Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was made fun of/laughed at/bullied/ostracized

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you make fun of other kids more than they did to you? Or vice versa? And when you were teased or made fun of (everyone was) how did you handle it? What about physical aggression? What was your style of defense? Did you talk about other kids? Socially ostracize? Directly name-call or laugh at? Did you join in, ignore, or resist other kids efforts to be mean to other kids? I am thinking primarily grades k-6.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I was teased. And teased. And teased.

Because of my name.

Because I looked funny.

Because I had hairy legs.

Because I was a late bloomer.

Just because.

My mother told me to just ignore the teasing and bullying, so I did. Or tried to.

So all that did was allow the other kids to just continue to do it.

I don't want to think about that part of my life any more, thank you.

·
Registered
0 Posts
In elementary and middle school I was teased some, but I stood up for myself and noone really messes with me now. I dont really talk to people and people dont really talk to me. It works. (I'm in 10th grade)

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I was never bullied really badly. There was this one kid in 1st grade who was kind of a troublemaker. He once grabbed the back of my hoodie and sort of choked me for a minute. I thought it was really cool because now I had a bullying story to tell. And that was the end of my victim days.

There was one catty girl that I didn't get along with, but I don't know if it ever really progressed to bullying, especially since I talked back to her. I was teased a little bit for my shyness/dorkiness and my height (I know I was a little annoyed that one girl called me "shrimp," but I never held it against her), but it never got very nasty and I brushed it off. Part of it was because when people teased me, I kind of played along and adopted whatever trait they were giving me. "I know I'm short, aren't I lucky! I never bump my head!" It got so that in high school, all my "bullies" who had progressed with flirting with me for fun (we would never have dated--I once said yes when one of them asked if we would go out. His reaction was priceless and he broke up with me half an hour later) joined together and voted me into homecoming court. It would never have worked if they were truly mean-spirited and determined to hurt me, but other people who didn't take their actions in the same vein I did felt bullied by them.

I was really lucky. My graduating class was very close-knit all throughout all of our school years. I probably wouldn't have survived school if I was a year younger. That class was vicious.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I was bullied a few times in my childhood....it was not fun...but I did have a group of friends and was accepted by them just fine. As far as being teased, I was, mainly because of my curly hair.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Neither. I gave and received occassional biting remarks, but it wasn't bad. I felt like I didn't fit in with most people, but the vast majority of the kids I knew growing up were homeschooled, and they had been trained never to tease or make fun others. I'm not saying they didn't do it anyway, sometimes, but there was a lot more positive adult supervision than I get the impression most classroom settings have. I had my people I disliked, generally the class clown boys, but the adults never let anything get too nasty.

I've never been in a fistfight or other physical confrontation. Unless you count the time when I was 14, Colin almost punched me for teasing him about liking Julie. I realized at that point I was only funny to myself, so I dropped the subject permanently.

And, except for those creepy strangers you run into at the downtown library, I was never worried for my physical safety. The kids I knew had varying opinions about me, but it would never escalate to violence.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was teased a little in middle school, but I did some pretty bad teasing of my own when I was in kindergarten. I wasn't very nice to this one girl in particular. So I voted for the first option.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I was teased and bullied a lot. We moved around a lot, so I was always the "new kid". Plus I was overweight, didn't do well at all in P.E., I was a smart kid, I wore glasses, I smelled funny.... You remember that kid from your class, right? that was me.

Add to all of that, we usually lived in small towns in Oklahoma, like Nash, Carmen, Dacoma, Bramen, Medford, Pawnee, Wakita... Add to all that, I was a gay-boy-to-be.... "Ostracized" doesn't begin to cut it...

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I was teased and bullied a lot. Mostly because I've always been little, overweight and shy, and because of my hearing issue. I was an easy target.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
What theories do we have to explain the poll results? I realize this thread hasn't been going very long, but the vast majority of us were on the receiving end of the bullying.

Is it...

1. People who post on online forums are more likely to have been picked on and use the internet as a safer place to make friends.

2. People who have been picked on feel more compassion toward animals and are more likely to become vegetarians and post on VB.

3. People who have been picked on are more likely to become the sort of vegetarians who would post on VB, while most vegetarians are not.

4. It's a mix on VB, but mainly those who were bullied were attracted to this thread.

5. The bullies are waiting for the wimps to cry for a bit before swooping in to steal the attention.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I got made fun of a lot, because I was skinny, I cried a lot, and I got good grades, along with other reasons.

eta: oh, and because I wore heels, because of the way I walk, and because I stuck up for other people.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I got made fun of a lot because of my hearing aids, and the times I wouldn't hear people talking to me. It was mainly after I'd moved to a new town. Before, I had been in a school for K-6th graders, so I'd known everyone for a long time. Then I moved when I was 10 and it crappy from then on.

I got made fun of for a lot of reasons, too.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Skylark, I think vegetarians are generally more compassionate people and less likely to have been bullies. And if there was an option never bullied nor been bullied, I would have picked that.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Netiher. Maybe I got teased occasionally (and still do) I was never outright bullied. Although in elementary I was deathly scared of older kids, because I thought that the second they will see me, they will beat me up!

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I just think victims have always outnumbered the bullies... we all just suffered in silence, rather than joining forces...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts