Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carmine

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this one at vegweb, and I'm wondering what kind of response it'll get over here. So here's the debate of the century. You're judging on which of these two animal ingredients you consider to be more annoying.

For the uninitiated:

Gelatin: A substance made from boiling cows bones and connective tissues. Used in jello and a lot of other things

Carmine: A food coluring, also known as carminic acid, cochineal and E120. It's made from the pregnant female cochineal beetle. The beetles are crushed up, and turned into the red food colouring used in Campari, and a lot of other things.

I tend to believe that if you live in America, you'll vote gelatin, and if you live in Europe, you'll vote carmine. that's just my guess anyway.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I think you're right Loki. I know I can't think of one thing I've seen here with carmine as an ingredient, but gelatin is in EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yep i voted gelatin. i miss marshmellows

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have always said two things about business and vegetarianism.

#1: Open up a vegetarian restaurant in Blackpool - You'll have the market cornered

#2: Make vegan marshmallows - You'll have the market cornered.

It's annoying how there aren't any vegetarian marshmallows about. If a major manufacturer of marshmallows switched to xanthan, carageenan or agar-agar, I am willing to bet that if they publicised this move, and labelled them as vegan, then shops would literally run out of marhmallows. All the veg*ns I know of miss marhmallows. And for that reason, once could say that gelatin is the most nnoying.

But alas, I went with carmine. I'm sick of it. I have found plenty of products that would be vegetarian, if it were not for that one little "E120" that's scrawled in letters smaller than my handwriting on the label. And the most annoying thing is that it's a colouring, so it's not necessary for the product. And I think most omnis would puke if they knew what carmine is, so it gets my vote. It appears to be in everything, as carmine doesn't have as high a profile as gelatin does as a blatantly non-vegetarian ingredient. And it's known by a few names.

And for your information, i'm from Europe. Well, England, which is technically part of Europe. (Though I wouldn't say we have much political affiliation with Europe, except Europe dictate how one can sell bananas in England.)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i'm sick of carmine too though because it's in a lot of makeup. i tend to not eat a lot of food that might have it, i can't even really think of any except for a brand of juice that i stopped drinking while still omni because i found out it's like 7% real juice (fruitopia)

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Well, I'm Aussie and I say gelatine, because it's stopped me from eating more things that I would have otherwise eaten than carmine has. The only makeup I wear is vegan, so I am safe there.

Why is it the pregnant female beetle that is used? Who the heck discovered that pregnant cochineal beetles could be used for that? And how did they discover it?

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I hardly wear makeup and I can live without red food, but dang I miss Frosted Mini Wheats.

I'd like to vote for whey as the most annoying of all. They put whey in the strangest places. I've bought granola that had whey in it. One of these days I'm going to make a shirt that says WHY WHEY!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Gelatin definitely. It's easy enough to avoid red things, but gelatin is in EVERYTHING! Even things that aren't remotely gel-like, like some mints. And I really miss Skittles!! I'm going to have to order some vegan Skittles off pangea.com pretty soon.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I voted gelatin. It seems to be in everything in sight. Who really thinks of putting crap like that into our food? I have never actually seen a product with carmine in it, but I am sure there are quite a few of them around.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I didn't put whey in there, as I wanted a showdown. Gelatin is the classic one, because there's a lot of stuff that contains gelatin, and carmine annoys the hell out of me, mainly due to it not being necessary.

Also, there are some ovo-lacto veggies here who wouldn't really find whey that annoying, since it is still a part of their diets. (I'm ovo-lacto myself) So I chose two definitely non-vegetarian ingredients for a showdown.

But carmine is in:

Smarties (In the Uk at least)

Campari (The alcoholic liquor - Exempt from labelling, so you don't know unless you ask the company.)

Cosmetics (It's in quite a few - I don't use cosmetics, so i don't know which)

Sweets/candy (Often contains carmine)

Slim-fast milkshakes (My sister gets these. Carmine is in the strawberry one.)

And about a year ago, I read a feature in a religious publication about carmine production. It was freaky stuff, and actually promoting carmine as good.

And I find carmine annoying because manufacturers are aware nowadays that by putting gelatin into food, they are excluding vegetarians, and they will shy away from doing it, in fear of losing the vegetarian market. However, carmine doesn't have the same notoriety that gelatin has.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I voted for gelatin being more annoying because I know to look for it, and I see it everywhere. I haven't yet gotten to the place of avoiding all products with carmine-by-any-other-name. One step at a time, one step at a time. I'll get there, but right now I'm not.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Aussie and voted gelatin!

They are both gross and sickening but...

I miss gummi bears and coloured snakes from the local store.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I didn't vote: I don't like them both.

fyi: there is already a anti-whey campaign on the net.

There are vegan smarties, just the colors aren't that bright

(with the vegan society logo on it!)

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm in the UK, and I voted for Gelatin. It's in practically everything

And like LadyFaile, I miss marshmallows! Particularly Lucky Charms *sniff*

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Gelatin is annoying because it's in everything. Carmine is annoying because I don't always think to look for it. It's one of those ingredients you don't even know exists unless you're a vegan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts