• I made fun of/laughed at/bullied/ostracized other kids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was made fun of/laughed at/bullied/ostracized

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I think a lot of the 'bullies' might not be aware of how their teasing affected other people. Usually there is one big bully who is a nasty person, and a lot of people who follow the main bully around a lot, and aren't that bad, but contribute to the bullying nonetheless.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
I'm on the neither side. I was laughed at a little because I was in the "smart kids" class from grades 2-5, but I was fairly social, outgoing, and not afraid to stand up for myself (not to mention I had way better comebacks) so I was never particularly bullied. I just stayed away from the obnoxious kids and all was quiet.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Adding on to what I've said.. I still feel bad about kindergarten. My friends and I made a (pretend) fort on the playground and called it the "we hate ____ club." I forget her name, but I think it was Shawna. She used to cry because we wouldn't let her play on the jungle gym. She moved at the end of the school year.

I wish I could say I'm sorry to her. I honestly mean that.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Teased all the time. I got called smelly, ugly, fat, lesbian, virgin, slut...my girlfriend and I used to call ourselves the "lesbian virgin sluts" for a laugh sometimes. I wore glasses and was "smart" and lived in the same small town for almost my entire school career, so it was the same kids every year and rarely changed.

I teased back to make myself feel better. Now I've almost forgotten about it, and don't bear any ill-will against my classmates. They were young and stupid, so was I, we're all different people now.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I was teased a little bit. I remember that I had a monitor (an older kid who would watch the kids in each class at recess or lunch) and she always picked on me from some reason. She was in the eighth grade and my class was second grade.

I was very shy and never said anything but she always picked on me. She always made comments that I thought I was a princess because I had nice long blonde hair and a was cute little girl (which is weird because I never thought of that stuff). I used to not want to go to school (my mom had to DRAG me in the school a few times ) because of her.

Now that I look back on it, I wonder if she just didn't like me because she was NOT blonde and overweight. (honestly, she was NOT a pretty girl). That is only thing I can think of that it might of been because I avoided her like the plague. She didn't pick on anyone else. Thank god, she quit being our monitor after a while because my mom made me talk to my teacher about her. I hated her.

Other than that, there was this guy in my same grade that used to call me toothpick because I was skinny. I found out later he had a crush on me! Which makes sense now because he was skinnier than i was!

I got bullied in High School a few times. Some girl tried to steal my watch.

I never picked on anyone. My friends and I would gossip about people we didn't like but never bullied anyone.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I was bullied mercilessly. I was the new kid in a very small junior high whose student population had been together since preschool, and in most cases lived right next to each other.

I was shy, small, and very reserved, and at a time when many of them were experimenting with beer, sex, etc., I didn't even cuss. It was fairly obvious from the outset I would never break into this close-knit group. Instead, I became their target. Like the poster above, I was called lesbian, virgin, dog, slut, etc. etc. (I was threatened with being "beat up," but thankfully that never happened.) One group of girls even made up a "lezzy chant" for me when they saw me.

Because I had no one to stick up for me, nothing I could do would make it stop. In a school so small, I felt like I was being constantly watched for the tiniest slipup. One day wore a shirt that had a cat on it. Before the end of the day, they were commenting on my "P***y shirt" and saying that I had sex with cats.

A lot of it seems so stupid now, but going through it for the first time was extremely painful. I hated school and would sometimes fake sick so I could go home. I do think that the bullying I experienced as an adolescent has continued to shape some aspects of myself even as an adult.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
A little of both, but not too bad. I was teased a little because I was so small (this still happens even though I'm 37!), and because I developed early. I think being teased about my boobs gave me a few body image issues to overcome...

There was a period of time in 4th grade when a few other girls and I would tease and ostracize two other girls, one of whom had previously been my best friend. It got pretty ugly and I'm still not sure what was going on with me that I did that--it's just so unlike anything else I've ever done. The only thing I can think of is that I was a bit jealous of my ex-best friend's friendship with the other girl, who was new. Years later I still felt terrible about the whole thing. I did actually get the chance to apologize to one of them (the former best friend) when I was in my 20s. She was completely forgiving, but I have to admit, I still feel guilty!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Bullied. I was overweight & smart and bad at anything sporty. I had the nickname "butterfingers" throughout most of grade school because I was pudgy and sucked at PE (I always dropped the ball in dodgeball). In middle school I was nicknamed "prude" & was smart. In college I was quiet, didn't do drugs, and was smart. And constantly picked on.

But it felt good at my 10-year reunion to show up & have people be shocked at who I was & what I was doing for a living. So those people, most of them never having left the same neighborhood in which we grew up, can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bullied. Being a straight A student and generally the teacher's pet when you

(1) are the youngest kid in the class,

(2) wear orthopedic shoes and can't run and play like the other kids,

(3) wear thick glasses,

(4) dress VERY differently from all the other kids,

(5) are considered the "rich kid" in the class,

(6) go to a church school, but NOT the associated church, and

(7) get publicly ridiculed by the school principal for not going to the associated church (or participating in various church/school events)

makes elementary school an experience sooner forgotten. Homeschooling kept me from having to deal with middle or high school, and by the time I reached college, I'd learned to hold my on. Elementary school was torture, though. Funny thing was, after I grew up and went on to become managing editor of a group of weekly newspapers in the area, the chairman of the board of that school had the nerve to call me up and ask if we would do a special section celebrating the school's 30th anniversary ... seeing as how I had supposedly gotten my start there.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Shouldn't there be a 'neither' option on the poll? That's what I'd pick as the other two options don't apply to my situation.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I consider myself lucky because apart from some gentle teasing about the 'weird alternative music' I liked, I was never really teased or bullied at school.

I used spend a bit of time consoling the kids that were bullied though

·
Registered
491 Posts
school was absolut hell for me. i was locked in closets, kicked in the head and back etc. unfortunately, in a way my home life was worse.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
At the time I felt like I was mercilessly bullied, but looking back it wasn't that bad. In primary school I was teased for being shy and quiet and having strange habits. In the start of high school (11 - 13 ish - I'm in a two tier system) I was picked on a lot by a "friend" who I don't think realised how much she hurt other people. After that I pretty much formed a close group of friends and we got to not caring what other peole said about us. We were the dorks of our school and I'm sure that people were mean about us all the time but we didn't care, most of the time. This definitely helped when me and my girlfriend were "outed" near the end of highschool and we were the talk of the school for a bit. My g/f bore the brunt of that though (and I still feel bad about that) so I don't really know if I can comment on how bad that was.

Oh, and earlier there was also this very nasty kid in my yeargroup who would whisper all sorts of things when the teacher wasn't paying attention in all lessons he sat next to me in. He would say things about raping my sister and my mum, and the like.

Me and my friends kind of have a mean sense of humour and are quite sarcastic and mocking, but I don't consider it "bullying" because it was always joking around behind people's backs and it was usually people who had equal/more 'power' in the relationship, like our NCOs in Air Cadets. So on the whole I would say I was bullied more than I was a bullier.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bullied big time. Was thinking about this the other day.. as now I'm rather popular. Im so glad school is over haha. Now I wouldnt take much crap.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avocado View Post

school was absolut hell for me. i was locked in closets, kicked in the head and back etc. unfortunately, in a way my home life was worse.

as hellish and brutal as school could be, it was a refuge from the dysfunction at home.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

I'm sorry, isn't your name Amy?

Amy, that's a lovely name! Amy, we love you! Amy, you're awesome! Amy! Amy! Amy!

As someone whose name (My real name is SarahJayn. Spelled like that. No, that's not a typo. There's no space. I know. And, yes, the "J" is capitalized. Yes, after the "h," and no, again, no space. SIGH.) was fodder for bullies (the super-sexy neckbrace and other gadgets and whatnots in middle school probably didn't help either, I give you this:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~geoffo/humour/flattery.html

Try it, you'll like it!
No No No No! Not because of my FIRST name! Because of my LAST name!

It rhymes with pisher.

You can shorten it to Fish.

I got called "Fish" and "Fishy".

People said I smelled like a fish.

This was loooooooooooooooong before the Amy Fisher incident in NY, but you can bet your boots that if I was in school when that happened, it would have made things worse, MUCH worse.

·
Banned
4,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahjayn1980 View Post

What dicks!

Heh - I feel your pain, sister! My whole name (well, without the super-long middle name) is SarahJayn Kemp. My parents are hippie-like, so . . .

"Mary Jane Hemp!"

I was teased mercilessly with that. People threw cigarette (I think) butts at me. It was horrible.
But that is part of what makes you a compassionate teacher.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well, I wasn't heavily bullied and knocked around to other kid's liking, but I did have a gap between my 2 front teeth, so that was the target of my name-calling. Though I was a very, very pretty little girl. By the time I was in the 8th grade however, I started hanging out with the goths and became an a**hole to go along with my friends.

I remember now that we only made fun of people that were OBVIOUSLY lower, and left the "cool" kids alone. Huh-- how understandable is THAT?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts