VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by skylark

When I was doing my early research into vegetarianism three years ago, I found completely contradictory definitions for macrobiotics. One book said it was an eating style that emphasized raw, raw, raw and locally grown foods. Another book said it was an eating style that shunned raw and cooked everything.
When I first became vegetarian, I purchased a few macrobiotic books. I was just curious, and was wondering if it was for me. My understanding, is that you have to cook foods based on what your body tells you you need. If you are yin (expansive...i.e., mood is: dreamy, confused, forgrtful, worried, sensitive, sad, scared, hyperactive, drunk, hysterical) you should eat more raw foods...HOwever, if you are more yang (contracted....i.e, mood is: impatient, frustrated, stubborn, heavy, stuck, insensitive, compulsive, controlling, angry, violent) you should eat more cooked food.

The whole yin and yang thing is much more complex than that, it gets into what types of food you should stay from. But, the contradictory definitions you received, might have had something to do with that. Macrobiotics is all about listening and knowing what your body needs. FYI a great book is The Self Healing Cookbook by Kristinia Turner...on Kushi Institue website. It gives recipes, but also explains all about the diet. The author has a very peaceful way of writing. Very good read..even if i'm not macro.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

If you go macro, you REALLY need to know what you're doing with it, or it can really backfire.
Yeah......you have to be careful, and it is much more difficult than being vegan. When I first went veg. I tried the macro thing...Only for a few days
...But, no tomatoes???
I don't think I could live. But, I did learn a lot, and it helps you become more in tune w/ your body. I think macro can be very good for some people...especially people with a terminal illness, such as cancer. The one thing that I do like about macro is that it really stresses to eat within your means....meaning in your region. Not just organically grown, but organically grown in your locale. It's something I never really thought about, but do you know how much fossil fuels we waste to fly a package of strawberries from the west coast to the east coast? Eat local, think global is a motto I do agree with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts