VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Macrobiotic is all about eating foods from your region. I had a couple friends who were macrobiotic, and it seemed so extreme to me. And, yeah, it's all about balancing out your foods--Yin/Yang.

They told me they couldn't eat tomatoes and I almost screamed. No spaghetti sauce, no salsa, no ketchup. Couldn't do it. No peppers either--no jalapeños! (Sad. So sad.)

They got so skinny, too. Like unhealthy skinny. They quit sugar (which I did recently and think it's one of the best things I've ever done with my diet), they quit meat (except they could eat Shrimp--go figure) and dairy. They had other strict diet guidlines. No citrus fruits, no nightshades.

And after eliminating the things you can't eat in a macrobiotic diet, there ARE a lot of things left, but it seems like they'd only eat a bowl of brown rice and that's it.

They've since gone vegan, and seem much healthier now. I guess they eat a wider variety of foods. If you go macro, you REALLY need to know what you're doing with it, or it can really backfire.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I worked with this guy who said he was Vegan, and after I made the switch to veggie, I was talking to him about honey, and askin if he ate it or not. He said "I think I'd give up fish before I gave up honey." I was a triffle confused at that point. Vegan?

I totally agree with the "eating locally" thing. Like why do we need to be eating oranges from California if we live in the Northeast? I like northern foods, was raised on them, so therefore I think my body very easily digests northern foods rather than foods from Guatemala or Peru. I feel fantastic when I eat melons that were grown in New York State, but feel kinda funky when I eat a pineapple...make sense??

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
is it Microbiotic, then? instead of Macro that's limited to your region?

Oh, heck if I know-- I'm not micro/macro. I probably got the two confused.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts