VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crap. So I heated up a tin of beans in my new stainless steel saucepan, and afterward I rinsed it out with cold water and now it looks stained. Is it rust? I heated some baked beans in tomato sauce, I hope it's just that. How do I clean stainless steel?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The acids in some foods can make the pots like that..It will wear off in time..Last time I made spag. sauce in mine that happened and anoter time I made peas with nuts and salt and it happened too...No worries..Its normal until the pots and pans get seasoned.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I recently heard about this thing too with teflon being bad for us. I have a full set of teflon pans unfortunately.
The good news is they are in bad shape so a shopping trip in the near future is warranted!
I guess with a vegan diet not as much stuff sticks right? What about potatoes though? Anybody know what I should look for in a pan when I go shopping?

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Oh, stuff sticks with a vegan diet!
rice, noodles, tofu, potatoes... Oil works, though. You can get spray oil if you're worried about amount.

I mostly use either cast iron or stainless steel. Teflon really isn't dangerous unless you're heating the pan to like 700F.

And, I don't think you season stainless steel. You can clean food stains off stainless steel by using Barkeeper's Friend and a scrubbie, which work amazingly well. Makes my SS look shiny and new!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I work with alot of plastics and although I don't have any scientific proof of their safety, I would not heat that crap up and put it next to food. Nonstick=evil.

The best pans I ever cooked with were solid aluminum, but that's apparently not such a good idea either. I recommend aluminum or copper sandwiches.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I've been thinking about this lately too! We need to buy a new frying pan and some bakeware.

I'm trying to avoid the aluminum as much as possible, so I'm looking for some stainless steel cookie sheets, etc., but they're proving hard to find here. I might look for a couple of baking stones as well. They work really well for pizza, cookies, etc. Glass works well for some things too.

Top of the stove, we've some stainless steel and some cast iron.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Stainless steel is best, no doubt at all. When stuff sticks, scrub hard using the metallic sponges. It all comes off ! I have been cooking with the same stainless steel set for 25 years now and all my pots are still in very good shape. Make sure to get thick-bottomed ones (they mostly are). Except if you use an induction stove, which requires specific cookware.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I used cast iron for much of my cooking. I love that you can not hurt it and that you get additional iron from it. They are heavy, so I guess a work out is part of the benefit too...lol

I do have one teflon plan that I use for eggs, but I've been thinking of getting rid of that too. They are actually trying to phase out the making of teflon. I figure if you can't keep a bird in the kitchen if you are cooking with it, it can't really be all that good for me either (I know it's a high heat thing, but better safe than sorry.)

·
Registered
897 Posts
we use cast iron, iron, stainless, and some glass. of the pans, my wok, the cheapest of them all, works the best.

i've read conflicting things about teflon and aluminum - better to err on the side of caution, i would think.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

I've been thinking about this lately too! We need to buy a new frying pan and some bakeware.

I'm trying to avoid the aluminum as much as possible, so I'm looking for some stainless steel cookie sheets, etc., but they're proving hard to find here. I might look for a couple of baking stones as well. They work really well for pizza, cookies, etc. Glass works well for some things too.

Top of the stove, we've some stainless steel and some cast iron.
I found my stainless steel baking sheets for $10 each at Wild Oats.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

Crap. So I heated up a tin of beans in my new stainless steel saucepan, and afterward I rinsed it out with cold water and now it looks stained. Is it rust? I heated some baked beans in tomato sauce, I hope it's just that. How do I clean stainless steel?
I have this stuff called Bar Keepers Friend. It's specifically for stainless steel and won't scratch...not anymore expensive than Comet but it's really fine. Just make sure you clean in circular motion around the pot and not side to side or back and forth.

Make sure if you cook with salt, especially sea salt to rinse out the pan right away or else the steel will get marks that are call pits. They are really pits but resemble pits because they are little dots of discoloration.

I love my stainless steel cookware.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
What also works is, if the pan is still really hot, put a little water in the pan and it will sizzle. Use a flipper/spatula to stir the stuck-on stuff right off, and it works pretty well. Remi taught me that trick - works like a charm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts