VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a LOOOOONG time since I bought and used tofu, and I'm in a different state now, so I'm forgetting what I used to know.

Isn't Silken tofu the kind that is usually in the aisle with the asian sauces and noodles? (and why can't I find it??)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yep.

In my supermarket, the silken tofu is still refridgerated with the water-packed, though. Have you looked there?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guess I'll keep looking!
At least I know I'm not losing my mind completely~ it's seriously been 6-7 years since I worked with it last. Must buy some cheesecloth while I'm at it.... Or is that more for the water-packed?

Feel like a newbie, LOL

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
You could buy cheesecloth or you could just wrap the curd style in a clean dishtowel and press it under a heavy weight (a plate of some sort with a couple of large cans on it should do the trick). If you try to press silken style, you'll have a right mess on your hands.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

You could buy cheesecloth or you could just wrap the curd style in a clean dishtowel and press it under a heavy weight (a plate of some sort with a couple of large cans on it should do the trick). If you try to press silken style, you'll have a right mess on your hands.
Good to know!
I figured it was to get the water out of the water-packed version... but who knows. It's been forever~ Not sure I ever did find silken tofu, though I do remember looking for it way back when. Here's hoping I can find it here!

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
Silken tofu comes both aseptically shelf stable packed and water packed in the fridge section.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does specify "silken" on the packaging, right? I looked and looked at what I could find, and didn't see that word anywhere. Then the kids started to lose it so I headed for the counter. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
If it's Mori-Nu brand, it will say "silken" on the packaging and quite plainly, too. I'm not sure about other brands, though. Some brands have it prominently displayed and other times, they have it practically in contract print - it all depends on the brand.

But here's Mori-Nu's product information so you can get an idea of what their products look like, at least.

eta: in another store round here, they keep their tofu on the shelf in the health food section. I can't remember what it was near as I was in a hurry at the time, but I do remember thinking it was an odd place to have tofu (I think it was near the organic baby food or something? Like I said, it was a really strange place to shelve it). Maybe in your store it's by something odd, too like maybe the BBQ supplies?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.