VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I've tossed my expensive pampered chef non-stick stuff and kept my stainless steel (SS) stuff from Revereware.

But... now I'm hopelessly needing more pots and pans b/c I cook so much. Plus, I need a couple of BIG pots for my larger soup, stew and sauce recipes.

So, I started doing some looking. Whoa. The choices out there have broadened by a LONG shot since the last time I even glimpsed in the direction of cookware. In fact, the field is SO wide, I have no idea where to begin.

I want something good but not outrageously expensive. Absolutely NO non-stick crud. I like my stainless steel stuff. I've seen a few brands that are rather thin on the bottom and it seems like these would burn easier than my current SS pans. (My current pans have a thick bottom [no visible copper but it might be sandwiched in between layers of SS]. That sounds vaguely familiar.)

So, I do have some idea of what I'd like, and you wouldn't think it would be that hard to choose, right? Well, I punched up a kitchen site and about fainted when I saw how many choices they had for cookware!

That's where I need help narrowing the field. So, could you guys tell me your favs and why you like 'em?

TIA!!

·
Banned
1,524 Posts
I bought a set of "Leyse Commercial" years ago and I love it. Very thick bottom, reasonably thick walls. I was apprehensive about the pyrex and metal lids, but I've come to prefer them. The set was around 100 bucks (3 saucepans, one big pot).

If you need to have cold handles, this isn't the set for you. Theirs are all metal so you can put them in the oven.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hands-down, the best way to cook beans, rice and greens is in a crockpot. It's kind of magical -- you put your veggies, beans and grains in the pot, turn it on, and the next day, it's dinner.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I love love love love love my stainless steel set. Forget the non stick junk. It's garbage..I don't care how much you spend on it they fall apart after a while. Stay away from teflon. I got my current Tramontina set off of Overstock.com for like 70% off. Great deal. They are real heavy. If you get stainless steal, you need to watch how high or hot you have your heat because they heat a lot easier and quicker. Also make sure you use some type of oil. I use a touch of vegetable oil. They clean up very nicely and the food comes out so much better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BeanLady, I've got a crockpot already (and have for many more years than I'd like to admit
) but that won't work for most of what I cook. I need more stainless pots and pans. (I've got a 1qt, 2qt, 3 qt, 4 qt and a 6 qt but I need TWICE this much plus an 8 qt pot and a 16 qt pot. Yes, I do a serious amount of cooking.)

SotallyTober, Yeah, I agree. As I wrote above I do not want any non-stick stuff. It's poison and not safe no matter what they say.

I love my stainless steel set, too, as I've had it for ....ummmm ...a long time.

=============

Anyone know of a review site? oh wait... I forgot about my consumer reports online subscription - duh! ... (off to check it)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh why, oh why did I have to go there?

Now, I want a cookware set I can't afford.
The All-clad copper core set seemed like the cat's meow to me, and safe, too, jic I forgot it on the stove (as we all once-a-great-while sometimes do). It was the ONLY stainless steel cookware (that they tested) that the bottom didn't separate from the pan in an icky gooey molten metal mess. (That would completely mess up my smooth stovetop.)

So... that site wasn't really any help to me. Next!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Hmmm, yeah, well, I'm not a lot of help to you specifically, because the cookware I use currently is Calphelon (sp?) (their fry pans have a sort of non-stick surface which I find totally different than the "teflon" stuff but may still be unacceptable to you, I'm not sure). I love the stuff though.

I also have several pots from All Clad which I love too, and several cast iron skillets that I couldn't do without.

Oddly enough I never had any luck whatsoever with the copper-bottom RevereWare and threw it all out in frustration several years ago...

If you have a chance, I would suggest going to a kitchenwares store or department and looking at pans, how they 'feel' in your hands, etc... it's amazing how something can sound so perfect online but be so VERY wrong when you have it in front of you...

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
I tossed my Calphalon last year and replaced it with the Sur La Table house brand of stainless pots and pans. They're comparable to All-clad in weight and feel, and I couldn't be happier. I think it was about 2/3 the cost of the All-clad. The boxed sets are very good deals.

I love my Le Creuset (I'm not running downstairs to check the spelling!) dutch ovens, but they are heavy. And I have my grandmother's set of iron frying pans that I use daily.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Certain non-stick pans are better than others. If you spend $20 on one, of course it's going to be crap and the coating will flake off.

But if you get, say, Calphalon, the stuff doesn't come off. And it's only toxic if you heat the pan empty on the stove and let it get to unusually high temperatures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon#Safety

I also really like the enameled Le Creuset stuff.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm of the opinion that all non-sticks are dangerous no matter how much or supposed how well they are manufactured. But that isn't what this thread is about.

I did go to a kitchen store and got to handle some pans. They didn't have the All-clad copper core but did have the All-clad Stainless steel line. Very, very nice. I liked the weight (heavy) and the feel of the pans. I also liked the fact that it, too, was a one piece interior construction of the aluminum sandwiched b/t the SS. And the price was HALF the copper core stuff.

Spoke to a knowledgeable guy there and he indicated that while the copper core is a nicer set, there wasn't a whole lot of difference b/t the two once you got to cooking.

So... maybe... just maybe, I'll get a set when we get in our bonus check sometime within the next week or two.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I just got a cast iron pan and really like it so far. They might be more expensive though. I can't help otherwise, I'm in the process of getting over my teflon addiction.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have some All-Clad, and some Wolfgang Puck. I like both of them because they are heavy. I got my Wolfgang Puck pots and pans at Sam's Club and they were quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just picked up new Calphalon Stainless Steel pans and i love them. I am fazing out my olf Tephlon stuff and switching over to all Stainless Steel stuff. I have a set of Stainless Steel pots that I bought at Ikea a few years ago that I also absolutly love.

If you want to get good prices on real good pots and pans checkout Amazon. The Calphalon pans that i picked up retail for $80 and I only paid $29 for them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts