Sugar is best

yet

closer to death.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

I've only tried soy and rice. I like them both equally.
apostasy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try some hazelnut, oat, or multigrain

gogogogogoogogogoogogogogoogogogogogo!11111eleven1 11!1oneone!!11

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Hazelnut milk, hm? This is something I need to try [I am allergic to soy so I have been considering my alternatives but I'm not a fan of rice milk ... too watery for me].

Thank you for the suggestion. It's going on the shopping list.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fresh soy milk is awesome (well, some brands are, we have Sanitarium So Milky, mmmmm goood) but I'm allergic to it so almond milk. I make it myself though cause I like it super thick and creamy and the one's you buy always taste watery. Rice milk to me tastes like dishwater but I use it to cook with as it's so cheap and almond milk gets kinda expensive. Hazelnut milk was wayyy too sweet for me (and I have a sweet tooth!!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

Fresh soy milk is awesome (well, some brands are, we have Sanitarium So Milky, mmmmm goood) but I'm allergic to it so almond milk. I make it myself though cause I like it super thick and creamy and the one's you buy always taste watery. Rice milk to me tastes like dishwater but I use it to cook with as it's so cheap and almond milk gets kinda expensive. Hazelnut milk was wayyy too sweet for me (and I have a sweet tooth!!)
how do you make it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I generally use a little more than a cup of raw almonds. Soak them in a bowl of cold tap water overnight (anywhere from 8 hours to 16 hours, this makes them sprout which makes them healthier). Drain them, chuck boiling water over them for 5 minutes, put them back into cold water and squeeze the skins off them. I then throw them in the food processor and whizz them until they get pasty and then add cold water to them (usually I end up putting in about 4 cups but I do it in 2 lots). Take a piece of muslin (cheesecloth) and strain the liquid through. Chill in the fridge and drink cold. Mmmmm. It can be a bit fiddly trying to get it just how you like it. Like I said I like it thick but general rule of thumb is one cup almonds to 4 cups water. You can also add maple syrup or sugar or whatever to sweeten it if you like or some vanilla extract. I keep it very plain that way it's more versatile and add what I want when I want it. It also makes super yummy chocolate "milk". This makes a litre (roughly) which lasts about 3 days (depends how much you drink, you could halve everything).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My aunt gave us a bunch of nuts, i think there is a bag of almonds somewhere around here. Maybe I'll make some. If my mom will let me use her kitchen that is.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
All I've tried is soy milk. I like Silk extra vanilla the best. Their plain "enhanced" is pretty good in cereal, and I also sometimes by chocolate for variety.

I keep thinking I should try other types of non-cow milk, or at least other brands of soy milk, but every time I check the labels, I see that Silk is the healthiest. As long as I'm happy with it, and it's so healthy, I don't see the point in switching.

--Fromper

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rice milk is my favourite!

·
Registered
31 Posts
all the different milks are useful in their own way.

for just drinking, or adding to coffee use soy milk

when baking use rice milk (although it's not very tasty to drink alone)

almond milk is also good to drink, although it gets pricey.

oat milk has its own kind of flavor, but if you like it, its good to drink.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts