VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Are you hungry?"
"yeah, I could do a sandwich or something".
"Here - chicken and sweetcorn".
"Umm, no thanks".
"what's up with that?"
"I don't eat meat."
"What are you? Gay or something?"

The usual exchange between my friends and I.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm no shrinking violet at all. I'm a grown man - a big one at that - but the constant fun-poking is getting tedious.

Are long-term veg*ns on here still being made the butt of jokes and such?

Even when I try to point out why, I get the usual dull replies. "where do you get protein from?" "you need calcium for your bones and teeth", etc, etc.

It's all very dull, very tedious and so, SO boring.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Lol
Well... being the healthiest person in my family and circle of friends doesn't really give omnivores much ammunition. And I'm usually the one making the jokes
Like those dairy commercials. "Studies show that 2 out of 3 Canadians aren't getting their recommended daily intake of dairy products" Me: "Those stupid vegans"

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
eventually....family or extended family can be the worst. You still have to have contact with them

·
Registered
0 Posts
i'm fairly new myself. yes, the constant teasing does get veerrrry annoying. was pretty horrible at first but i can say most of it has toned down now that they can see that i'm not sickly and malnourished. pretty sure some of it won't ever die out though. for example, went swimming with some friends a couple days ago and one friend's boyfriend texted her and asked if she was having fun "vegan swimming". really????
if he were 12 and not like 22 that might not be as obnoxious....... anyway, only real advise i have to offer is to try not to let it get to you too much. when they see the positive effects that the veg*an diet having on you and they won't really be able to argue with it.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
After so long I still have friends that think they can convert me. I find it more fun and sad for them than tedious. I usedto find it boring and tedious, but I managed to turn it around in a way that I'm able to laugh it off.

I'm leaving for a road trip to the Atlantic provinces tomorrow and someone going actually thinks I'll "cave" over lobster... I'll enjoy the fresh produce at the farmer's market, they can enjo whatever they want to.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

After so long I still have friends that think they can convert me. I find it more fun and sad for them than tedious. I usedto find it boring and tedious, but I managed to turn it around in a way that I'm able to laugh it off.

I'm leaving for a road trip to the Atlantic provinces tomorrow and someone going actually thinks I'll "cave" over lobster... I'll enjoy the fresh produce at the farmer's market, they can enjo whatever they want to.
Lobster? Really? Of all the things to jump off the wagon for, that's the winner?
I tried the stuff 3 years ago and I wouldn't eat it again even if I was an omnivore. It's no wonder everybody soaks the stuff in butter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

It doesn't end. You have not chosen the path of least resistance. Get used to it.
You sound like a cross between an angry school teacher and Yoda with better grammar!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
"The only thing I can suggest in regards explaining yourself is... don't. What business is it of theirs?

I have never explained my actions. Unless pressed into a corner. I don't tell anyone, preach about it, wear a shirt with something on it announcing my lifestyle.... anything. I just keep myself to myself and go about my day. It just adds fuel to those that want to make a fire out of your beliefs.

There's nothing worse than a militant, preachy veg*n."

That may have something to do with it! I just read that as your response on another thread. How can anyone try to understand what you don't explain? No need to preach, or try and convert. Food is a big deal. I find food conversations almost every day, not eating animals shouldn't be any more weird than not eating greens. There's tons of vegan food people eat and like without ever considering the idea of going vegan. Most people just don't think about it because there's not any reason to think about it.
We had a cookout at work and a coworker brought a wonderful Asian cabbage slaw that had sunflower seeds in it. I thanked her for it being vegan and she was surprised because she didn't even think of me when she made it, it was just her take-somplace dish. By bringing things like that to peoples attention, they start realizing that vegan food isn't boring, or weird, just another way to eat.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

and someone going actually thinks I'll "cave" over lobster...
"If" I was to ever fall off the wagon, lobster or other sea food would be the downfall, or chocolate mini candybars. But no worry.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

It doesn't end. You have not chosen the path of least resistance. Get used to it.
or think of some good comebacks!

I dont think the comments ever stop, not that I get many anyway, but the longer the more prepared you are with answers haha.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

"The only thing I can suggest in regards explaining yourself is... don't. What business is it of theirs?

I have never explained my actions. Unless pressed into a corner. I don't tell anyone, preach about it, wear a shirt with something on it announcing my lifestyle.... anything. I just keep myself to myself and go about my day. It just adds fuel to those that want to make a fire out of your beliefs.

There's nothing worse than a militant, preachy veg*n."

That may have something to do with it! I just read that as your response on another thread. How can anyone try to understand what you don't explain? No need to preach, or try and convert. Food is a big deal. I find food conversations almost every day, not eating animals shouldn't be any more weird than not eating greens. There's tons of vegan food people eat and like without ever considering the idea of going vegan. Most people just don't think about it because there's not any reason to think about it.
We had a cookout at work and a coworker brought a wonderful Asian cabbage slaw that had sunflower seeds in it. I thanked her for it being vegan and she was surprised because she didn't even think of me when she made it, it was just her take-somplace dish. By bringing things like that to peoples attention, they start realizing that vegan food isn't boring, or weird, just another way to eat.
Hey, listen, if I offended you with that, I'm sorry - that wasn't my aim at all.

I live in a town in England that, if it were American, would be called "redneck". The safest and easiest way to avoid yet ANOTHER boring conversation about how I'm not "gay" or "weird" or "have something wrong with me" is to simply not give them bait to bite on.

I'm so bored with having to explain my actions - like I have to do so - to every dull moron that questions why I won't have a slice of pepperoni pizza.

It's simply my way of coping. Silence is golden where I live.

Thankfully, I am moving soon to a place where the veg*n lifestyle isn't quite so out of the ordinary. But I'll tell you that story another day.

Again - apologies if you thought I was trying to be obtuse.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
My family has more or less stopped after 20+ years, but still get it from new friends/acquaintances. I usually ignore it or if they are being extra obnoxious about it, I answer them in slightly graphic terms.....

Them: Here have a chicken sandwich, it's soooo good.
Me: Thanks, but I'll pass on the pus filled, rotting carcass. Did you know they are allowed to cut out the tumors and sell the rest of the flesh. Well, enjoy your sandwich.

Hearing the food they are about to eat described like that will often make them think twice about bothering you in the future.

(And yes, the tumor and pus filled parts are true...they often get a disease called airsacculitis)

·
Registered
622 Posts
I just ignore them, and then the stopped! Took a few months but never get to their level, it proves nothing.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

I live in a town in England that, if it were American, would be called "redneck". The safest and easiest way to avoid yet ANOTHER boring conversation about how I'm not "gay" or "weird" or "have something wrong with me" is to simply not give them bait to bite on.

I'm so bored with having to explain my actions - like I have to do so - to every dull moron that questions why I won't have a slice of pepperoni pizza.

Thankfully, I am moving soon to a place where the veg*n lifestyle isn't quite so out of the ordinary. But I'll tell you that story another day.
I'm glad that you are moving to a better area. Hopefully it won't be full of close minded, ignorant homophobic people like the ones that you seem to encounter there.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

Hey, listen, if I offended you with that, I'm sorry - that wasn't my aim at all.

Again - apologies if you thought I was trying to be obtuse.
oh. I'm sorry, I certainly wasn't offended, I just didn't understand why you felt the need to be silent. There are all too many places like the one you describe. I'm so glad you're getting out!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes! Except I play along, and I find it funny too. It's just my friends taking the piss like they usually do, and like I do to them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree it probably doesn't end. I don't get family grief and I'm not that social.

This is what I have come up with at work: If I'm offered food, I simply say "I don't like to be offered food" If someone asks me what I'm eating: "I don't like to talk about food"

Offensive maybe. But I'm at work to do my job and make a living. I don't care anymore.

I know this approach can't work for most people.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Getting people to shut up was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I wish I had done it sooner. I started being a d*ck when people would tease me or I would flat out tell them shut up. It only took once or twice. I'm sure I hurt a lot of feelings, but they got over it. I'm not a mean person at all, I just got really sick of being a target and having my personal beliefs mocked. My comments back got people realizing that it's not funny, it's rude. You could even do it in a joking way like "I think I've heard that joke before. Oh yeah, your Mom told it to me last night when I was b***ing her."

1 - 20 of 48 Posts