VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've not been here long so forgive me if someone has already done this (and I wouldn't be surprised). If so, please do throw the link my way so I can have a read :3

So I've been asked by my teacher to write a feature on my website about vegetarianism, and I wanted to know your thoughts. What's your favourite thing about being a vegetarian? The impact on the environment? Animal welfare? Just cleaning up your diet?

Also, would it be okay to put it up on my site? http://veggie-nibblers.ucajournalism.com/ I'm still bulking it out. :3

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, yeah, I often say that to other students. Our housemate once asked my veggie partner and I how long it takes to defrost a chicken. We were like "Uhh..we don't know. We don't risk food poisoning." xD

Unless we're cooking dried beans. You just don't mess with those.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not having to be paranoid about washing the cutting board between meat and veg dishes!!!! yay!!!!!

That and I'm way healthier now.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
More serious answer: Not feeling like a massive hypocrite for being an animal lover. Im not a spiritual person, but I feel at peace or something like that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I love that it forces me to be creative. I know that won't ring true with everyone, but it is for me. I love to cook and try new things and being veg*n kinda forces that on me. My diet used to revolve around some sort of meat, and then I'd have rice and a crappy vegetable side if I was feeling crazy. Now I make vegetables delicious. I can't (or choose not to) just drive through some crappy fast food place anymore. I plan ahead and use real food. It's been about four months since I went veg and I've tried more new dishes in that time than in the past five years. I also don't feel guilty for what I'm eating. This way of eating makes sense to me. And I agree with Pirate Ferret, I'm not spiritual, but I feel at peace (or something like that).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I totally agree with that! I've been veggie for about two years now and I've tried such a wider variety of foods since. It used to be a bowl of chicken nuggets and barbeque sauce! Now it's a plate covered with veggies, of usually three varieties, wholegrain something ontop mixed with beans and drizzled with olive oil. It just feels so much better putting the thought in. :3

·
Registered
642 Posts
The benefits to the animals are the first thing that comes to mind when I think about my reasons for first going vegetarian and then later vegan. However, I think the most personal thing about it has been purely emotional. I feel better knowing that the decisions I make are causing less harm in the world. I feel more confident in my choices when I choose to purchase something. Knowing that I can live without supporting needless suffering is very uplifting. I think, for me, it boils down to: "Do good, feel good".

·
Registered
49 Posts
being a lot less likely to get food poisoning[/QUOT

I've had food poisoning from meat a few times and I wonder now why that didn't make me go veg a long time ago! But... in the past month I've had a dead moth and actual MUD in salads! I just stopped eating after I saw the moth, and send back the other and they wanted to 'wash off' the mud and bring it back but I'd kind of gone off the idea of eating it by then...) On the other hand I remember going out in the garden as a child and pulling up carrots and eating them without washing and never got sick.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

I love that it forces me to be creative. I know that won't ring true with everyone, but it is for me. I love to cook and try new things and being veg*n kinda forces that on me. My diet used to revolve around some sort of meat, and then I'd have rice and a crappy vegetable side if I was feeling crazy. Now I make vegetables delicious. I can't (or choose not to) just drive through some crappy fast food place anymore. I plan ahead and use real food. It's been about four months since I went veg and I've tried more new dishes in that time than in the past five years. I also don't feel guilty for what I'm eating. This way of eating makes sense to me. And I agree with Pirate Ferret, I'm not spiritual, but I feel at peace (or something like that).
This is a great answer. I will expand on it a bit (for me). I love the colors you get when you go veg. As you can see from my avatar I'm with the Patriot Guard Riders. Some tough ass bastards, many of whom are war veterans and generally some of the best people I know. We went to a Golden Corral once for lunch. Every one's plates were brown because they had loaded up on meat. My plate was real colorful cause it was totally vegetables. Believe me, everyone noticed. Yes, if forces me to be creative whether I'm cooking or eating out. Plus I think the textures and flavors are better than eating meat. As a general rule, meat has the same texture and flavor all the time. I just really prefer the flavors, colors and textures of veggies.

I am a spiritual person. Nothing I can do about that. Since I stopped eating meat I feel better all around. I don't take the suffering and fear into my body. I'm doing what I can to not increase suffering on this planet. That includes not creating arbitrary situations to feel guilty. My version of vegetarian is very functional in the real world. Not that another person's method isn't just as functional for them. I'm just saying that I have a plan that works for me every day, all day, and involves nothing from a slaughterhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkswan View Post

My digestion is a lot better since giving up meat and dairy (I still eat fish and eggs).
I don't eat fish or eggs but, yes, digestion is perfect. When you're a crusty old ******* with psychological scars from exposure to too much violence for too long having a healthy digestive system is a blessing from the universe. You get the idea. Do I really need to get graphic here dammit?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I like the fact that it puts me in the spotlight and forces me to be at my best. As with falconbrother, I'm often with a tough crowd, and one that isn't overly accepting of vegetarianism. If someone else does poorly on an Army fitness test or passes out due to heat exhaustion while hauling a bunch of gear through the mountains, it's because they didn't work out enough or drink enough water. If it happens to me, people are going to assume it's because I didn't eat enough meat and am just too weak to keep up. All eyes are on me, and I'm not about to be made an example of. When I'm out there I do things with the mindset of a tireless machine and they all know I didn't need to gorge on beef and other "manly" foods to do it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I love eating without the feeling of guilt. I can focus on the good of what I eat rather than feeling sad and guilty over the animals.

·
The prowling wolf
878 Posts
Just fairly simple for me: I love the fact that I'm actively reducing animal suffering!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

I like the fact that it puts me in the spotlight and forces me to be at my best. As with falconbrother, I'm often with a tough crowd, and one that isn't overly accepting of vegetarianism. If someone else does poorly on an Army fitness test or passes out due to heat exhaustion while hauling a bunch of gear through the mountains, it's because they didn't work out enough or drink enough water. If it happens to me, people are going to assume it's because I didn't eat enough meat and am just too weak to keep up. All eyes are on me, and I'm not about to be made an example of. When I'm out there I do things with the mindset of a tireless machine and they all know I didn't need to gorge on beef and other "manly" foods to do it.
BTW, Thank you for your service brother.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm not AR so the benefits I've reaped are with regard to health and food cost. On average being veg*n has cut my monthly food bill in half.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts