VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to go as vegan as possible (which will be hard, as I play both baseball and hockey with leather products), and I want to start with food. Being a vegetarian, I can always be accommodating when others want to go out to eat. I can usually find something anywhere.

This isn't a problem at home. I can go to the grocery store and get as much vegan stuff as I want. At a regular restaurant I can just get a salad. Fast food poses a problem, though. And yes, I know, I should try not to eat fast food, and I honestly eat very little of it. Probably not even once a week now that I've gone vegetarian. But sometimes others will want to go out to a fast food restaurant, and I won't have an option except not to eat anything at all.

Are there any proven options for these occasions? What do you do?

Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
it really totally depends where you are.

I'm in the UK. If people go to McDonalds, I will skip it completely, because it's gross, but I COULD get the fries if I wanted (they are not veg*n in the USA). Likewise for KFC. I will try to steer people towards going to Subway (my favourite!) or to Burger King (spicy beanburger meal, no cheese with diet coke, is what I always get. The onion rings are vegan too apparently). You should check out the websites of any places you might end up stuck at and familiarise yourself with what is vegan (or search for info others might have put online if they don't offer ingredients lists) as it varies entirely country to country. Subway is usually a good bet though.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Isowish thats the exact answer i wouldve given. cept i swap the cheese for lettuce 'cause burgers without salad is wierd. most resteraunts you can find out about by googling "___ vegan" - theres usually at least one thing in most places

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I only ever hit Taco Bell for fast food and I get the bean burrito without cheese.

I like Stir Crazy [great vegan options, they'll even substitute your meat for tofu], I like Olive Garden, Japanese and Asian restaurants tend to have some of the best options out there.

I don't really like buffets much, but you can get fruit dishes and some rice and noodle dishes that are vegan a lot of the time, especially at Asian-based ones.

As a vegan I don't eat out much. Too many food allergies. However you can always be a little picky about your food. I go to a local diner a lot with my cousin and they don't have much in the way of vegan food, but the cook is always very compliant with me. The diner is small and we go late so it's not busy. I'll ask for mashed potatoes and inquire that they cut out the milk and butter and I get it without gravy. They always do it for me.

If all else fails you can get snacks like Tofurky Jurky to keep on you in case you go somewhere that you can't eat anything.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I try to eat before going out with people if we'll be at a non-veg friendly restaurant, and I also try to keep some snack food/protein bars in my bag.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

I only ever hit Taco Bell for fast food and I get the bean burrito without cheese.
I haven't checked their ingredients, but don't their beans have beef fat in them? Generally refried beans do.

Thanks for the options, guys. I'd love to hear more if you have them. I think the only thing vegan at McDonald's is the apple slices, haha. I don't think we have the beanburger meal here in the states. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post

I haven't checked their ingredients, but don't their beans have beef fat in them? Generally refried beans do.
Nope- taco bell does not use lard in their refried beans.

Chipotle is pretty much the only fast food place I go to, and even then I don't go there often. But they do have good vegan options.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
It really does depend on where you are.

I am in Calgary and I don't have a problem finding vegan fast food.

Taco time has a few different bean burritos/tacos and salads as well as mexi fries that are vegan.

There are tons of Lebanese places where you can grab a falafel or hummus/babaganoush with pita and/or tabouli salad.

Today I had a Vietnamese sub that was just tofu and veggies.

There are lots of smoothie places where you can get non diary smoothies that are filling enough to be a meal.

At different mall food courts I will choose either Greek Hummus and Pita, Couscous salad, lentil salad, veggie sushi/miso soup, veggie/tofu stirfries and curries, green salads or veggie subs (I prefer Quizno's over subway as they have much fresher veggies, including mushrooms and guacamole.

I also try to keep a bar (granola, fruit, veggie, luna, lara or whatever) in my purse or in my car, so if I can't find anything, I won't have to go hungry.

Worst comes to worst, a Grande Soy latte from Starbucks will fill me up for an hour or two until I can get to real food.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Redveg in central London!!!! Anyone else been??????? Maybe we sat right near each other :O

·
Registered
78 Posts
I usually skip the fast food joints, except for Subway, and go with my family and friends to a nice dinner once in a while. I've noticed that ethnic restaurants have a better selection for vegans, like Italian, Mediterranean,Indian, Chinese, etc. than the typical fast food restaurant. Maybe you could opt for a nice restaurant verses eating fast food when you go out.

·
Banned
7,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong View Post

Redveg in central London!!!! Anyone else been??????? Maybe we sat right near each other :O
:thumbup: I used to eat there several times a week! But now when in Soho I usually go to Maoz falafel...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong View Post

I found it once!!!

Cause of one of those sign guys when i was in oxford circus. never seen it again =(

Next time im in central london im soo going back

theres a really good place in camden, a random vegan burger shop. tehy even have egg free garlic mayo mmmm.

I miss london sometimes

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

:thumbup: I used to eat there several times a week! But now when in Soho I usually go to Maoz falafel...
Maoz is great. Their Florida location is right down the street from me.

--Fromper

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

I found it once!!!

Cause of one of those sign guys when i was in oxford circus. never seen it again =(

Next time im in central london im soo going back

theres a really good place in camden, a random vegan burger shop. tehy even have egg free garlic mayo mmmm.

I miss london sometimes
Hey Ferret! where abouts in Camden is zee shop you speak of??

And should you find your way back to Redveg - and you see someone sitting opposite you who looks like my avatar except with a bit more colour in his cheeks :p then speak-up and let it be known that you are indeed PIRATE FERRET from veggieboards!! oooh! I know!! you could just shove a chip in your nostril and wait til I notice it - THEN I`ll know it`s you

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Its just past the lock... kinda near the other foody bits but not. I think? havent been in a while! Theres a sign saying veggieburgers. its literally a hole in the wall

1 - 17 of 17 Posts