VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
where are you located?

they sell it at a local health food store/adventist book store i go to. ( im not adventist but its a great health food store)

anyway this store has all the worthington and loma linda products.......if there are any seventh day adventist stores near you maybe they carry it.

i saw it the last time i was at the store a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well,I live in Arizona.

BUT YEAH! The seond website had it! By the way, have any of you tried it? If so, how was it?

I've been eager to try it for a while now! I can't wait to have a tuno melt and tomatoe soup^_^

<3

SXC

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've had it. I got it at Wild Oats Market, but this was a few years ago and I don't know if they still sell it. I thought it tasted terrible.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made the chickpea tuna sub a long time ago..But I forget what I put in it..can you remind me? And can you do it using cooked dried beans or do they not have enough flavor?

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonoluvr View Post

I have never tried it, you will have to post on the result

i use chickpeas to make a "tuna" salad
Me too and I love it. I still remember how excited I was the first time I made it.
This is the recipe I use...

http://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ock+tuna+salad

I've only had it on sandwiches so I wouldn't necessarily recommend you use it any kind of recipe.

·
Registered
12,282 Posts
From what I've heard, you need to RINSE tuno a few times in order for it not to taste like butt.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I make it just like the recipe Micheal posted except I dont add the yeast flakes,

i also sometimes just combine the beans with veganaise, scallions, salt and pepper,

i have only used canned beans

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
I've seen it at Sidecar [for Pigs Peace] and imagine that if it's still available, Food Fight would sell it mail-order.

I accidentally tasted a sandwich made with it at a Pigs Peace work party. I found it to be vile, but then even as an omni I couldn't stand tuna. The whole salmon obsession thing amuses me, since salmon tastes just like tuna.

·
Registered
255 Posts
frozen tuno is TONS better. it's a completely different product and doesn't smell like cat food. it comes in a tube and flakes up like tuna.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I tried Tuno, once. And only once. It was really gross.

I prefer the chickpea version!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBoysWin View Post

Well,I live in Arizona.

BUT YEAH! The seond website had it! By the way, have any of you tried it? If so, how was it?

I've been eager to try it for a while now! I can't wait to have a tuno melt and tomatoe soup^_^

<3

SXC
Both those websites ship products to pretty much anywhere in the US.

The frozen variety it better IMO. As someone above said, it flakes "just like tuna" and there's no need to drain... ick - the canned looks and smells like catfood (but then, I always thought canned tuna smelled like catfood too...).

Anthony. Blasphemy indeed. Even as a more-or-less "life-long vegetarian" I've eaten fish on several occasions (like in college when I thought - mistakenly - that vegetarians actually ate fish).

But even in my very unexperienced opinion, I have to say - salmon was nothing like tuna - not even close.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The frozen variety it better IMO. As someone above said, it flakes "just like tuna" and there's no need to drain... ick - the canned looks and smells like catfood (but then, I always thought canned tuna smelled like catfood too...).
Hmmm... we have a Seventh Day Adventist health food store here that sells the frozen Tuno. I may have to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Hmmm... we have a Seventh Day Adventist health food store here that sells the frozen Tuno. I may have to give it a try.
I'm going to my local SDA health food store today to see if I can find tuno

·
Registered
69 Posts
I loved tuna back in my omni days, and I still really miss tuna casserole. I'm really not a fan of tuno in a can, though. I've never been able to find the frozen stuff, it seems that one of those websites carries it. I'll have to try it!

·
Registered
897 Posts
i purchased my last frozen 'loaf' locally at mother's market. it was very tasty as a tuno-salad on bread. i can't speak for the canned, have not tried it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts