VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel recently responded angrily to a question during a news interview about where his own children go to school, and he stormed out of the interview.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...S7RI_blog.html

I think it is a legitimate question, not only because Emanuel sends his children to private schools but because the policies he advocates for the public schools (emphasis on standardized testing and tying teacher salaries to performance scores on such tests) are exactly the opposite of the policies and practices in the private schools where his children go.

This seems to me to be as legitimate a question as asking the President of the Ford Motor Company why he himself does not drive a Ford (hypothetical situation).

The governor of New Jersey also answered this question angrily ("none of your business"), but President Obama gave a thoughtful and calm reply.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Is this really "none of our business" as citizens and taxpayers?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,861 Posts
'Lo Joe


I guess that if public officials want to keep their private lives private they have a right to do so.

The public have the right not to elect people who want private lives into public office though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
You are right, Clueless. We don't have to elect him. But I bet all the alternative candidates are probably rich, too, and will also send their kids to private schools.

On the flip side, I have to say that there is a legitimate reason for them to do this: safety. Being high profile parents, their kids are probably much safer in a private school.

As for Emanuel's response, that was unprofessional. He's a public spokesperson who should know that he will get asked questions like that. Obama is a good example of someone who doesn't break down like that. He always gives a cool, thought out answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,134 Posts
Absolutely it's a legitimate question, as it affects their judgement on school issues. I was disappointed when the Obamas (and the Clintons as well) decided to send their girls to Sidwell.

Private schools play by a whole other set of rules. It's twice as bad here. Quality education for all, is that so hard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
Every day I lean more and more towards home schooling, or home schooling co-ops
The quality of education, the government standard lunch, the high child to adult ratio (people learn more through social interaction than direct instruction), there just isn't much about the public education system as a whole that I respect, aside from an exceptional teacher here and there. I respect them for putting up with that crap and doing their best in spite of it.

As for his response... I understand the need for privacy, but an angry response to a reasonable question typically implies that you have something to hide. Perhaps he knew that any truthful response would have eventually lead to an explanation of "because I'm rich and you're not," and that such an explanation would have inferred that public schools are inferior, most of which are. I wouldn't even have criticized such a response. Public schools will always have to operate off less money than those with an alternative source of funding (profit), and I fully expect someone with money to spare to use it to better his or her life.

I grew up almost next door to a private school that cost about $20,000 per year. Obviously, I did not go to school here
But I had a few friends that did, and it was a different world. They weren't chained down by the politics of government funding. They needed only to answer to the consumers who were paying them good money to provide their children with a quality education.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
I remember when I was young my mother being irritated that the superintendent of our school district sent his children to private catholic school.

Now that I am a teacher and have seen what actually goes on in public schools, I would homeschool my children if I had school-aged children at home. The school I work at now is the best one I have ever worked at discipline-wise, but I am not sure I would want my children subjected to the the daily issues that my students face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I remember when I was young my mother being irritated that the superintendent of our school district sent his children to private catholic school.

Now that I am a teacher and have seen what actually goes on in public schools, I would homeschool my children if I had school-aged children at home. The school I work at now is the best one I have ever worked at discipline-wise, but I am not sure I would want my children subjected to the the daily issues that my students face.
There's no way I would ever send my kids to public school if I were a parent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

On the flip side, I have to say that there is a legitimate reason for them to do this: safety. Being high profile parents, their kids are probably much safer in a private school.
Would you mind elaborating on the safety issue? Do you mean safety in relation to people outside the school system going to the school to do them harm (like kidnappers)? Or do you mean safety in terms of violence from other students? Or something else. I'm not clear on what the nature of the concerns are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

I remember when I was young my mother being irritated that the superintendent of our school district sent his children to private catholic school.

Now that I am a teacher and have seen what actually goes on in public schools, I would homeschool my children if I had school-aged children at home. The school I work at now is the best one I have ever worked at discipline-wise, but I am not sure I would want my children subjected to the the daily issues that my students face.
I hope you would also find plenty of social places for your kid to go outside of school then, because it's extremely unhealthy to be home schooled without being in a social setting, i speak from experience as my high school years I was in independent studies, i still saw people on a regular basis, but not like regular school is, and it really screwed me up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I hope you would also find plenty of social places for your kid to go outside of school then, because it's extremely unhealthy to be home schooled without being in a social setting, i speak from experience as my high school years I was in independent studies, i still saw people on a regular basis, but not like regular school is, and it really screwed me up.
In contrast, I would rather have no socialization than the socialization I got in public high school. It isn't some holy grail of personal development: cliques, peer pressure, bullying, popularity contests. I learned from high school to sit down and shut up and stand in the corner. It wasn't until college that I learned how to socialize in a group, and I'm still quite introverted.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Would you mind elaborating on the safety issue? Do you mean safety in relation to people outside the school system going to the school to do them harm (like kidnappers)? Or do you mean safety in terms of violence from other students? Or something else. I'm not clear on what the nature of the concerns are.
Both of what you said. More so about the safety from other students.

I assume private schools are located in wealthy and "safer" neighborhoods. Also, children of wealthy parents are usually better behaved. I am not wealthy nor did I grow up wealthy (grew up a bit on the poor side). However, for a couple of years, I was sent to an elementary and junior high school on the "rich" side of town (but still public schools). I have also attended some of the "poverty" schools, too. Believe me, I felt much safer on the "rich" side of town. Kids were nicer over there, too. I was bullied all to hell in the "poor" schools. It wasn't a racial thing, either. I am white and I never had any problems with other races. I was bullied by other white kids.

Never been to a private school, but I can only image it would be safer and more pleasant than public schools. I imagine that violence at private schools is replaced with social drama. That may be emotionally painful, but not near as painful as getting beat up all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainhugger View Post

In contrast, I would rather have no socialization than the socialization I got in public high school. It isn't some holy grail of personal development: cliques, peer pressure, bullying, popularity contests. I learned from high school to sit down and shut up and stand in the corner. It wasn't until college that I learned how to socialize in a group, and I'm still quite introverted.
You say that now, and high school wasn't great for me the first year, but after experiencing both i would much rather go through the stuff from a regular public school than home school or an alternative learning place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
I went to private schools, and I'm forever grateful to my parents for making the sacrifices necessary to put me through them (although we did have to get a considerable amount of financial aid). I would never put my kids in a public school. I've taken a few classes at the local community college, and most of the kids that come out of the public high schools don't know anything. It's really sad, and it's not their fault. I don't blame people for sending their kids to private schools or homeschooling.

As for the safety thing, I can attest to that to. In elementary and high school, the worst behaved kids were the ones who transferred from public schools. We never had physical fights and the bullying wasn't that bad. People more or less kept within their social groups and left others alone.

I'm not trying to say that everyone who went to public school is a stupid rotten egg. That is obviously not the case. But the quality of education doesn't begin to compare to private schools. And that is detestable. Education should be among our top priorities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
They must be two very different worlds, i've never known of a private school anywhere around here and i've never known a person that went to private school. None of my family members are doctors or lawyers so maybe they would have gone further with private school, maybe i'd be able to do something with my life but guess i'm destined to just be a loser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

They must be two very different worlds, i've never known of a private school anywhere around here and i've never known a person that went to private school. None of my family members are doctors or lawyers so maybe they would have gone further with private school, maybe i'd be able to do something with my life but guess i'm destined to just be a loser.
Not necessarily. Private schooling is just a better education. People who go to public high schools still go to college and go on to become doctors, lawyers, what have you. It just depends on your drive, dedication, interests, and financial capabilities. People who don't go to college aren't losers. If you're not seeking a career that requires a degree or don't enjoy learning for the sake of learning, it doesn't make sense to spend that much money on higher education.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

They must be two very different worlds, i've never known of a private school anywhere around here and i've never known a person that went to private school. None of my family members are doctors or lawyers so maybe they would have gone further with private school, maybe i'd be able to do something with my life but guess i'm destined to just be a loser.
Loser? Come on. Real knowledge and educational status are not the same thing. I have met people with college degrees that I wish I had and I know I'm smarter than them (I am working on a lowly associates degree right now). You will only become a loser when you give up on your own life and classify yourself as such. You have the power to take your life in any direction you want. Some paths may be harder than others, but if you want to accomplish something bad enough, you can do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

I hope you would also find plenty of social places for your kid to go outside of school then, because it's extremely unhealthy to be home schooled without being in a social setting, i speak from experience as my high school years I was in independent studies, i still saw people on a regular basis, but not like regular school is, and it really screwed me up.
Initially, I had a snarky response ready to go, but, thankfully, I thought better before I said something I would later regret.

It is a myth that homeschooled children are isolated and lack proper socialization, although, there are occasional instances in which that does happen. I have seen it myself, but I assure you, it is the exception and not the norm. In fact, I have seen a much higher proportion of students victimized by our public school system.

Studies show that homeschooled students routinely outscore students on standardized tests.

Quote:
Children taught in the home score above average on the state tests, far exceeding public school children.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/6...ds_are_smarter

The article goes on with the positives of homeschooling, but if you do a little research, you will find those who offer statements to the contrary. My experience, however, is that the detractors are people who have a stake in public education and the status quo remaining unchanged.

It would be wise to do a little more research on the subject of homeschooling before making such a strong, negative comment about how unhealthy it is as if it is the norm and not the exception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Children taught in the home score above average on the state tests, far exceeding public school children.
According to the Home School Legal Defense Association. However, they do get some testimony from KickButtMama! So there's that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Every person I know who was homeschooled loved it. I would have loved it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by julz View Post

Initially, I had a snarky response ready to go, but, thankfully, I thought better before I said something I would later regret.

It is a myth that homeschooled children are isolated and lack proper socialization, although, there are occasional instances in which that does happen. I have seen it myself, but I assure you, it is the exception and not the norm. In fact, I have seen a much higher proportion of students victimized by our public school system.

Studies show that homeschooled students routinely outscore students on standardized tests.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/6...ds_are_smarter

The article goes on with the positives of homeschooling, but if you do a little research, you will find those who offer statements to the contrary. My experience, however, is that the detractors are people who have a stake in public education and the status quo remaining unchanged.

It would be wise to do a little more research on the subject of homeschooling before making such a strong, negative comment about how unhealthy it is as if it is the norm and not the exception.
Did you even remotely read what i said at all, i said from experience, as in my experience, as in i went to an alternative school, almost the same as home school, my friend down the street was home schooled until high school and was isolated until then and so happy when she finally got out. How exactly do you think kids being at home all the time will get normal socialization unless the parent sets up something where they can do that. Ok but let me disregard the fact that i and a friend actually experienced it, and just trust your internet research right? And another reason i can tell you didn't read anything i said is that your article is about how smart home schooled kids are, and i didn't mention anything about their intelligence being affected. So please next time actually read a comment before responding with something so off topic, and still quite snarky in the end.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top