VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I fly into the States in less than 4 weeks for a 5 week holiday. I land in San Francisco and have already organised a week there (5 nights in SF and 2 nights in Yosemite). I know I also want to see New York and New Orleans.
Say I have a week in each of these cities, that gives me 2 free weeks to see other parts of the country. I have no desire to go to LA and wouldn't mind seeing Vegas but I'd rather go somewhere that doesn't have as well beaten a track.
I've heard wonderful things about all 3 cities mentioned in the title for various reasons and I'm having a really difficult time making up my mind (tough life, eh?). So hypothetically (I hope) say I never make it back to North America, which city should I make a priority? My interests are pretty inclusive - national parks, shopping, good food, music and nightlife, culture, etc.
Or if you can recommend somewhere else, I'm all ears!

Help?!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

So I fly into the States in less than 4 weeks for a 5 week holiday. I land in San Francisco and have already organised a week there (5 nights in SF and 2 nights in Yosemite). I know I also want to see New York and New Orleans.
Say I have a week in each of these cities, that gives me 2 free weeks to see other parts of the country. I have no desire to go to LA and wouldn't mind seeing Vegas but I'd rather go somewhere that doesn't have as well beaten a track.
I've heard wonderful things about all 3 cities mentioned in the title for various reasons and I'm having a really difficult time making up my mind (tough life, eh?). So hypothetically (I hope) say I never make it back to North America, which city should I make a priority? My interests are pretty inclusive - national parks, shopping, good food, music and nightlife, culture, etc.
Or if you can recommend somewhere else, I'm all ears!

Help?!
You've never been to LA and already you hate us?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,577 Posts
Hi Jaded, haven't seen you around in a while.


I think where you should go depends on what kind of person you are and what you're looking for. The US is just so varied from place to place, it's all worth seeing once just to make up your own mind. Personally, I really like LA and Vegas over and above anywhere else for the culture, the nightlife, the restaurants etc and don't care for anywhere in Texas (sorry Texas peeps!) I find New York to be vibrant, but a bit too dirty and chocka for my taste. Out of the three cities you mentioned though, I'd definitely recommend Portland for the cultural stuff.

Hope you have a good one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

So I fly into the States in less than 4 weeks for a 5 week holiday. I land in San Francisco and have already organised a week there (5 nights in SF and 2 nights in Yosemite). I know I also want to see New York and New Orleans.
Say I have a week in each of these cities, that gives me 2 free weeks to see other parts of the country. I have no desire to go to LA and wouldn't mind seeing Vegas but I'd rather go somewhere that doesn't have as well beaten a track.
I've heard wonderful things about all 3 cities mentioned in the title for various reasons and I'm having a really difficult time making up my mind (tough life, eh?). So hypothetically (I hope) say I never make it back to North America, which city should I make a priority? My interests are pretty inclusive - national parks, shopping, good food, music and nightlife, culture, etc.
Or if you can recommend somewhere else, I'm all ears!

Help?!
I recently went on a month-long trip around the U.S. mostly visiting the national parks and such.

This was our tentative schedule:
FIRST LEG - Remember on this leg time is on our side
5/6 Friday Leave at 5 AM. Arrive in opulent Omaha at 7PM. Sleep.
5/7 Saturday Leave Omaha at 7AM. Arrive at Badlands at 3PM. Set up Camp.
5/8 Sunday Badlands day! Hike, Explore, etc.
5/9 Monday Leave Badlands at 6AM Sightsee at Mt. Rushmore and neighboring locale for a bit. Depart for Yellowstone. Arrive in Yellowstone at 8PM. Set up Camp.
5/10 Tuesday Yellowstone Day! Hike, Wrestle Bears, etc.
5/11 Wednesday Yellowstone Day! Visit Old Faithful, Watch Bison, Go on scenic drive etc.
5/12 Thursday Leave Yellowstone at 7 AM. Arrive in Glacier National Park at 3 PM. Set up camp.
5/13 FridayGlacier Day!
5/14 Saturday Leave Glacier National Park at 7AM Arrive in Seattle at 7PM
BEGIN SECOND LEG
5/ 15 Sunday Seattle Day! Look for Coffee, rain, and grungy folk. (We can leave for Olympic during this night if we want.)
5/16 Monday Leave for Olympic at 7AM. Arrive during morning. Explore!
5/17 Tuesday Leave Olympic at 7AM. Swing by Portland. Arrive at Redwood NP at 5PM (We could stay in Portland for the night if we choose).
5/18 Wednesday Redwood Day!
5/19 Thursday Leave Redwood at 7AM. Arrive in San Francisco at 2PM
5/20 Friday San Franscisco Day.
BEGIN THIRD LEG
5/21 Saturday Pick up Dan. Explore San Francisco. Depart for LA in the evening.
5/22 Sunday Visit LA during AM. Arrive in Vegas in the evening. Dan plays a hand of Black Jack. Derek finds Hooker. Evan and Kayla sneak into casinos, possibly get kicked out and find Derek with hooker behind building. (Potentially begin drive to Zion it is only three hours away)
5/23 Monday (Potentially leave for Zion in at 7AM. Arrive at 11 AM). Do Angel's Landing Hike. Spend night at Zion.
5/24 Tuesday Leave for Grand Canyon at 7AM. Arrive at Noon.
5/25 Wednesday Grand Canyon Day.
5/26 Thursday Grand Canyon Day. Leave for Albuquerque in the evening.
5/27 Friday Albuquerque. Kayla flies back.
5/28 Saturday Dan Flies back possible. Evan and Derek haul ass to Ohio.
5/29 Sunday Dan flies back (possible). Head back to ohio.

A few things changed as we got caught up in San Fran after an unfortunate car break-in. But other than that, it was an amazing experience!
My favorite city was Portland. I loved the atmosphere, the people, the culture, everything.
My favorite park was Zion National Park. If you decide to go there, you HAVE to do the Angel's Landing climb. The most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. The most perfect and awe-inspiring view:


I didn't go to Chicago on this specific trip, but I've been a few times and I absolutely LOVE that city as well. It's just the coolest little city. Great museums, parks, views, people, etc.

I hope this is helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Go to Portland. This time of year the weather is perfect. It is a beautiful city and close the ocean, the mountains, and a number of other beautiful places.

Truth be told, I'm a bit jealous.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Go to Portland. This time of year the weather is perfect. It is a beautiful city and close the ocean, the mountains, and a number of other beautiful places.

Truth be told, I'm a bit jealous.
I'm very jealous!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Go to Portland. This time of year the weather is perfect. It is a beautiful city and close the ocean, the mountains, and a number of other beautiful places.

Truth be told, I'm a bit jealous.
Actually it's kind of hot here right now, but that could change in a minute and I think it's less hot than the rest of the country at the moment. It's still beautiful and there's lots of stuff to do. I'd recommend hiking in the Gorge. There are lots of vegan places to eat, including some that have guest musicians and other interesting events.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myria View Post

Actually it's kind of hot here right now, but that could change in a minute and I think it's less hot than the rest of the country at the moment. It's still beautiful and there's lots of stuff to do. I'd recommend hiking in the Gorge. There are lots of vegan places to eat, including some that have guest musicians and other interesting events.
Are you joking?
The high tomorrow is 77 degrees.

Austin is beautiful and a fun college town, but it is hot and oppressively humid.

Go to Portland.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Portland!!!!!

and drop into San Diego
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Oh, if you go to Portland visit the vegan mini-mall. It's fun
And the rose and Japanese gardens. And the art museum. And the PSU campus. And Powell's Bookstore. It's all lovely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

You've never been to LA and already you hate us?
haha not at all! But I'm going to be travelling solo (well except for meeting friends in NYC and hopefully making friends along the way) and LA seems like the kind of place where you're best off knowing a local who can show you places that aren't Venice beach/Rodeo drive/Disneyland.

Anyway looks like it's going to be Portland! I honestly had no idea Texas was in drought, shows how much research I've done! ha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylatarian View Post

I recently went on a month-long trip around the U.S. mostly visiting the national parks and such.

This was our tentative schedule:
FIRST LEG Remember on this leg time is on our side
5/6 Friday Leave at 5 AM. Arrive in opulent Omaha at 7PM. Sleep.
5/7 Saturday Leave Omaha at 7AM. Arrive at Badlands at 3PM. Set up Camp.
5/8 Sunday Badlands day! Hike, Explore, etc.
5/9 Monday Leave Badlands at 6AM Sightsee at Mt. Rushmore and neighboring locale for a bit. Depart for Yellowstone. Arrive in Yellowstone at 8PM. Set up Camp.
5/10 Tuesday Yellowstone Day! Hike, Wrestle Bears, etc.
5/11 Wednesday Yellowstone Day! Visit Old Faithful, Watch Bison, Go on scenic drive etc.
5/12 Thursday Leave Yellowstone at 7 AM. Arrive in Glacier National Park at 3 PM. Set up camp.
5/13 FridayGlacier Day!
5/14 Saturday Leave Glacier National Park at 7AM Arrive in Seattle at 7PM
BEGIN SECOND LEG
5/ 15 Sunday Seattle Day! Look for Coffee, rain, and grungy folk. (We can leave for Olympic during this night if we want.)
5/16 Monday Leave for Olympic at 7AM. Arrive during morning. Explore!
5/17 Tuesday Leave Olympic at 7AM. Swing by Portland. Arrive at Redwood NP at 5PM (We could stay in Portland for the night if we choose).
5/18 Wednesday Redwood Day!
5/19 Thursday Leave Redwood at 7AM. Arrive in San Francisco at 2PM
5/20 Friday San Franscisco Day.
BEGIN THIRD LEG
5/21 Saturday Pick up Dan. Explore San Francisco. Depart for LA in the evening.
5/22 Sunday Visit LA during AM. Arrive in Vegas in the evening. Dan plays a hand of Black Jack. Derek finds Hooker. Evan and Kayla sneak into casinos, possibly get kicked out and find Derek with hooker behind building. (Potentially begin drive to Zion it is only three hours away)
5/23 Monday (Potentially leave for Zion in at 7AM. Arrive at 11 AM). Do Angels Landing Hike. Spend night at Zion.
5/24 Tuesday Leave for Grand Canyon at 7AM. Arrive at Noon.
5/25 Wednesday Grand Canyon Day.
5/26 Thursday Grand Canyon Day. Leave for Albuquerque in the evening.
5/27 Friday Albuquerque. Kayla flies back.
5/28 Saturday Dan Flies back possible. Evan and Derek haul ass to Ohio.
5/29 Sunday Dan flies back (possible). Head back to ohio.

A few things changed as we got caught up in San Fran after an unfortunate car break-in. But other than that, it was an amazing experience!
My favorite city was Portland. I loved the atmosphere, the people, the culture, everything.
My favorite park was Zion National Park. If you decide to go there, you HAVE to do the Angel's Landing climb. The most amazing thing I've ever done in my life. The most perfect and awe-inspiring view:


I didn't go to Chicago on this specific trip, but I've been a few times and I absolutely LOVE that city as well. It's just the coolest little city. Great museums, parks, views, people, etc.

I hope this is helpful.
Oh wow, that is a breathtaking view. Love the hooker story, btw! I admit the idea of all the guaranteed debauchery does kind of draw me to Vegas. And I really do want to see the Grand Canyon. Oh god decisions decisions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Hi Jaded, haven't seen you around in a while.


I think where you should go depends on what kind of person you are and what you're looking for. The US is just so varied from place to place, it's all worth seeing once just to make up your own mind. Personally, I really like LA and Vegas over and above anywhere else for the culture, the nightlife, the restaurants etc and don't care for anywhere in Texas (sorry Texas peeps!) I find New York to be vibrant, but a bit too dirty and chocka for my taste. Out of the three cities you mentioned though, I'd definitely recommend Portland for the cultural stuff.

Hope you have a good one!
Oh another Aussie's perspective always helps. Sounds like you're a pretty seasoned traveller when it comes to the US... have you been a few times? With others or by yourself?
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top