VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering, cause i thought that i would make up a little card of all the ingredients to watch out for. i went to a restaurant a while ago who would not produce an ingredients list, but the waiter said he would go check all the boxes for me... but i dont have all the hidden ingredients memorized... i cant just say nothing with eggs, dairy, or meat and expect them to understand what casien, rennett, or even chicken broth is.... so.... i went through my peta book, but the list was so long... probably because they also list animal ingredients used in personal care products... I'm wondering about what to watch out for in food, when you are dining out?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Pretty much what you said. Casein and rennet seem to be the most common non-veg ingredients in food. Albumin is in some jellies, and that is not veg*an either.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Remember to mention gelatin, and be specific with soup bases. Chicken AND beef. Don't just mention "I can't eat meat." I've said that before and servers have replied "Well, we have delicious grilled salmon!" Put on the card "I can't eat any meat, including all poultry, fish, and seafood." Be specific with dairy too. Mention that you can't have cheese, cream, butter, etc.

You'd be surprised at the times omni's will ask me "You mean chocolate/muffins/ice cream/cookies have animal products?"

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

It may even be helpful to include a list of what you do choose to eat instead.

i was going to suggest that. i think it helps to have both. i have a few raw food friends who have a list of foods that they -can- eat and they give it to the chef and ask them to come up with something yummy/fun from it. the cooks usually have fun with it because they get to play around and create.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i was going to suggest that. i think it helps to have both. i have a few raw food friends who have a list of foods that they -can- eat and they give it to the chef and ask them to come up with something yummy/fun from it. the cooks usually have fun with it because they get to play around and create.

On the rare occasion that I am in a non-veg restaurant, I'll let them know what things I do like to eat or ask for a simple dish of steamed veggies and rice.
I feel so negative sometimes mentioning all the things I don't eat, so I try to be more positive instead.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The thing I don't like about restaurants is settling. It can seem even more unsettling now that I'm pregnant. Before the pregnancy, I didn't mind the occasional white bread/pasta. Now, not so much. Tonight, for instance, my husband wants to go to the Italian restaurant chain, Carabba's. I have argued against it, telling him that it will be at least 6:30 until we get there and maybe seven until we can start to eat something. I didn't tell him that I don't feel like settling for an overpiced dish of whole wheat pasta with marinaria sauce and veggies when I can get that at home for less than $1.50 (and a yummier salad than the iceburg thing they probably serve). If we go to BD's Mongolian Bar-be-cue where I can get tofu, brown rice, many different veggies, and a much more exciting dinner. However, he wants to go to the Italian place with his family. He also decided that we are going to go to Big Boy for brunch after church tomorrow. Oh, boy. What little I would eat off of the buffet is not worth $7.

Sorry. I guess I wanted to vent.

Even my omni husband has learned to help clarify what is and isn't in food for me.

One thing that I have started to do with the chain restaurants is look at the menus prior to going to the restaurants. Though it may not always be helpful. I think Carabba's has whole wheat pasta (I think that's what I got last year when we found one in Jacksonville Beach, over Easter weekend, even), but I dont rember. Olive Garden does. Maybe I can get a child's dish. Anyway, looking at the menu can help me decide prior to going. Being in a world of omnis, I have learned to make do and I've been pleasantly surprised. Yesterday, I went to a loca diner with friends and was pleasantly surprised that there were a couple of veg dishes, though the vegetable stir fry had beef sauce. Bummer. That's what really looked good. I got some veggie crepes without cheese and it was basically stir fried veggies wrapped in crepe dough.

Sorry. Just my experiences. I hope I've helped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't like explaining myself when I'm hungry...so I just tell them that I'm lactose-intolerant, and that I'm allergic to whey, and I order a meatless dish. One waiter caught on once... his girlfriend was a vegetarian.. he took care of me. Maybe you'll get lucky too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
casein, and also caseinate, glycerin, gelatin, whey, lactose, mono and diglycerides(which can be vegetable derived),honey.

the most common ones however are whey and depending on what you eat, butter fat, or milk solids, if they're using something from a box. the best bet i think is to just order something they have to make from scratch, a vegetable dish. chicken broth is pretty obvious, but it's also something i've found to be a common ingredient that you might not think of off hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts