VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts
My friends stopped doing that pretty early on because after a while they knew if they said anything I'd only come back at them with some joke or comment about their lifestyle

The comments will stop about 2-3 weeks after your funeral. At your funeral, of course, somebody will comment on the veg*n diet being the cause of your death (even if you died in a plane crash).

--Fromper

Unfortunately, Josh James is right. People will always be stupid, and will always torment you about it. The only real cure is to separate yourself from the stupid people and surround yourself with people who think like you or you at least can deal with.

I have this saying or quote on my banner on my facebook.
Other peoples opinion of you doesn't have to become your reality .

So in other words other peoples comments and views and beliefs about your lifestyle and life and environment and diet should not become your reality. Live and eat and believe what you feel lead to live by and Eat don't worry about people outside your home what they think of you.

I think the trick is to make the person look like a jackass.

When they ask me where I get my protein, or claim that I couldn't possibly get enough of it, I go into a brief explanation of different types of proteins and amino acids, and how they're all readily available in vegetables at levels that are more than enough to satisfy dietary recommendations - and then I throw in that most Americans get 4 times too much protein [you should find statistics for your own country, of course), and that causes serious health problems.

If they ask about calcium (as I recently cut out dairy), I bring up how countries with higher dairy consumption rates have higher levels of osteoporosis, the reason for this, and why you're only getting a small portion of the calcium in a glass of milk, and why you're, literally, p***ing the rest away.

If you can show these people that, not only do they not understand vegetarian health in the slightest, they don't understand what they're talking about at all, they generally shut up.

Interesting thread. As this has been my lifestyle from a very young age, I've never encountered anything like this personally, although my boyfriend only went veggie about 5 years ago - and suffered at the hands (big gobs) of his workmates, who poked fun at him for it.

I tell you what does bug me though, folk that think dietary changes are more valid (i.e. - you're less of a fruitcake) if it's because of health reasons, as opposed to ethical ones. Not that I especially care what people think of me in terms of what I consume, it's more that dopey, vacant look when they say "ooooh you don't do it because you don't agree with it then..", it's as if you can hear them breathe a sigh of relief when they think they're not talking to a preachy nut job.

Whilst there is no instant cure to remove yourself from being the butt of peoples jokes/bullying comments, just remember that it's THEY who have the problem, not you. Folk who tease veggies are no better than veggies who tease omnis, or people who tease disabled folk, or whatever. The world is sadly quite full of of oxygen thieves, and making positive lifestyle choices is a great way to sort the wheat from the chaff.

There really isn't too much you can do to them. It's their ignorance.

If they are really curious and really want to know so they can make healthier eating choices in their lives then talking to them can be constructive.

If they are making fun of you for their own amusement at your expense, it won't help them and it won't help you. Don't let them ruin your day. Let it roll off your back.

I get sick of hearing people ask all those question. If I don't explain it, they walk away thinking they're smarter than me. At least if I explain it to them they can only PRETEND they think they're smarter than me when in fact they know their arguments are dead. If I were you I'd write an FAQ sheet and print out a million copies, then just hand them out so you don't have to explain it all every time someone asks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

My family has more or less stopped after 20+ years, but still get it from new friends/acquaintances. I usually ignore it or if they are being extra obnoxious about it, I answer them in slightly graphic terms.....

Them: Here have a chicken sandwich, it's soooo good.
Me: Thanks, but I'll pass on the pus filled, rotting carcass. Did you know they are allowed to cut out the tumors and sell the rest of the flesh. Well, enjoy your sandwich.

Hearing the food they are about to eat described like that will often make them think twice about bothering you in the future.

(And yes, the tumor and pus filled parts are true...they often get a disease called airsacculitis)
YES! It is true.Pus and more! My dad was a retired butcher, and he had many "interesting" meat cutting adventures!

I don't know that the annoyance ever stops, but eventually most of those close to you will tire of the questions and comments and realize that you're not going to change. What has worked well for me is to bring up the baby animal issue. I give them a quick rundown on the abuse and torture and murder of the little baby chicks, piglets and calves. Most are shocked and the room suddenly becomes veeery quiet. Shuts down the smart a**es every time, and makes those who are sincerely questioning stop and think. Good luck. Hang in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerit View Post

I don't think it will end, at least until we get rid of our reputation of being pot smoking hippies, unfortunantly.

I don't smoke pot, and I'm not a hippie, but what's wrong with pot smoking hippies?

Initally I will try to educate them but if it keeps up or is part of many conversations I carry on like nothing was said.

If they repeat their daft question or comment I don't acknowledge it.

If they get angry and push it they end up looking stupid as their 'funny' comment has, by then, zero humour left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

I don't smoke pot, and I'm not a hippie, but what's wrong with pot smoking hippies?
Vegkid, I don't think they were necessarily calling pot smoking hippies bad, but rather that the well-worn stereotype DOESN'T apply to everyone. As a pot smoking hippie myself, I realize that that's not what everyone wants to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by natronheart View Post

Vegkid, I don't think they were necessarily calling pot smoking hippies bad, but rather that the well-worn stereotype DOESN'T apply to everyone. As a pot smoking hippie myself, I realize that that's not what everyone wants to be
'Twas a joke. I know what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

"The only thing I can suggest in regards explaining yourself is... don't. What business is it of theirs?

I have never explained my actions. Unless pressed into a corner. I don't tell anyone, preach about it, wear a shirt with something on it announcing my lifestyle.... anything. I just keep myself to myself and go about my day. It just adds fuel to those that want to make a fire out of your beliefs.

There's nothing worse than a militant, preachy veg*n."

That may have something to do with it! I just read that as your response on another thread. How can anyone try to understand what you don't explain? No need to preach, or try and convert. Food is a big deal. I find food conversations almost every day, not eating animals shouldn't be any more weird than not eating greens. There's tons of vegan food people eat and like without ever considering the idea of going vegan. Most people just don't think about it because there's not any reason to think about it.
We had a cookout at work and a coworker brought a wonderful Asian cabbage slaw that had sunflower seeds in it. I thanked her for it being vegan and she was surprised because she didn't even think of me when she made it, it was just her take-somplace dish. By bringing things like that to peoples attention, they start realizing that vegan food isn't boring, or weird, just another way to eat.
This is me. I don't announce it or talk about it. People never even notice for the most part. If someone asks, I will tell them. I inevitably get some goon going on about how much they love meat or lecturing me about protein, and when I don't respond,they usually stop.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.