VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a vegan for over a year. Im just wondering, where is all the vitamin b12? I read that its one of the harder things to find. I found a shake that has 100% B12 in it, but I was wondering what good foods its in. I heard its only found in grass mostly (shouldnt be that hard to come by then haha) and animals eat it, therefore they absorb it.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
B12 is produced by bacteria and can be found in soil. Grazing animals get it when eating grass etc. (So in theory you can get B12 from eating say, an unwashed carrot from your garden, assuming the right kinds of bacteria are present. But that is not a reliable source of B12 and could cause other problems so I certainly don't recommend it!)

To make sure you are getting B12, I would recommend a sublingual B12 tablet. I take a rather high dose a few times a month and my B12 levels are quite high (you should ask your doc to test your levels on a yearly basis).

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
^^^ What Fyvel said. Some sea vegetables were formerly thought to contain B-12, but it was something that gave a false result in chemical tests for B-12- your body can't use it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
You can take supplements (which is definitely recommended) but many vegans also get a considerable amount of B12 from fortified foods, soymilk is a common one (though not all soymilks are fortified). Many brands of nutritional yeast, used as a cheese substitute, also have added b12. Other than a insignificant amount found in mushrooms there are no good "whole food" vegan sources.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok, I found a flavor of Naked Juice (A blue one, I think blue machine) and it has 100% per serving (4 servings per bottle).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts