VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what animals you keep as pets as I've been calculating most of us do have cats. Ain't it a notorious coincidence?

I have two 10 yr old siamese, I had a 10 yr old dog (died Jan this year), 1 morrocoyo turtle and 4 goldfish. I don't keep birds because I hate birds in cages (as well as damn pet shops). We would love to adopt a raccoon, but having a small house won't be fair for him. If it was for me, my house would be filled with all kind of animals, but I keep only the ones I can really take care of.

I guess that having a pet is like having children (excuse me for the comparison). It's something that one has to plan carefully. I hate when people decides to adopt an animal and later abandon it because they got bored of it or the animal became uncontrollable.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I just have one cat right now. He's about 4 years old?(someone threw him out at a friends' apt. and I took him) and weighs about 12 pounds. He's in my photo gallery. Growing up my brother (8yrs older) had things like: snakes, spiders, rats,scorpion, baby alligators, oscars and a ferret.
So I've been around a lot of different animals! My fav. job that didn't pay squat was working at a pet store. I would get there earlt every day just so I could play with the animals.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have 5 cats and 2 dogs right now. In addition to that I feed homeless cats and foster cats and kittens, and am fostering a cat and 6 kittens currently.

And I want more, more cats that is! It's not that I hate dogs, it's just that I don't have the time to walk them, and don't have a big enough backyard for them to enjoy. I want more cats because there are so many that need homes out there, probably moreso than any other domesticated animal. When I do get my own house, I will just occupy one room, and fill the rest with cats of my own and cats that I rescue. Yes, I'm that crazy young cat man you've been told about

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
We have four cats and two rats.

People always ask if the cats want to eat the rats. They don't. I wouldn't leave a rat alone in a room with a cat, but our indoor cats understand that the rats are to be left alone. They ignore the rats in their cage, and might watch them when they are out of it but have never made a threatening move. They even sniff noses once in a while.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have 13 cats and one dog.....and all get along pretty well for the most part. Well, we actually kind of have 2 dogs, since we are always dog sitting for my sister; he's at my house more than his own (which makes him happy - he eats like a king at my house
).

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Our family has 6 rottweillers...we love them to death. We'd like to get a cat, but we can't with the dogs

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyandbunny

Krava?

As in cow? LOL!
Yup. You saw the picture. She's quite the heifer.

Glad you appreciate the name. I came up with it instead of the more common name The Amanda Foundation had for her ("Joy").

·
Registered
177 Posts
2 awesome cats

- Jack, a 13 yr. old, 15 lb. Maine Coon that we swear is human

- Popeye, a 5 year old, sweet little one-eyed-wonder-kitty that we rescued

3 awesome 2 year old rats - brothers from the same litter

- Turbo, Black and Skull - they're so mellow - I need to learn from them!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have 2 dogs, a Shire horse, a Cockatiel and 2 Swallows (I'm fostering the cuties for now!). I used to have 3 guinea pigs, but they all gradually died after 5 years

I'm trying to organise my Cockatiel to be donated to an avairy; my room isn't safe for him to fly around perminantly and although he has a good size cage with a variety of toys I think he'd be happier in an avairy. I don't want to see him go, but if it's the best option for him then that's what I'll do.

Also I help care for a polecat ferret
he's such a cutie. I have lots of pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i've got a quaker parrot Lucie and a cockatiel Spike. They both have cages but...lucie's cage is open 24/7 and she can come and go as she pleases. spike's is open only when someone is home because she's a baby and lucie has to be watched around her since lucie can be a bit....cranky around spike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
vegankittykat, 13 cats! mine sleep with me in my bed, do all of your cats sleep with you?

Jim O. you'd better find a cat-lover girl or you will have trouble finding a human companion. Don't you hate it when people hate cats? I wonder why people get to hate cats anyway... people don't hate dogs.

that Krava kitty looks definitely like Marilyn Monroe!

looks like most veg*ns love cats indeed.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blueapple

Don't you hate it when people hate cats? I wonder why people get to hate cats anyway... people don't hate dogs.

i hate it. i don't have a cat cause the husband's allergic but i like my birds MUCH better. BTW....as far as dogs go i can take them or leave them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts