VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all talk a lot about how silly omnis sound when they say, "But what do you eat? Salad?"

It cracks me up even more when my omnis friends are amazed at how much they like something I have prepared. They assume that since it's vegan, it must be nasty ... and then they can't seem to get over the fact that they actually find it quite delicious. LOL. So far I've had omni raves -- and lots of second helpings -- over my fried rice, spring rolls, chili, pasta salad, and my friend's guacamole ... and several others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. Everyone's addicted to avocados now, and to a person they've said, "Wow, I never knew you could eat them plain."

I just have so much fun with the whole thing, cooking them food that they have to love in spite of themselves ... it's definitely one very effective way of answering the "What do you eat?" question!

Similar experiences?

BTW, no problem if a mod wants to move this to Recipes and Food Discussion. I couldn't decide if it was more about the food or about interacting with the omnis, though I tend toward the latter.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My wife's friend served fake "fried chicken sandwiches" to her unsuspecting omni family to see if they'd notice. They didn't and were quite suprised after being informed.

I can't wait 'til the next potluck picnic / party we attend. My wife is trained as a chef and she makes terrific vegan lasagna w/ soy cheese and fake meat. We'll tell the omnis that it's vegan after they rave!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I totally agree, sunnyk! I LOVE it when I prepare food that omni's think is going to be bland, boring, horrible, funky, ... and they end up loving it! One woman I work with said she loves my cooking so much, she'll eat anything I make (this is someone who was a bit of a challenge at first)! A very satisfying experience!

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
You betcha. My chik pea salad, which is basicly plain old north american tuna salad -- you know, tuna, celery, onion, and mayonnaise -- with chik peas instead of tuna, and a bit of tahini, and oil, and a tiny bit of lemon juice (instead of the mayonaise) -- the chik peas are partially squashed, not well-pureed like for hummus, tho you could do it that way too, this has impressed veg*ans but it seems to have impressed non-veg*ns I think even more so. Of course, even Freya Dinshah has asked for my recipes. Serve it on whole-wheat toast to the non-vegans. I like to add a thin tomato slice on top to juice it up a bit. Lettuce is gilding the lily -- it already has lots of celery -- but you can add a leaf of romaine lettuce on top if you want to.

Though I don't even eat this myself anymore. I'm sick of it. But everyone else loves it.

I make pizza without cheeze of course, using pita bread (without pockets -- I use the soilman pocket circumvention procedure). And another pizza recipe doesn't have tomatos either. To avoid people comparing these with pizza, I don't call it pizza. I just call it a hot open sandwhich. If I had called it pizza people would say they didn't like it; and that it doesn't tast like pizza. If I call it a hot open sandwhich, and remark that it is a little like pizza, they say "i love it, and it is better than pizza."

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
My husband works with a guy who is omni and use to live in California (we're outside Philly,PA ). When this guy found out my husband and I were vegan, he wouldn't let go of it (not rudley). He called my husband Wheat Gluten, and my husband called him Big Mac.

Anyway, he came over one night, and I asked him if he wanted a piece of cake. It was Kreeli's Strawberry Almond Triple Layer Cake (gotta give her due props! ). He couldn't believe how good it was. His experiences before with vegan food in California was that it tasted like oats. He keeps talking about my cake at work with my husband. I keep trying to get him over for dinner so I can further conince him vegan food can be really good.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have many stories like that!

I wrote a sales pitch for my Managment class in college, I convinced everyone about the wonders of soy hotdogs. I passed around samples before my sales pitch and told everyone after they finished munching thier hotdog!that they ate a SOY hot dog!!! I even had someone ask me, umm why are you having us eat hot dogs aren't they bad for you? You shoulda seen the looks on thier faces ! !

I make a good chili that fools most omni's. Last time I made it I brought it to my church potluck and I didn't tell anyone it was meatless. Everyone raved at how good it was. I'm going straight to hell for that one.

Nothing I love more than foolin' the omni's. Suckers!!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Nobody I know would believe that I would make something that isn't vegan but I usually get excellent responses once I get people to try things. People are also surprised at the things I make thinking that it's somethings that you can only get out of a box

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

Vegan or not, I find most people are amazed if someone even knows how to cook, period. That's what amazes me.

"You made this yourself?"

No, the Keebler Elves hide out in my cupboard.
Yes, as a matter of fact the elves are cobbling some falafel as we speak.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I get that not only when I cook something, but when an omnivore eats anything pre packaged, or from a veg restaurant. It's as if they've never eaten a vegetable before. "Hey, this is actually good!" well, yeah, It can't be that bad! It's made from plants, not dog poo!

That quote stands by itself well: "It's made from plants! Not dog poo!"

·
Registered
232 Posts
Once I was eating a sandwich with veggie deli slices at school and I dared my friend to try a piece because she was so disgusted. I wanted to prove to her that it was good. She was too scared, but her boyfriend was brave enough and he said that to him it tasted exactly like bologna, that he wouldn't be able to tell the difference if we'd had some real meat to compare it to. Unfortunately, my friend still wasn't convinced. Oh well.

And it's not really the same thing, but my dog eats Quorn chickenless nuggets, totally convinced that they're real meat.

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Well, I personally can't cook myself out of a paper bag... But my friends and family have been amazed at some of the things I've bought. Sara Lee's apple pie was a big hit for Father's Day. My mom is now addicted to the split pea soup they serve at the Berwyn Cafe. Hehe. My favorite is when my grandpa ate a Spring Roll from the Vegetable Garden and commented "it tastes just like a real spring roll." Heh. Because I'm supposed to eat *fake* food.

I brought a tofu lasagna to a potluck at work once and got mad raves for it. A couple of people even said they preferred the tofu to cheese because it wasn't as "heavy." Rock on!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by punkmommy

Anyway, he came over one night, and I asked him if he wanted a piece of cake. It was Kreeli's Strawberry Almond Triple Layer Cake (gotta give her due props! ). He couldn't believe how good it was. His experiences before with vegan food in California was that it tasted like oats. He keeps talking about my cake at work with my husband. I keep trying to get him over for dinner so I can further conince him vegan food can be really good.
I made the cake in June for a get together, and the (mostly) omni crowd devoured it. All the food was arranged buffet style, so no one knew I made it. Not a single crumb left! Afterwards, some of the people were talking with me, and said the usual "I could never eat vegan food. It would be so dull."

Needless to say, they were shocked when they learned that I had brought the cake! I absolutely love, love, LOVE it when stuff like that happens.

So, I second it. Thanks Kreeli!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I used to bring vegan food to these potlucks we had at my old job. They were always a hit. One time I brought stuffed shells using the recipie from the Uncheese cookbook by Stepaniak, and people were shocked that the "ricotta cheese" was really tofu! It really does taste the same from the recipie.

When I lived with my parents, my dad would eat my left overs and never ask what they were he always liked it. He just got hungry and wasnt going to be picky. He's really into growing leeks now bc I started buying them and using them all the time. (He likes to call them "Leech"
He would use my dark left over leek as an add in for ramen noodles. I didn't know that part tasted any good, but he seems to like it.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend's brother has turned into a body-building addict. He was there when we brought some veggie dogs to a cookout. First he said he liked them, and then read the label and got really excited about the protein/calorie ratio, or something. We let him take the rest of the packet .... maybe he's a convert, as least as far as hot dogs go!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.