VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a rat, and I loved him oh-so-much. I would like to get one again. They're such sweet, intelligent creatures.

The problem is, I don't know where I should get one. Can you adopt a rat? Or do you have to get them at a pet store?

·
Registered
83,681 Posts
try www.petfinder.com category "small and furry" for your zip code and see if there are any rats available.

You can also check out the nearest animal shelter. You never know what kinds of animals they have; it's not just dogs and cats. If they don't have any rats, they might still be able to tell you of any rat rescues in the area.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is one called Wee Companions Small Animal Adoption! I'll call them for a screening. It looks like they have rats

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm...the information I'm looking up says that I should get two, since they're social animals. I don't mind getting two, but does anyone have experience with this? I only had one.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Please get two (or more!) rats. They ARE very social creatures. I "rescued" a rat from my brother's roommate. She was living in a plastic cage the size of a shoebox, on cedar bedding, eating bird seed. I immediately bought her a spacious cage, changed the bedding, and bought lab blocks. She was the absolute sweetest rat in the world. Wanted to be handled all day long, which obviously wasn't possible. She would sit by the door of her cage waiting for interaction. All. Day. Long. Chewing on the bars, she NEEDED interaction and stimulation.
I soon rescued two young rats through a rat rescue, and she thrived. Snuggled up in her hammocks with them, groomed, played...

Anyways. Yes, please get two! (Or more, heh)
Goosemoose.com is a fantastic rat forum. I haven't had rats for years and I still go there regularly
There is also an adoption section.
Wee Companions is an amazing organization btw!! I highly recommend them.

eta pictures

Meeting for the first time...

A day later

Three musketeers!

Eventually two of them passed away and I only had Fiona left. I did not plan on getting any more rats at the time, especially since she was older. But it became apparent that she needed companions...she definitely grieved when her sister passed away...so I couldn't help myself...

And so the cycle continued

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ChiKat, your ratties are adorable! I will definitely get two. And I'll check out that forum.

Thanks Karen, I'm excited too

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
I was going to suggest my house, since we have an infestation.
And no, not pet rats, either.

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I contacted Wee Companions and am going to their adoption event tomorrow. I'm so excited! They have a bonded trio of females, a mother and her two daughters. The mother was actually a former lab rat.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I contacted Wee Companions and am going to their adoption event tomorrow. I'm so excited! They have a bonded trio of females, a mother and her two daughters. The mother was actually a former lab rat.
Exciting! I hope you find some new little furry companions

You will have to update this thread with pix tho.
I love rats. We don't have any now because of the cats, dogs, and kid. But someday I'll have rats again.

·
Banned
3,829 Posts
Since joining here and hearing all about rats and things, I really want at least two now
I think I read somewhere that they're very social and playful and will even sit on your shoulders and cuddle and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I hope you can get them! That's such a wonderful adoption story, and since they're all related and an actual family that's even cuter
You have to post pictures when you are able to adopt your rats!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

I think I read somewhere that they're very social and playful and will even sit on your shoulders and cuddle and all.
My rat Aggie used to sleep in the hood of my sweatshirt
She loved to ride on my shoulder too

She was the rat I trusted the most to stay out of trouble (they're curious little things!) and she used to nap in my bed during the day, ha! I litter trained my rats and she never once had an "accident" in my bed

sequoia- Let us know how the adoption event goes!!

The absolute worst part about owning rats is their short life spans!! Only 2-3 years

Aggie had a tumor once:

It was benign but kept growing, so I got it removed and she lived a long time after that

They also love fishing for peas

Even my dogs love rats

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.