VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's been done before several years ago, but it's time for a new one!

Quote:
Ever wondered how much "nature" your lifestyle requires? You're about to find out.

This Ecological Footprint Quiz estimates how much productive land and water you need to support what you use and what you discard. After answering 15 easy questions you'll be able to compare your Ecological Footprint to what other people use and to what is available on this planet.

CAUTION: THIS QUIZ MAY SURPRISE YOU, SHOCK YOU, OR MAKE YOU THINK. PLEASE REMAIN CALM...BUT NOT TOO CALM!!
http://www.earthday.net/footprint/index.asp

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine happens to be 10 acres, while the average footprint size in the U.S. is 24 acres.

P.S. Let's use this thread for posting and discussing our footprint sizes. Threads have been getting off-topic quickly, lately.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
My footprint is 10. It was less when I lived with my parents and sisters (7), and less still during my semester in Barcelona (1.6). I haven't managed to convince my employer (or myself) that riding my bicycle the 40 or so miles per day I drive to the required locations is a good option. It's a simple fact of living and working in this area/profession. Some people can ride their bicycles to their workplace, spend the day there, and ride home. Not only does my workplace lack a shower, but I frequently go places during the day for work, and the timeframe requires that I use a car. (No public transportation around here.) When I can, I walk to and from work, but I'm too chicken to do this late at night or have a lot to carry. It's only 1.5 miles, but I'm not about to lug a full laundry basket that far.

I buy locally when I can, but you know how much wheat and rice is grown in northeastern Ohio? If I moved to Montana, it'd be something else imported from another state. The 100 mile diet would work for some food staples, but definitely not others.

Why did the quiz ask nothing about where you get clothing, shoes and toilletries? Or recycling? Or keeping the thermostat low during the winter and not using A/C in the summer? Those things may not have the biggest impact, but by golly, I want to look good!

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
my footprint is an 8 and my dh's is a 6 (he doesn't drive a car at all...what a difference!). i was surprised that it didn't mention recycling too.

·
Registered
791 Posts
The caps are not mine...I just copied and pasted. 1.1 planets? That's not possible...luckily, I AM planning to reduce my footprint. I plan to be living in an ecovillage by late next year. ^_^

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 0.4

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.7

GOODS/SERVICES 0.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 1.9

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 3.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.1 PLANETS.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Well since I'm Canadian, I got my answer in hectares, so it's virtually useless to compare that with acres without converting.

I got that if everyone lived like me they'd need 1.9 planets. It's not great, but it's a lot better than most.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Food \t3.5 Acres

Mobility \t3.5 Acres

Shelter \t13.3 Acres

Goods/services \t11.4 Acres

Total Footprint 32 Acres

\t

If Everyone Lived Like You, We Would Need 7.1 Planets.

-------------------------

Good thing most people in the world don't live like me then.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
I got hectares as well, needing 2.3 planets.

When I was in Chicago, my footprint was 7 acres, or 1.7 planets. Now, I'm more likely to be flying, and our food comes from further away.

Why do they ask how old you are?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
If everyone lived like me we'd need ten planets. (You know what they say about the size of a man's ecological footprint.)

Just kidding. I didn't finish the quiz.

I mean, I tried to take the dern thing, but first I was thrown into the 36-50 age bracket (no offense to anyone over 36 but I feel I have more in common with 5-year-olds than with anyone who's 50).

Then it was asking me questions I didn't know the answer to because I have never measured my house in meters.

Then there was nothing about having kids (let's face it, the more people who make new people, the more of a burden it is on the planet and the more planets we would need to sustain them). So I wouldn't get bonus points for not causing babies to happen.

So I gave up. Sorry to poop on the party.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quote:
FOOD \t \t 0.5

MOBILITY \t \t 0.9

SHELTER \t \t 0.5

GOODS/SERVICES \t \t1.1

TOTAL FOOTPRINT \t3

\t

\tIN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.7 PLANETS.
i'm happily suprised at how low mine is.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Quote:
\tCATEGORY \tGLOBAL HECTARES

\tFOOD \t0.7

\tMOBILITY \t0.2

\tSHELTER \t0.6

\tGOODS/SERVICES \t0.6

\tTOTAL FOOTPRINT \t2.1

\t

\tIN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

\t

\t

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.2 PLANETS.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezycreezy View Post

Then there was nothing about having kids (let's face it, the more people who make new people, the more of a burden it is on the planet and the more planets we would need to sustain them). So I wouldn't get bonus points for not causing babies to happen.
Would the questions read: "How many children do you have? How many will you have in the future? How many forms of birth control do you use every single time? Are you sterile? Is your sterility reversible? Will it be reversible in the future while you are of childbearing years? If you accidentally got pregnant or got your partner pregnant, would you abort?"

Rather complicated issue.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
My footprint is seven, probably because I eat so little local food but then what's a person to do who is in VT where it's too cold to grow most stuff.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Generally these quizzes aren't very useful, because they don't ask you questions about energy usage or if you have kids, etc. If you have a lot of kids living in your home, you will get a much smaller footprint.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I retook the quizz but gave myself six kids, and got three planets less. So having more kids is clearly more sustainable!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts