VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy it in a regular grocery store. I used to like Pompeian. But is there something better? I know cold pressed extra virgin is the way to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I usually just buy whats on sale.... I do have my favorite brands though, just cant think of them off the top of my head I know them by label, they all got non english names is why.

BTW Extra Virgin is not always the way to go.... IMO

Use Extra Virgin for Marinades and salad dressing....

Use regular olive oil for basicly just for cooking.... Its cheaper usually and you wont taste a difference. plus the major thing is it doesnt burn as fast as virgin.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
I use an organic extra light from a local place, it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for a lighter taste, get extra light, a heavier taste, get extra virign, healthier (as in pesticide free) get organic, environmentally friendly, see if there is a local and organic.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
It's something you can determine at the store by taking the bottle of olive oil in your arms and seeing how you react. Do you feel like saying "yes, olive oil yes, you widdle widdle bottle" to it? Does putting it back on the shelf create a longing in you? If someone broke the olive oil bottle, would you feel sad? Some people say that you should list the positives and negatives of the olive oil bottle, but I tend to think that you should go by instinct. If it's right, you just know it.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whole wheat View Post

I'm basically trying to get a good oil that doesn't have any added ingredients.
I've...actually never seen an olive oil that wasn't just olive oil.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadrian View Post

I usually just buy whats on sale.... I do have my favorite brands though, just cant think of them off the top of my head I know them by label, they all got non english names is why.

BTW Extra Virgin is not always the way to go.... IMO

Use Extra Virgin for Marinades and salad dressing....

Use regular olive oil for basicly just for cooking.... Its cheaper usually and you wont taste a difference. plus the major thing is it doesnt burn as fast as virgin.
thats what I was gonna say I usually just buy the one thats on sale......but thats just me

peace, loVe and moodiness

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

I've...actually never seen an olive oil that wasn't just olive oil.
I thought some brands used chemical extractors to get the very last bit of oil out of the olives?

·
Registered
375 Posts
As others have mentioned, different oils are used for different things. There is no point frying with extra virgin oil, as you effectively ruin the taste. Extra virgin oils are used for dressings and things where you are eating the oil directly. For cooking, use regular olive oil as it is less flavourful and the particulates will not burn as easily.

As for brands... I have no idea.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whole wheat View Post

I just found this article in the Los Angeles Times http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...-uc-davis.html
"Some state agencies previously uncovered oils labeled as 100% extra-virgin olive oil that were blended with cheaper canola, seed or nut oils -- a significant health threat to people with allergies. (No such mixing of nut oils was found in either last year's tests or the recent tests of products sold in California, according to the report.)"

I looks like that stopped. I dunno, if you can afford it I would look for local. Not only can you go and talk to the people and ask questions, but it's never a bad thing to directly support your community. Not to mention, good for the environment because they dont have to ship bottles everywhere.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

It's something you can determine at the store by taking the bottle of olive oil in your arms and seeing how you react. Do you feel like saying "yes, olive oil yes, you widdle widdle bottle" to it? Does putting it back on the shelf create a longing in you? If someone broke the olive oil bottle, would you feel sad? Some people say that you should list the positives and negatives of the olive oil bottle, but I tend to think that you should go by instinct. If it's right, you just know it.
You, make me laugh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts