VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as the nutritional values seem to indicated you cant eat either and get the same nutrients (although vegetables seems to have more of some things and less of others like sugar)

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
they have different nutritional make ups. Fruit has more fructose.
they both have vitamiins and minerals, in different amts. both contain antioxidants and other goodies that help prevent cancer and other diseases!

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

Fruit tastes better.
cant deny it. even most of my favourite vegetables are fruit in disguise!

I dont think theres anything in one you cant get in the other. but if you eat both youll get more variety.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fructose has been mentioned. Here's another -- water!

On the other hand, veges have more alpha linolenic acid, which is the plant form of omega-3 fat.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRogers View Post

Fructose has been mentioned. Here's another -- water!

On the other hand, veges have more alpha linolenic acid, which is the plant form of omega-3 fat.
... vegetables have water in them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

... vegetables have water in them.
Sure, most life does, but fruit generally has much more than veg except for maybe starchy fruit like bananas. I agree, it's a modest point.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Sure, most life does, but fruit generally has much more than veg except for maybe starchy fruit like bananas. I agree, it's a modest point.
Quote:
Whats in a fruit that you cant get from a vegetable???
>.>

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

>.>
Iv'e been thinking about that and all I can think of, from a nutritional perspective, is some phytonutrient. There are thousands, so I would be surprised if there was not some unique compound(s) in fruit (even allowing for technical definitions of fruit and veg). The citrus bioflavonoids would be an example, hesperidin etc. Look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...micals_in_food

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:

Iv'e been thinking about that and all I can think of, from a nutritional perspective, is some phytonutrient. There are thousands, so I would be surprised if there was not some unique compound(s) in fruit (even allowing for technical definitions of fruit and veg). The citrus bioflavonoids would be an example, hedperidin etc. Look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...micals_in_food

It's just a hard question to answer because every fruit and vegetable has *different* things it in, at *different* quantities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts