VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i became vegetarian 2 months ago, since then started eating very clean natural foods and cutting out not just meat but mostly wheat as well, using very little dairy.

when is healthy too healthy?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
It was talked about in this thread. (Warning: that thread contains numbers and weights...in case you are triggered by that sort of thing)

You had mentioned in the Eat to Live thread that you are/were recovering from an Eating Disorder. I would make sure you are 'eating healthy' for the right reasons, meaning not as a means of restriction but incorporated as part of a healthy lifestyle.

It is very possible to eat a balanced diet without dairy, but it does take some practice and planning!

I'm not sure why you would want to cut out wheat, unless you are intolerant of it or something. That might be an example of restricting for the hell of it versus following a cruelty-free lifestyle.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well...honestly I don't think there's such a thing as 'too' healthy. Healthy is what it is. There's no defining moment when you become so healthy you tip over into unhealthy. But then...make sure you have the right definition of what is healthy.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

WTF are "clean" foods?
Quote:
This is the question I get asked all the time. I think people assume it's really difficult and time-consuming. It's really just a matter of planning all meals and snacks ahead of time. Here are some basic principles of clean eating that you'll need to keep in mind:

Eat primarily non processed foods. If it comes out of a box, don't eat it. If it comes from the earth, eat it

Eat six times a day. This is to keep your metabolism fired up and it keeps you from getting too hungry

No alcohol or sodas. Drink lots of water and/or herbal unsweetened tea

Never miss a meal

Combine lean protein and complex carbs at every meal

Avoid all saturated and trans fats

Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
Source: http://www.cleaneatingonline.com/ind...lean&Itemid=54

There's one group's interpretation of 'clean eating'. I'm sure The Googles could give you more if you asked it.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

I'm sure The Googles could give you more if you asked it.
Yes, thank the Sweet Baby Jeebus for the Googles, so very giving, always.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Well...honestly I don't think there's such a thing as 'too' healthy. Healthy is what it is. There's no defining moment when you become so healthy you tip over into unhealthy. But then...make sure you have the right definition of what is healthy.
I totally disagree with you on that. "Healthy eating" can be taken too far. For example: when it becomes an obsession, when it consumes your life, when you become fearful of a majority of foods/food groups, when you consider some foods "safe" and others "dangerous/off limits", etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com...orthorexia.php

(ETA:Oops..posted before I looked at the link Scorpius listed.)

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I don't think there's such a thing as being too healthy. I DO think there's such a thing as being unnecessarily restrictive, but I don't consider that healthy.

For me, being vegan is enough of a dietary restriction in itself that I really don't feel the need or desire to be more restrictive than that. I don't think it would be sustainable for me to do so, either. I focus on eating a healthy, balanced vegan diet, but I don't feel the need to go all raw, or fat free, or never eat cupcakes or never have a glass of wine (although fewer cupcakes and less wine would probably be good
)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your input! I eat wheat free cause it bloats me and give me bad skin and allergies! I do however replace with maize pasta lotsa brown rice and ryebread!

I use to eat fish and chicken only before but it bugged me so much I use to get nightmares when I ate it but everyone told me I need the protein! Now I know how to get protein from plant sources and can sleep guilt free.

I am still balanced will just have to keep an eye on things,

I became vegetarian for the right reasons and my health improved, I love animals and will love and respect myself 2!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ashlend you sumped it up perfectly! Since I became vegetarian my lifestyle in it self became healthier! I just do it and prepare food! I don't count calories or wonder about everything I put in my mouth! I would eat a chocolate or cup cake if I feel like it,

I am just healthy I am however a bit reluctant in becoming Vegan as it could trigger something!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts