VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone get their seeds? Has anyone here heard of Southern Exposure Seed Exchange?

I was wondering if anyone has purchased from them? I am going to order a 2012 catalog to look through, they certainly have an extensive online catalog, and it looks like a great company. Any feedback from anyone that has used their seeds?

Are there any other companies that you can recommend?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I usually buy mine from Burpee, and have had really good results with all but the corn (that's my fault though, not the company's, because I made the mistake of creating a second garden on the other side of my yard thinking it would keep the critters away from my garden. needless to say, it didn't work). however, I find tree rats and trash bandits adorable, so I'm more than okay with sharing.

a lot of the time I find seed packets at gardening centers from Burpee that they don't offer on the website, which is interesting, and I make it a point to stock up when I come across them. I've got a smallish shoebox full of seed packets right now, but I'll definitely be checking out your site to see if they have anything interesting

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got the "Park Seed" catalog in the mail yesterday! I've ordered from them before. Also, their website has lots to offer that isn't in their catalog. It's worth a look.

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutaweirdo View Post

Where does everyone get their seeds?
Completely unhelpfully ...

Everytime I am told that fish is the vegetarian option I always ask "where do you get the seeds from which your vegetarian fish are grown?"

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

I usually buy mine from Burpee, and have had really good results with all but the corn (that's my fault though, not the company's, because I made the mistake of creating a second garden on the other side of my yard thinking it would keep the critters away from my garden. needless to say, it didn't work). however, I find tree rats and trash bandits adorable, so I'm more than okay with sharing.

a lot of the time I find seed packets at gardening centers from Burpee that they don't offer on the website, which is interesting, and I make it a point to stock up when I come across them. I've got a smallish shoebox full of seed packets right now, but I'll definitely be checking out your site to see if they have anything interesting
A second vote for Burpee here. My mom always got her seeds from there, and she has the greenest thumb around. I remember looking through their catalogs 40 years ago. ;-)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Back when I lived where I could have a fairly good sized garden I always got my seeds from Seeds of Change, great company, lots and lots of heirloom type seeds, you can download or order a catalog here:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_...g_request.aspx

Here's their mission statement:
  • Supporting Sustainable Organic Agriculture Since 1989

In 1989, Seeds of Change began with a simple mission: to preserve biodiversity and promote sustainable, organic agriculture. By cultivating and disseminating an extensive range of organically grown vegetable, flower, herb and cover crop seeds, we have honored that mission for 20 years.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I formerly bought seeds from local garden centers and even general supermarkets. Burpee's was one brand, certainly, but there are other companies whose seeds I've bought.

Since I joined a community garden organization, my selection has actually been better. They get seeds which have not been sold that season from a variety of other commercial vendors. I'm not sure who their sources are, but they seem to get a lot of heirloom, non-hybrid flower and vegetable seed varieties, as well as more commonly-known varieties such as "Table Queen" acorn squash.

I've sometimes saved seed from the plants I've grown and planted them. I once planted some hybrid popcorn. I few ears got a bit moldy before I picked them and I didn't think they were safe to eat, so I planted the kernels the next year. Seed from hybrid varieties is supposed to be unreliable, but these did OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

Completely unhelpfully ...

Everytime I am told that fish is the vegetarian option I always ask "where do you get the seeds from which your vegetarian fish are grown?"
From the pollinated fish flowers, silly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you want company's that are not tied to the evil Monsanto, I would go for Pinetree Seeds or Bakers Creek Heirloom. Baker's Creek has a beautiful seed catalog.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
J. L. Hudson is my favorite for medicines and food crop seeds, not always the most consistent inventory from one year to the next but lots of cool and obscure stuff and the seed portions tend to be quite generous for the price.

Horizon Herbs is my next favorite for medicinal seeds, more normal prices and quantities compared to Hudson but one of their employees goes to exotic places like rural China and the islands off Tanzania to find new medicines to bring to the US and they have trial gardens where they develop procedures to grow obscure herbs. Thanks to them I have a few herbs growing here that 15 years ago experts said were 'impossible' to grow in captivity.

Shaman Australis is a reputable australian vendor of shamanic herbs and seeds (not everything they sell can be shipped overseas).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I go to a local seed saving co-op. I am hoping to start some seed saving of my own.
If you are going to buy seeds from a company, make sure they are both non-GMO and organic. It's SUPER important!!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Almost everything I've grown has been from Baker Creek. They are all heirloom, cheaper than their competitors, and involved in the fight to save our food. Great folks.

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post

Almost everything I've grown has been from Baker Creek. They are all heirloom, cheaper than their competitors, and involved in the fight to save our food. Great folks.
Wow, this place looks great! I'm going to start a small garden next year and will buy from here. Look at this tomato! Reminds me of picking huge warm tomatoes as a kid and eating them in the hot sun.
ETA: I don't know why the double image, tapatalk thing.

LL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Seeds for flowers are usually from the dollar store, food seeds i get from home depot or lowes depending on which is closer when i think to get them. I've also used seeds from the fruit I've bought

1 - 14 of 14 Posts