VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
URG! I love trying new recipes but don't really get time to do it very often. Why, oh why, do all of the recipes I want to try call for an ingredient that I never use and will likely never use again (or only for that particular dish)?! Hmpf.

On a very related note... Anyone know how to make a good "madras curry paste" with basic spices/ingredients? :p

·
Registered
498 Posts
Isn't that what makes dishes unique? :p

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I understand the feeling! This is why my cabinet is so overflowing with spices, vinegars, etc. I don't really mind--now I've built up my stock so I can make pretty much any recipe as long as I have the right veggies. Sometimes it's helpful to look at websites like allrecipes.com where you can search for recipes that use a particular ingredient, if you need ideas about how to use up a particular ingredient.

I've seen madras curry powder, but not paste. I would look at an Indian grocery if possible, usually things are pretty cheap there. I'm guessing the curry paste could be used in a lot of Indian dishes, or without a recipe to add an Indian flavor to something simple like chickpeas and rice.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Cereal, we've learned to mix and match. Often you can get away with substituting something similar that's easy to obtain. examples?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
runnerveggie - thanks for the tip about allrecipes. i don't get to cook often, but that might help encourage me to find other recipes to use up said ingredient. :p

uno - "examples?" yes, please... especially for "curry paste"!
most times i'm fine with just omitting something or substituting once i'm familiar with a recipe or if it sounds like the dish would probably be alright without it. this time, though, i'm looking for a substitute for "madras curry paste" to go in THIS recipe. it really sounds like the paste "makes" the taste. (ah, yes, i've turned into a poet.) i did a quick search for a recipe online, but they all call for spices i don't have and can't get at the moment. boohoo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I feel your pain! I live in a very small town and it's impossible to find anything out of the ordinary around here. The nearest big supermarket is about an hour away and even they don't always have what I'm looking for. I hate to buy online all the time but I'm pretty much forced too.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
If you were making an actual madras curry I would suggest sticking to the authentic ingredients, but seeing this is just a curried chickpea burger, don't worry about getting the curry ingredients exactly right, just chuck in whatever curry powder you happen to have around.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller View Post

URG! I love trying new recipes but don't really get time to do it very often. Why, oh why, do all of the recipes I want to try call for an ingredient that I never use and will likely never use again (or only for that particular dish)?! Hmpf.

On a very related note... Anyone know how to make a good "madras curry paste" with basic spices/ingredients? :p
It sounds like expanding your spice supply would be a good thing! Branch out and use them more often.

You make a good madras curry paste by using the correct ingredients; your idea of 'basic' may be very different from mine anyway.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
What I would do re: the paste, is buy the spices individually online, so that way they can be used for other things whereas a paste is very specific, and then make up a big batch and freeze what I don't use in portion sizes (I use ice-cube trays, or freezer bags, depending on what portion sizes are) so that in future you can make the dish much quicker but just de-frosting the paste you've made yourself. Also, home-made pastes will taste 100x better than most ready-made pastes.

I don't know what consititutes as basic spices, but I did a quick google and they all seem basic except for black mustard powder - whcih you can make yourself if you have the seeds (just roast and grind) or if not either google and see if you can find a substitute, or omit it. It wont taste the same, but with all the other spices, it will taste fine IMO.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller View Post

? :p
Hey, I feel your pain. I can't stand looking all over for that special one time ingredient (that often cost a small fortune)

When I was first starting out as a veggie, I had to look through dozens and dozens of magazines and recipe books to find decent meals that used common ingredients. But nowadays it should be a fairy painless task to find a good selection with a basic internet search .

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
If you have curry powder just replace the paste with that much more curry. Thats my take on it.
I learned to get small quantities from the big jars at my natural food store. Its intimidating because they labeled by price per pound, but the few spoonfuls I got were under a dollar! Try it if you have a NFS by you, or as another said, an ethnic store.
I love to subsitute, but it is nice to know how things are meant to taste.
It's worse to end up with old spices though.
You need to PM Vindas, or check her blog! Look in the recipe section.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

What I would do re: the paste, is buy the spices individually online, so that way they can be used for other things whereas a paste is very specific, and then make up a big batch and freeze what I don't use in portion sizes (I use ice-cube trays, or freezer bags, depending on what portion sizes are) so that in future you can make the dish much quicker but just de-frosting the paste you've made yourself. Also, home-made pastes will taste 100x better than most ready-made pastes.

I don't know what consititutes as basic spices, but I did a quick google and they all seem basic except for black mustard powder - whcih you can make yourself if you have the seeds (just roast and grind) or if not either google and see if you can find a substitute, or omit it. It wont taste the same, but with all the other spices, it will taste fine IMO.
oooooh... duh. i never thought of FREEZING the paste. that would work! i wish it was the same for other things. i've bought several different spices/vinegars/oils/etc. in the past and never ended using them more than once or twice just because i never really have TIME to look through websites to find recipes that use that same ingredient! umeboshi vinegar, anyone? :p

the two quick-search recipes i found for the paste both have about three spices i don't have - black peppercorns, coriander (seeds), and brown mustard seeds. i don't have a natural foods grocery store anywhere near me to get spices in bulk (or however little i may need), but there is a place i go to maybe once a month that's a little over an hour and a half away. usually by the time i get around to going, though, i've either lost or lost interest in the recipe. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.