VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'd love to know what you reply to people who ask you "why are you a vegetarian?". And by people I mean people who are not vegetarian and who, just by the sound of their voice when they ask the question, already consider you as a weird hippie who just wants to spoil the evening. lol I'm kidding I'm being harsh, I don't meet a lot of veggie haters to be honest.

But the thing is, when strangers ask me this (like we're at the same table at a wedding.. btw, I'm going to a wedding in 2 weeks) I always come up with the complicated answer or it takes me several seconds to answer (which does scare people) and I end up saying how compassionate I am with other species and the fact that I don't think we have the right to treat animals the way we do, that we don't need to eat animals to be healthy ect.

I'd like to have a clear answer to give but there are just so many reasons and I don't want people to think it's only for health reasons.

Your 2 cents are welcome!!

Thx,

Louise

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Most often when I think someone isnt being sincere about the question I respond,"because not being vegetarian/vegan doesnt make sense to me" and leave it at that. It's not a complete response but I'll usually find out if they are really interested if they ask me more about it. I try to stay away from topic in large public/family events because I feel it's better as a personal conversation with fewer people.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
I say that it seems like a best decision because it is healthy and doesn`t cause suffering of animals

·
Registered
222 Posts
I used to say "for the animals", now I say "Because the way we produce meat is ecologically unsustainable."

While I really became a vegetarian for the former, I feel the latter is a bit more firm, and it gives me something objective to talk about.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I always say "Because I feel like it's unnecessary to kill animals when I can get all my necessary nutrients without something dying."

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
cause I love animals and dont want to eat them.....

peace

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I say "For me, animals, and our planet, Questions?"

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdead-goaway View Post

I used to say "for the animals", now I say "Because the way we produce meat is ecologically unsustainable."

While I really became a vegetarian for the former, I feel the latter is a bit more firm, and it gives me something objective to talk about.
I agree. Something can be based even more firmly on scary facts, because for some reason "they feel pain too" doesn't connect as much as "We're all going to die"

·
Registered
132 Posts
I care about the planet, I care about my being, and I care about other beings. It's a curt answer but I've found out the hard way (soooooo many times) if you try and give a lengthy answer they usually get super defensive and try and have an illogical debate with you about it. (even though they asked in the first place.) oh well.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Because modern meat consumption is done for pleasure, not necessity. Killing for pleasure is against the code I choose to live by.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Hardly anyone asks except relatives now and then, and nearly all of them are Catholic. I tell them I'm offering it up for the poor souls in Purgatory.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
To people that are kind and genuinely curious, I just say, "For the animals", because I don't want to go too deep in my feelings because I don't want to sound like I'm talking down to them. If someone is just being mean and rude, though, I'll say, "Because I won't be a murderer".

·
Registered
889 Posts
So far, when someone asks why I'm vegetarian, they seem to follow it up immediately with, "For health reasons?"

Since I've yet to have a stranger ask me, I usually give as much as the whole story as possible: I believe that our modern methods of farming and slaughter are inhumane and disgusting hygienically and morally. This makes it impossible for me to eat meat in good conscience.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whenever I'm asked, I say "Do you want the long version or the short version?". My short version is "because I want to be one" (can you tell I'm tired of being asked? haha) and my long version involves how it happened and what it means to me. I figure I'd rather give the person the choice because most people seem to just be gearing up for a debate, which I am sooo not into.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I usually just say some variation on: "I love animals, I don't need animal products, I feel way better without them." It's nice and short and non-confrontational. If the person asks for details or gets hostile about it I get more informative

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.