VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many acres do you use to keep yourself alive? Do you know? I use 10.. the average American needs 24.

Go to myfootprint.org to find out how many acres of land YOU use in comparison to the others in your country.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
FOOD 3.5

MOBILITY 0.5

SHELTER 7.7

GOODS/SERVICES 5.4

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 17

ETA- I think my shelter is high bc I live in a city that gets really hot and really cold. My food is high bc I don't think many of my foods are local.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 2.2

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 2

GOODS/SERVICES 1.5

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 6

i completely guessed for which city's weather is most like mine though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My total is a sad 14, but if I became a vegan and ate mostly locally produced whole foods, I could get it down to 9. If I lived in an energy-efficient green-design residence, I could get it to 5.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Mine is 5.8 now, but I live with my parents who have a fair sized house. I am also not working, so I don't drive much. When I start my summer job and move to a cabin in the park where I work, my footprint will be 3.9 because I ride my bike to work and live in a smaller house.

Also, my number would be higher in the winter when I have to buy all my produce, whereas in summer I get some of it from my garden or local farmers.

It says the average in Canada is 8.8, however I thought it would be closer to the USA because we use so much more power to heat our homes and in the winter we cannot cycle or walk everywhere.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I did this earlier today, I was going to post the poll here, but am ashamed of my results.

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 2.5

MOBILITY 1.7

SHELTER 17.3

GOODS/SERVICES 12.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 34

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
FOOD 0.5

MOBILITY 0.2

SHELTER 1

GOODS/SERVICES 0.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.6

i think my score was pretty low because i have the luxury of access to cheap public transport, and because i have the time to spend cooking most of our food from scratch and to compost/garden, and have access to extensive recycling facilities. also, we live in a townhouse.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
FOOD 0.6

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 1.1

GOODS/SERVICES 0.9

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 2.6

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.4 PLANETS.

Damn, I've got to improve something .

(hugs kreeli for her score)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dotnetdiva

I did this earlier today, I was going to post the poll here, but am ashamed of my results.

CATEGORY ACRES

FOOD 2.5

MOBILITY 1.7

SHELTER 17.3

GOODS/SERVICES 12.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 34
Aww.. don't be ashamed. Look at it this way: at least now you KNOW what you can do to change things. If you had never taken the quiz you would have never known.. and probably would have never known that you need to change!

·
Registered
0 Posts
FOOD 0.4

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.5

GOODS/SERVICES 0.5

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 1.4

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 7.6 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.0 PLANETS

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey.... I'm suprised how good I did.

FOOD 0.5

MOBILITY 1.2

SHELTER 0.4

GOODS/SERVICES 1.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.3

The average for Australia is 7.6

1 - 20 of 48 Posts