Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm just a sad and lonely vegan

Sittin' here wonderin' 'bout Riboflavin

I posted this new thread a day ago

Meanwhile commenting on pizza dough

I need an answer, I'd like it now

Is it from the soil or from a cow?

Am I just a Newbie or am I cursed?

Come and pity a vegan (only since Dec 31st!)

Neither Wiki or Google has since aided

My nerves are shot, my breath bated

Pray tell my fellow veggieheads

On the subject of Riboflavin: Is it good or bad instead?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Oh man, now I feel bad for not having the answer.
I think the only way to make sure is asking the company from which you're buying from whether it's animal-derived or not, though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i was pretty convinced it was always vegan... hmm...

and to think, i've lived off of pastas for so long and to imagine eating something that wasn't vegan... stuff happens though i guess. i was relient on peta's list of ingredients to look for, but i guess this is just another thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been wondering this same this, i fund this page helpful:

http://www.vrg.org/blog/2012/01/19/riboflavin-vitamin-b-2-and-niacin-vitamin-b-3-typically-vegan/

And there it seems that the only difference is where the chemical (or whatever it is!) is gotten from, so you would have to know where a given producer bought their riboflavin from. Naturally they dont put that on the packets, so i plan to avoid it altogether (will be buying a bread machine post haste!). Similar story for niacin, TBH knowing that the stuff can come from beef is enough to put me off anything with it as a listed ingredient. Also seems to be the kind of thing that my body really doesnt need - its versatile enough to be in anything from red bull to bread and yet you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a product that had it and one that diddnt (all else being equal). I think id prefer to just stear clear for the stuff.

interestingly, the above page seems to indicate that there is some work being dont to make it a requrement that terminology be more specific in these areas, that can only be a good thing. So watch this space.

p.s. your poem made me smile, too many vegan forums are needlessly combative and aggressive in my opinion, so thanks for that and sorry to be unable to help better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts