervish. I'm fairly certain pets have a handedness just like humans. Just for fun fold your hands with fingers intertwined (like when praying). Notice which thumb is on top, now try to do it with the other thumb on top. Feels wrong doesn't it!

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
One of my sibes does what I call a top impression. He spins at warp speed in one direction, then stops and immediately spins in the other direction. He does it when he doesn't get enough exercise and when he sees me getting his food ready. (We're still working on the being calm before you get your bowl thing. He's not been too quick to catch onto that.)

He can even do his top act on the end of the couch, w/o stepping on me and w/o falling off. He's quite talented.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

bear never spins. he just flops over.
Paris rarely does. She usually gets these huge bursts of energy, runs around the house like a maniac, then slides onto her pillow like a baseball player sliding into base. Then she lies there as calm as can be.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ozzie dosnt usually spin before plopping down on his futon(one of the ikea types that are close to the ground), he just moves his blankey around. he does spin when he gets excited about going outside or getting his dinner, then he sipin counter-clockwise.sometimes he circles me

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My dog didn't spin, either. He followed people around, not his tail.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
My dog spins on command by telling him to "Turn". He always turns clockwise, even when I try to bait him to turn counter-clockwise.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My dogs don't spin before settling in. The older one, however, spins before he poos, and sometimes WHILE he's pooing. Have I got a story for you about spinning and squirting when he had the runs.....

·
Registered
572 Posts
i payed attention today and i'll have to say my dog spins clockwise when doing his excited "we're going for a walk" jumping in circles spin.

his settling in to lay down spin goes either way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts