VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old WIYG? thread was going for about 2 years, and since gardens are seasonal, I figured it was time to start a new one.

I mentioned the red mulberry trees I'm trying to get started over in Capstan's tree thread.

I got sick of trying to start tomato plants and having the seedlings die on me. I had better luck with them years ago when I was starting to garden!!! So last fall, I took two cuttings of my beefsteak tomato plants and they've been growing in my house. In fact, I discovered a small tomato on one of them.

I'll be starting broccoli, okra, and savory indoors soon- maybe some lettuce and mustard greens also.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'll know in a couple of months... short growing seasons suck.

I set up 2 4X4 square foot gardens last year, they did surprisingly well despite me getting things planted really late. I also have 4 whiskey barrels set up to grow annual herbs, flowers and strawberries. I do have a dedicated perennial herb garden for such things as thyme, mint, sage, tarragon etc. I also a great rhubarb patch and a superb raspberry "hedge". Don't have to do anything with them, just wait till they start growing again, though I do have to prune the dead stalks out of the raspberries every year.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have mustard and collard greens and swiss chard. Lettuces, spinach, and garlic. Will be transitioning to a summer garden in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
well, i have a lot going on. as far as seedlings started inside, this is what i've got:

the okra is doing fantastic, and the other ones starting to show up are speckled roman tomatoes, which are supposed to be great for canning but we'll see.

spoiler tags for photo heavy post

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]

we've got four blueberry plants. i know they won't give us anything for the next couple of years but i love them anyway.

two fig trees:

our jasmine from last year and the two additional ones we planted this year:

we used to do cannas up on our deck:

but have since transplanted them to by the bandroom door:

we have five raised beds plus a chicken coop. only two of our beds have anything in them right now.

[/SPOILER]

·
6,473 Posts
the board said i had to split it into two posts

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]these two have fennel, mustard greens, fava beans, radishes and green onions:

the others aren't ready yet. and no, the oil drum shouldn't be knocked over, it's our yard waste bin. kind of ruins the photo but too allergy laden to go outside and take another. we're hoping that by the time summer rolls around we won't be needing our CSA. it doesn't look like much, but it's a lot. I've lived here for the past two years, and our yard is on a five year plan. this house was a foreclosure, which meant our yard turned into a dump in the five years that this house was vacant. in two years i think we've cleared over 4 tons of garbage (including but not limited to -- 100+tires, 3 intact toilets, 7 mattresses, and a burned out shell of a car) and cleared an additional 2 tons of kudzu, trees and various invasive species. here is the yard in Summer 2010

Summer 2011

so, i'm pretty proud.

we've also got tons of stupid ornamental plants i don't care about like nandinas and orchids and other 'pet plants'.[/SPOILER]

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
I was at the local arboretum yesterday for their annual tomato fundraiser. It's pretty cool. They have volunteers grow about 300 different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, then sell off the plants. I picked up a variety that have worked well in the past.

I've got kale, romaine, parsley, green onions. Those all seem to thrive and the bugs leave them alone. I've officially given up on chard, pak choi, bok choi. The grasshoppers destroy them too quickly. In the next week or two I'm going to plant sunflowers, pole beans, summer squash, and cucumbers. I'm hoping to use the sunflowers as a trellis for the pole beans.

·
6,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

I was at the local arboretum yesterday for their annual tomato fundraiser. It's pretty cool. They have volunteers grow about 300 different varieties of tomatoes and peppers, then sell off the plants. I picked up a variety that have worked well in the past.

I've got kale, romaine, parsley, green onions. Those all seem to thrive and the bugs leave them alone. I've officially given up on chard, pak choi, bok choi. The grasshoppers destroy them too quickly. In the next week or two I'm going to plant sunflowers, pole beans, summer squash, and cucumbers. I'm hoping to use the sunflowers as a trellis for the pole beans.
have you tried growing helper plants near the ones the bugs are destroying? so far tansy has done well for us keeping things away.

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
Veggies and annual fruit (in the order in which I visualize the garden :p) :
Okra, cowpeas, tepary beans, radicchio, indian mustard, black mustard, giant beets, zucchini, snow peas, squash, giant rutabagas, 2 types of kale, collards, cabbage, garlic, walking onions, 17 varieties of chilli peppers.

Teas, spices, and medicines:
Black currant leaves, elecampane, baikal, oregano, thyme, winter savory, ephedra, Scutellaria barbata, Desmanthus leptolobus, Silene capensis, kalmegh, native american licorice, lemon balm, mint, sage, maral, tabe-hi, Ligusticum porteri, L. canbyi, Silphium laciniatum, Astragalus membranaceus (20), ashwagandha (17), Plantago majora, P. lanceolata, Lomatium dissectum, Eriodyction californicum, Aralia californicum (I hope), Heimia myrtifolia, Heimia salicifolia, tepezcohuite, Calea zacatechichi, Sceletium tortuosum, S. emarcidium, yuapon.

Fruit and nut trees:
Black currant fruit, bird cherry, goumi fruit, jujube fruit, saskatoons, canadian elder, black walnut, crab apple.

Biological reagent precursors:
Colchicum autumnale

...all grown without pesticides

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

have you tried growing helper plants near the ones the bugs are destroying? so far tansy has done well for us keeping things away.
Thanks! I am going to give that a try.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
we've got four spots this year. two at the bottom of the hill in the backyard, both about 20x25 and both on a slight incline, so I'm thinking those will be melons and winter squash patches. also a 15x60ish patch in the backyard at the top of the hill, and 20x35ish spot at the side of the house. at least a third of the big patch will probably be peppers and tomatos, and the one at the side of the house is going to be exclusively for greens. I just hope I can keep the bunnies out of it. oh, and at the top of the hill, from one fence to the trail down the hill will be bales of straw, for our potatos.

for the large one, we're planning on several varieties of tomatos, beans and peppers, plus broccoli, brussel sprouts, parsnips, carrots, peas, beets, turnips, zucchini, yellow straightneck, and eggplant. chard, mustard, kale, spinach, several varieties of lettuces, cabbage, orach, strawberry spinach, and a few little things like chives are going into the side patch.

we've already started a few tomatos, potatos and peppers in the kitchen, and will be starting basil, peppermint and lemon balm soon.

we also ordered a couple of ground cherry plants, although I've no idea where we're putting them yet. and my mom has a couple of avocado seedlings that I have to transplant this year, before my cats tear them to shreds.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yay!

[picture removed]
Very nice. I wish I had brick borders. Then I could sit down on it while gardening.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
Very nice, RabbitLuvr!

A friend of mine has a platform deck...she built this awesome wooden planter along one whole side of the deck where she plants her veggies. It's really cool!

I hope I can get motivated this year to do some gardening...I can be such a slacker!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I was doing pretty well at my first attempt at real gardening, but then I went away on holiday for a couple of weeks and forgot to set the sprinklers to the timer. While I was gone, a 40C+ heatwave hit that went on for over a week and I came home to find everything dead. I've since given up.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Yay!

[picture removed]
Nice, I might just have to try something like that... looks like just the right height to work it comfortably and keep the dogs from peeing on the veggies. It looks good to boot.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
We could still get a late frost here, so it's too early to plant anything, but this weekend my boyfriend and I want to plot out where we want to have a vegetable garden and go around to some of the local nurseries for advice. I have only ever grown veggies is buckets on my porch, so we're both "green" I guess you could say, when it comes to growing things in the ground. We definitely want to try tomatoes, summer squash, string beans, kale, eggplant and bell peppers. I'd also like to try some winter squash if we have the space and conditions for it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts