VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious where you get all your great recipes from. your food always looks so good and low-fat, as well!

thanks!

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Well, I get lots of mine from here, of course!

Or, I just google a particular ingredient with the word vegan in front if it, for example "vegan banana cake" or "vegan thanksgiving recipes". I usually get really good results from that. I do not have a specific website that I always go to.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Post Punk Kitchen is amazing and there's nothing you can't find a recipe for on vegweb.com

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I have a tonn of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks (and a few omni ones I adapt from), i also use BBC recipes online, vegetarian society online recipes, and recipes off of vegan food blogs
I have have a book of recipes I've created/adapted myself, or my mothers ones which I've written down

If you google recipes you need to learn how to tell what's going to work and what wont. I always look at the herbs/spices/flavourings/sauces and if there's not much there I avoid it because it'll probally be bland, and I avoid it all together for baking because 9/10 they don't work for me. Perhaps I have bad luck though!

·
Registered
324 Posts
One of the best things I did to help with my transition from omnivore to vegan was to sign up for a CSA share. I get a box full of gorgeous fresh veggies every week straight from the farm. Most of my weekly menus start with me looking into the box, making a mental list of what I've got for the week, and then figuring out what to do with it. A lot of those veggies end up in salads or stir fries but I don't really follow a recipe for those. I just figure out which veggies seem like they go together, chop them up, throw the ones that take longer to cook in the pan first and add the ones that cook more quickly at the end. I normally sautée my veggies in water just to keep the fat down. I keep two or three different bottled sauces in my fridge that I can mix into a stir fry. Right now I have a curry sauce, miso ginger sauce, a peanut sauce, etc. I also have a cupboard with all kinds of nuts and seeds so I'll often throw some nuts or seeds or raisins on top of my stir fry or salad if they seem like they would go together.

When I'm trying to decide what to cook, I tend to look for inspiration more than for actual recipes. I google a lot. I look at menus for vegan restaurants (this one was very inspirational), vegan blogs, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as getting an eggplant in my CSA share and googling "vegan eggplant recipes." Then I look at a couple of recipes and adapt them to whatever I happen to have on hand.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

One of the best things I did to help with my transition from omnivore to vegan was to sign up for a CSA share. I get a box full of gorgeous fresh veggies every week straight from the farm. Most of my weekly menus start with me looking into the box, making a mental list of what I've got for the week, and then figuring out what to do with it. A lot of those veggies end up in salads or stir fries but I don't really follow a recipe for those. I just figure out which veggies seem like they go together, chop them up, throw the ones that take longer to cook in the pan first and add the ones that cook more quickly at the end. I normally sautée my veggies in water just to keep the fat down. I keep two or three different bottled sauces in my fridge that I can mix into a stir fry. Right now I have a curry sauce, miso ginger sauce, a peanut sauce, etc. I also have a cupboard with all kinds of nuts and seeds so I'll often throw some nuts or seeds or raisins on top of my stir fry or salad if they seem like they would go together.

When I'm trying to decide what to cook, I tend to look for inspiration more than for actual recipes. I google a lot. I look at menus for vegan restaurants (this one was very inspirational), vegan blogs, etc. Sometimes it's as simple as getting an eggplant in my CSA share and googling "vegan eggplant recipes." Then I look at a couple of recipes and adapt them to whatever I happen to have on hand.
Thanks for the thorough response! I, too, am getting into a lot of stir-frying and I just started sauteeing in water! That was a huge revelation for me! One concern I have though is so much sodium in stir fry sauces! (any low-sodium suggestions?)

I have lots of vegan cookbooks that I have taken out of the library. Many of them don't give calories/fat content and they seem like they would be high if they did! I thought in one of your posts you mentioned that you were either losing weight or wanted to lose weight (or perhaps both!) and I drool over all your pictures of your meals in other threads so i was always curious to know where you get your recipes from.

Its very funny that you mention a CSA. I called my local one 8 months ago and was told it was full. Would you believe that this morning (yes, this morning!) they called to say they started a second one and that there is room for me if i want!

Anyway, thanks again. And please, do me a favor and start a blog about your journey to vegan!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyVegan View Post

One concern I have though is so much sodium in stir fry sauces! (any low-sodium suggestions?)
Appalachian Naturals Ginger Miso Sauce is pretty fabulous and pretty low in sodium. Honestly though, I don't worry too much about the sodium in my stir fry sauces. I eat so little processed food that even if my sauce is a little high in sodium, I still stay way under the recommended daily allowance for sodium.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mostly I just google search things and see what I fancy like one day I might search for vegetarian Jamaican recipes or based on ingrediants I have, liek yesterday I got two pineapples for £1 at the market so I have been looking up things to do with them

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenish View Post

Life Alive! That restaurant is right near me, I frequent it often.
Their dishes are spectacular!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormouse View Post

Thread title changed to be more specific.
Sorry, maybe I should have just sent a PM. I was interested in a response from user "Greenish" - the pictures of her food are AMAZING!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts