VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read whey powder protein is a by product of cheese however its not made of rennet, so is it still ethically wrong as vegetarian for having it?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Good question.
According to these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey
...it is a by-product of the cheese-making process...AFTER the rennet has been added and has done its work making the cheese. Then, the by-product of whey is removed. Whey itself doesn't have any rennet.

It seems to me, that this is lumped in the same category as leather, if we see leather as a by-product of the beef industry. When they slaughter the cows, they have all this leather lying around. When they make cheese, they have all this whey lying around.

Learn all you can about the process, and ask yourself if you feel any guilt.
"Officially," whey is just as okay as drinking milk.
But really, its lost in this grey area.

·
Registered
888 Posts
When I was a veggie, my rule was that I only ate whey if it came from vegetarian rennet cheese-making (looked for the 'V' sign). I know Oreos in the UK are not considered vegetarian (by the Oreos company) because the whey in them is extracted from non veg rennet cheese.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I think for a vegetarian this is probably splitting hairs a little; yes, whey is a by-product of cheese, but unless you e-mail every company and ask if their rennet that the cheese is made with that the whey came from is vegetarian-friendly, it's difficult to know. I can't see an awful lot of point in avoiding only some whey. Either eat it, or don't.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
it also depends on if you're a lacto veg. If you avoid dairy, then no, if you drink it, then you can decide for yourself.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I think for a vegetarian this is probably splitting hairs a little; yes, whey is a by-product of cheese, but unless you e-mail every company and ask if their rennet that the cheese is made with that the whey came from is vegetarian-friendly, it's difficult to know. I can't see an awful lot of point in avoiding only some whey. Either eat it, or don't.
All the big UK companies (cadbury, nestle etc) know about the whey issue and that's why only some of their chocolate is labelled vegetarian. If it's labelled that way then no animal rennet was used. My take on it was that I avoided animal rennet cheese (Parmesan etc) so why not animal rennet whey? Its a pretty small drop in the ocean though, and I think each veggie can make their own mind up (I.e back then I didn't know that some wines and beers were filtered through fish and gelatine, and for a long time I didn't even know what veganism was).

If you do want to avoid animal rennet whey then (in the UK) nutella, Oreos and a lot of the kinder products and some Ferrero rocher types are all offenders, hence why you won't see 'suitable for vegetarians' marked on them.

·
Banned
3,056 Posts
why the obsession with extra protein? if you eat a balanced grain/legume diet, how could you be deficient in protein? it's "normal" in our society to eat 6-10 times the protein you need.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayamon View Post

why the obsession with extra protein? if you eat a balanced grain/legume diet, how could you be deficient in protein? it's "normal" in our society to eat 6-10 times the protein you need.
But what about all those people who get hospitalized for protein deficiency?

But whey is used for making all sorts of things and is not always related to needing protein right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use whey protein whenever I am weight lifting, which does require additional protein to build and maintain new muscle mass. When I am not lifting regularly, I don't use it and focus on getting a maintenance amount of protein daily. I am lacto-ovo, but in very limited amounts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a for sharing, I really got help. Can I ask you for a little bit more help, plz.
Actually, I need a little elaboration of ""Officially," whey is just as okay as drinking milk.
But really, its lost in this grey area.".
regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts