VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
The improvised term "veg*n" is used as an open referal to either vegan/vegetarians simultaneously whilst recognizing there is a difference between them.. (not least the spellings that befit each word of course) but written as one word for convenience sakes.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Veg*n is a term used to encompass both vegetarians and vegans. The asterisk means "insert anything" so if you add "etaria" in the middle, yoiu get vegetarian, and if you add "a" you get vegan. It's not uncommon to talk about vegetarians and vegans as a collective, so this term is used quite a lot.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If I want to talk about vegetarians and vegans as a collective I just say "vegetarians".

After all, all vegans are vegetarians, but not all vegetarians are vegans. Sort of like squares and rectangles....

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by V3gan

some vegans might be offended being called vegetarians though. it goes against there practices.
I'm sitting here trying to understand why this statement makes me bristle. (not attacking you V3gan - just the general statement)

Guess I'm just tired of the holier than thou attitude of some (repeat some) self-righteous vegans.

I am vegan - but outside of the veggieboards I do not admit to that. The term Vegan has come to mean fanatic - and that is a total shame! I say I am a vegetarian or if I have to I say I'm a strict vegetarian.

You can't change the world by alienating it.

Sorry - usually I keep silent on this particular subject. Don't mean to offend anyone - just felt compelled to speak my mind.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I don't mind people calling me a Veggetarian, even though strictly speaking I am a vegan. As long as you are happy with your eating habits, does it really matter what label anyone slaps on you?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i usually don't call myself a vegan.. even though i am. When/ if people ask, I just tell them I am a vegetarian who won't eat dairy/ eggs. True to what DVM wrote, sometimes vegan can be seen as some fanatic, animal rights activist. People tend to put their defense up and prepare for some whole long diatribe on how meat is bad. Honestly, I don't want a hassle for my eating practices, and thus I don't hassle anyone about theirs.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Well, they are different, but the term vegetarian encompasses ovo-lactos, vegans and all those in between. however, it is a bugger since vegetarian has been accepted as the generic term to describe ovo-lactos, so in terms of linguistics, it's a great idea to have a generic term to describe all the people who fall under the "vegetarian" term, since this term is already taken, simple internet abbreviations meant that the term "veg*n" was born.

However, I do talk of "vegetarianism" as a movement, as encompassing all veg-heads. But I use the term "vegetarian" as a person to describe someone on an ovo-lacto diet. It has been noted by some people that the term "vegetarian" should refer to the diet, and that the term "vegan" should refer to the lifestyle. I actually have some kind of agreement here, but it is best not to change the labels as this would create confusion. And adding to the list of potential labels for veg-heads creates problems. (Vegitan, anyone???)

But lets not fuss over labels anyway. The world of labels is full of semantic antics, and there's more stuff to worry about than that. It's good to have clearly defined labels in order to prevent confusion, but they should not be obsessed over. (i.e. I don't think vegans should object to being claled "vegetarian" as the term is true, it's just that vegans take a stricter approach to vegetarianism.) Fussing over the small things gives off a bad image of veg*ns. (BTW, I have read a few articles about veg*ns trying to keep the good image of veg*nism. They say that veg*ns fuss too much about "letting the side down" so I guess this should also be taken into account.) So try to enjoy the lifestyle, rather than argue ove rit. It's more fun that way, and more people will want to give it a go if it doesn't seem hostile.

Anyway, that's my two groszy.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I think that what gets my hackles up is the implied "vegetarian means only diet, therefore you don't really care about animals" which I HAVE gotten. I have made a lifestyle change, I avoid all products that are tested on animals or contain animal products that I consider to be gotten through cruelty. I am cutting out dairy (I have been having many dairy free days) and I only eat eggs that are CERTIFIED organic free range (and yes that actually means something here). I personally don't have a problem with honey, but I won't go into the reasons why here. I'm doing my best to avoid cruelty laden products (just as vegans do their best to avoid animal products full stop). That is a lifestyle. So for someone to assume that I'm only in it for the diet does piss me off.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i try not to make claims that i live a totally vegan or animal free life.. because as it has been said a thousand times before me.. it is just virtually impossible. i try my hardest..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts