VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a bit tore up right now. I got an email yesterday from our shelter director that they put to sleep one of my favorite dogs and are planning on putting to sleep another one tomorrow. This is a proclaimed no-kill shelter but they do put to sleep animals on rare occassions. In this case both dogs are have medical conditions and aggression issues. But I didn't even get to say goodbye to the one dog. I don't even have any pictures of her (and the shelter never took pictures of her because she's a pit bull and we're not legally supposed to have pit bulls). I'm heading over now to spend some time with the other dog. =(

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm so very sorry - I know what that feels like. At our shelter (before it sadly closed due to lack of funds), I had the experience of playing with a certain dog for hours and coming in the next day to hear she had been put down because she was "too excitable". I can only imagine how hard it must be for the people who have to make and carry out those decisions. The dog I mentioned had been at the shelter for months, and while she had no major health or aggression problems, her sheer vitality was a turn-off to many people. In the end, they had to admit that every day she stayed at the shelter was a day we could have taken in another dog with a better chance of finding a home.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
A local shelter in my town was started since the pound had a basically 72hour then death thing. They were going to be a no-kill place... They kill more animals per month than the pound ever did. People take animals/strays there thinking they'll be given a home. Don't even feed them good food (expired foods), many animals are sick, but weren't before going there...

If the people in charge weren't the "backbone" of the town I'd really say something, but if I do, my parents could lose their jobs (and they don't even work in a related field).

My cat was a few hours from being put to sleep I was told... and he had just arrived 4HOURS prior.

Unfortunetely, the reason that some give "too excitable", "not child friendly" and the like are better described as "cheaper to kill".

Really sorry about that. They should've taken a picture (before doing it) to give you, and at least tell you beforehand; since I'm sure they knew you liked her.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it wasn't Perry. Perry hasn't shown any aggression to any volunteers that I know of so I don't think they'd put him down.

But anyways, when I went in to see the dog he was already gone. =( My mom says one of the senior volunteers took him home for the night so he wouldn't have spend his last 24 hours in a kennel. I'm sad I won't be able to say goodbye to him either.

All either dog wanted to do was give you kisses and have their belly rubbed.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Needy of dog bellyrubs.... And to chase mischevious cats too heh Kpickell!!! Yeah Go dog!!!

..(I mean at least dogs don't kill birds, unlike cats do,

but I know thats somewhat a side issue)... "Pitbulls" have the raw deal however ya know in that maybe a forgone conclusion is given as to what to do with them maybe?

[MAIN TEXT]

These dogs never got the chance at even saying goodbye to you properly and to be playful!!...That sucks...There should have been an innocent until proven guilty trial or whatever... you know what I mean. Killer/carers... A fine line for humans to take when making decisions about animal lives, 'earmarking them' as being allegedly aggressive, what and humans arn't aggressive??? Anyway, sorry they were deemed as must be put down candidates like they were!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
im sorry - i totally know how you feel sometimes when i go to my shelter i find out my faveourite dog was put dog because he snapped at a child or there was this one that playfully grabbed someones pants and they got put down the spca shleter almost seems to like putting dogs down somtimes it makes me so angry !

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. =)

<-- This is Rusty the chow mix that's being put down. (I probably won't keep him as my avatar for long though since now I get teary every time I log into VB).

edit: picture removed

·
Registered
0 Posts
you should have adopted the dog if liked her so much. and animal shelters DO NOT LIKE PUTTING ANIMALS TO SLEEP. but because of irresponsible pet owner's it has to be done. your so called no kill shelter's are just as bad.

from a shelter worker

·
Registered
51 Posts
Toy Collector:

I have to disagree with you. I am sure that where you work.... that the shelter employees must be very compassionate and care very deeply for the animals in their care. But you are wrong to say that all shelters and their employees feel the same way; I can promise you that they do not.

In my old hometown of Yukon, Oklahoma-- one summer 2 shelter workers put dogs into the trucks, drove them to the country, and shot them all to death. Seriously. Of course, they were caught-- and when asked why they did this, they said it was for stress relief. The dogs were barking and it was taking too long to put them all to sleep. Soon afterward, the animal shelter was turned over to a more humane agency for control, and now it is a really nice, great place.

My point is this-- everyone has a horror story about an animal shelter. I am so glad for you and the animals in your care that you have had such great experiences.... but the feelings that most people have about animal shelters are well founded. More and more animal shelters are getting better about care and humane solutions to pet overpopulation. But being defensive and attacking people who have had different experiences than your own... doesn't help anything.

Education is the key to helping overcrowded shelters get better. If you educate someone by yelling at them I don't think they will ever learn the message.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[branching off of the original topic]

I think the majority of shelters put to sleep way more animals than "has to be done". I understand space limitations and money problems, but there are alternative solutions. Check out the No More Homeless Pets campaign.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Worked, as in getting paid? That's what matters to you? No, that's the problem. With some people, money is more important than the welfare of the animals. How much money does the director of the Humane Society US make? Well, in 2001 it was over $285,000.

Our shelter is run entirely by volunteers. No one makes any money because it all goes back to the animals we care for. So just because we're volunteers we know nothing? Your just trying to make excuses now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Toy Collector:

I have worked in a few vet clinics, as a vet's assistant. After the "May 3rd" tornades in Oklahoma City in 1999, our clinic assisted the shelter with the MANY hurt animals that came in homeless and scared. So guess what that technically means:

* I have worked in an animal shelter

* I have assisted with surgeries and very sadly seen animals have to be put "to sleep"

Some points to ponder:

* "We hold these truths to be self-evident"; As proclaimed by the founders of our country, not every situation must be personally experienced/witnessed to be true.

* Conversely, the fact that one has witnessed an event under a certain set of circumstances does not make it a universal truth.

* I (and everyone else I'm sure), have gotten the point that you claimed to have worked in an animal shelter. We understand this, you've rarley passed up the opportunity to legitimize your stance by pointing to your alleged service in an animal shelter. This, even if true, does not however make you an expert on the goings on at every animal shelter in the United States -- nor does it make you privy to the protect and kill policies of these other shelters.

* Going with the immediately preceeding point, "I may not be a veternarian, but I know a horse's buitt when I smell one". By the same token, your apparent claim that it is essential to be a shelter employee to have any knowledge or useful commentary on welfare/kill policies is ridiculous.

* A couple of years ago, I worked at a vet clinic for a year or so. The vet who owned the clinic reguarly took shortcuts and cut corners in order to save money, often at the animals expense, a practice which ultimatley caused me to quit. If I were to apply your standard to my experience, the logical conclusion is that veternarians are greedy butchers who see every animal as nothing more than a potential source of income-- right? Come on, life's not that simple.

* This is very reminiscent of ardent pro-meat supporters that attack pro-vegetarian individuals by asking "have you worked in a chicken house? I have, and it's not like that" Behind every claim or point of view is a set of personal (or in some cases organizational) motivations and/or values. What are yours?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.