VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wrote a piece I'm particularly proud of called "Imagine the Billions".

It begins:
"When the money stops, animal exploiters will quit. They lose the incentive to hurt animals and they will stop hurting animals. Cases in point: veggie meats and greyhound racing."

And it ends:
"As strange as it may sound, meat producers may not be our enemy either. Imagine the billions of animals saved and dollars made if we can just cooperate to make excellent veggie meats."

I invite you to read the entire thing. It's online at: http://www.vegansoapbox.com/when-the-money-stops/

I would love to hear your thoughts.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Excellent! Very good job. It's informative and helpful. I sincerely hope this is our future.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Right. I think it was Erik Marcus who recently said that meat producers don't have any particular desire to slaughter animals. They're businessmen, out to make a profit. If they produced meat analogues, and people bought those instead of the meat, they wouldn't use that money to kill more animals. It would be a win-win situation for everyone involved.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Great piece! I didn't know that about greyhound racing, very interesting and hopeful

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Great read.
Very interesting to think about the meat producers entering the faux meat market. And greyhound racing is the one thing I actually protested in person before.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well done, ElaineV, I have to say you do make an inescapable point for businesses that aren't actively into animal cruelty.

I've often thought activism today against such individuals was best served by hurting their financial bottom line --either by large scale financial boycotting or by more profitable animal-friendly business ventures. You however not only said it loud and clear; You said it with more eloquence too.

Kudos

·
Banned
2,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

This is true of all business, no?
Indeed.

A business with demand to fulfill is unnassailable.

Reduce demand and no business is safe.

Which brings me onto one of the many bees in my bonnet.

People who hate the supply end of the meat industry but 'love' the demand chain really get on my tits!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great read, interesting points too which I wasn't aware of. I appreciate livelihoods are attached to greyhound racing etc, but I really hope the business declines into dust over here in the UK very soon! People really shouldn't be making their money out of exploiting animals.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. Do you mind if I repost the link to it elsewhere, such as on G+ or Facebook?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Nice article. The amount of subsidies given to the animal farming industry doesn't help things, unfortunately. Some plant foods are subsidized too, but not to the extent animals products and animal feed are. Personally I would rather things change through a shift in moral values, but if it comes about through unprofitability then that's better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git View Post

A business with demand to fulfill is unnassailable.
Not necessarily true, but I agree with your overall point that the demand side is important (I would think all ethical veg-ns believe that).

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Very good article, shared, thanks for it ^^

·
Banned
738 Posts
Its good stuff.

I'm a businessman. I am in business to make money. So are they.

Thats why we need sensible policies in the AR movment not anti-capitalist loons demanding anarcho syndicalist communes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts