VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I eat a lot of wheat germ. Is there anything bad about it? Has anyone heard anything? I put it on my salad, on my fruit, on my yogurt, on my cereal, EVERYTHING! It has folic acid in it, this much I know. If anyone wants wheatgerm ideas, I have them!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I only think it's bad if you have a wheat allergy or sensitivity, but since you eat a lot of it, I doubt it. It's a great source of fiber and other nutrients. I used to eat it alone like cereal when I was a kid.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i love wheat germ!! i use it to bread everything. i also use it in breakfast, like oatmeal, or even if it is cold cereal--i still put some in. in a quick bread or muffin recipe, i always use some wheat germ in place of the fluor as well. also, flax seed in the same manner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone recommend a good brand? I'm interested in the brands you can buy bulk and that contain a lot pf protein. As of now I'm using Kreschmers. (sp?) It's been really hard for me to find organic wheat germ....any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
To answer Fairchild's question, yes, I used to eat it in a little bowl with a little spoon with some milk and sugar. I don't anymore though, especially because I don't eat milk or sugar anymore.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to try that! Wheatgerm with milk on it..like cereal. that might me good! I can add a different sweetener instead of sugar. (I still do organic cruelty-free dairy once in a while.) thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i gotta try eating wheat germ! i did in the past, but really...i didn't try hard enough to incorporate it into my diet. the bread crumbs idea is a great one! aside from matzo meal...most bread crumbs i've been able to find in the store are....just one big long list of ingredients. which i never ever trust when i see.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am buying wheat germ tomorrow to make flax, weat germ, raisin, sunflower seed muselie! I figure it wll be great with a bit of soy milk...I need the fiber!

FYI- there is no such thing as cruelty free dairy...not to start a debate or anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts