VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie in China. I only know vegetarian before, but never heard vegan. Can some one tell me the definition of these two words and the difference between them.

I suppose a vegan is more strict in diet, maybe no milk.

I don't drink milk, however I sometimes still eat some products containing milk, such as icecream.

I drank milk before, until I felt uncomfortable one day.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Vegans, like other vegetarians, do not eat the bodies of animals. In addition, vegans do not consume milk, eggs or honey. More broadly, veganism is a way of life which seeks to avoid exploitation of or cruelty to animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. Most vegans do not wear leather, wool or silk.

From the vegan society

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Hehe, I saw "veban" and thought "what? Another type!?"

Side note, did you know NW was calling Avril Lavigne a vegan (in the same sentence with demanding diva) but went on to say that she demands fruit and CHEESE! Um, hello....

·
Registered
17,163 Posts
I was wondering what veban was myself, lol.

Shewolf - I read an article that said Avril was a vegetarian but sometimes ate hamburgers. I'm like, WTF?

(And btw, love the puppies in your av, especially the rottie...<3 rotties)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

Yes, vegans don't consume any animal products at all, and vegetarians eat dairy--as far as the eating is concerned. But everyone here has answered your question quite well.

Some Vegetarians don't consume dairy.

No vegetarians eat meat or animal parts

Lacto Vegetarians may consume dairy

Ovo Vegetarians may consume eggs

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarians may consume both dairy and eggs

Vegetarians (or Strict Vegetarians) consume no dairy or eggs)

The difference between Vegetarian and Vegan to me:

Vegetarians are mostly concerned with diet (though they may limit use of animal related consumer products)

Vegans are concerned with diet AND consumer products (non-food items made with or tested on animals)

I've probably just confused the issue (sorry if I did)

·
Registered
13,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

Veganism is more of a religion, wherein being perfect is all that matters and all others are shunned.
That's not true.

In general vegetarians don't eat things animals are killed for, vegans try to avoid things that are made with the use of animals.

·
Registered
238,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Veganism is more of a religion, wherein being perfect is all that matters and all others are shunned. Whereas vegetarianism is about doing your personal best to reduce suffering."

i couldn't disagree anymore! if vegetarians wanted to do their best they'd be vegans. and vegans come of all relgions and aren't perfect. BULL****! BULL**** BUAS;HFLGHFG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.