VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago, I worked for a day at another branch of the company I am in. At breakfast, the girl in the dining room asked me 'what do you want for lunch? We have soup... *reeling off a list* Oxtail, Vegetable...' I replied veggie soup would be lovely. When I came upstairs to eat lunch at 12.30, I picked up my bowl of soup, took a roll and sat down to eat it. As I was about to start, I noticed she had given me not just vegetable.....but CHICKEN and vegetable soup!

If I was at my regular place of work I would have pointed out to the cook that I was a vegetarian (they know that anyway at my regular branch) and I would politely decline the soup. But I was in a place where I didn't know anyone, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and the soup had already been served. I am someone who was brought up never to waste anything, so I came to the conclusion that the best decision would just be to eat it. It was horrible - there were veins in it and everything and I felt SO disgusted eating it - I never even liked chicken when I was an omni. I struggled to finish it but only managed about half.

So i guess my question is - what would you have done? I felt so sick eating the soup, but felt there would have been little point throwing it away and making a new one.

Also, has anyone else been served meat/dairy by someone who was unaware they were a veggie or vegan?

·
Registered
0 Posts
When anyone asks me what I would like to eat, I make sure they know I am vegetarian, and this means no chicken or fish, too!

If I was served chicken I would decline to eat it. My morals, and an animals life is more important then "wanting to look proper". If it was a food allergy, you wouldn't think twice about speaking up.

Just remember next time to tell people you are a vegetarian.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I always quiz them before hand, politely of course, as to whether the "vegetable" soup contains animal ingredients such as chicken stock or pieces. Always. If for some reason it had chicken in it after that I'd have just sent it back and asked for something else.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animallover7249 View Post

When anyone asks me what I would like to eat, I make sure they know I am vegetarian, and this means no chicken or fish, too!

If I was served chicken I would decline to eat it. My morals, and an animals life is more important then "wanting to look proper". If it was a food allergy, you wouldn't think twice about speaking up.

Just remember next time to tell people you are a vegetarian.
Chelsea, If I knew beforehand I would have been served chicken, I would have never accepted 'just to look proper'! I was questioning whether, after the soup had been opened and the damage done, it was worth wasting it for another bowl.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Since I would have gagged and possibly vomitted after eating it, sending it back would not be any worse (and save me some discomfort). I always check on ingredients though, many veggie soups are made with some sort of meat broth. I also hate certain veggies when cooked (like green peppers), so most veggie pizzas or stir frys are out for me as well.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
In this situation, if I had already been served the meat product, I would have honestly not had any. Regardless of who I was around or how starving I was. It's important to stick to your beliefs, no matter what. I don't like to waste food myself, but I'm not doing myself a favor eating it. Like you, I get very sick off most meat products (People tell me its in my head, but it's not).

This situation will maybe remind you in the future to ask if something is vegetarian before it's served. I've had a few moments like that myself. I ordered Spaghetti Marinara at a restaurant and it wasn't marinara, it was meat sauce they served. It was when I was new to vegetarianism and didn't want to make a fuss, so I moved the sauce over and ate the spaghetti. I wouldn't do that now though.

I know you're just trying to be polite, but if I was the person serving it to you, I wouldn't want you to eat something you can't. As long as you're nice, it wouldn't have been an issue returning/exchanging it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Because the night before last, my husband and I were out with his parents celebrating our anniversary at a restaurant that his parents love, and that I haven't eaten at in a long time, mainly because my husband and I have decided to frequent places where we know I can get a vegetarian meal. Well, this place had changed their menu (the name of the place refers to butchering, so you figure they wouldn't have many veg-friendly entrees), and there was not a single thing on the menu, aside from the salad bar, that didn't have meat in it. I felt as though I wanted to crawl under the table, and my mother in law downright panicked. So I nicely asked the waiter if they could make me the seafood and vegetable sautee sans seafood, and they did, and it really was a great dish... I just don't think we'll ever go there again, though! Hehehe... I feel as though I've made enough of a conscious effort to not eat meat or any kind of animal flesh ever again, and I'm not gonna screw it up just because it might be odd to someone else. Whenever we eat out, I always always always always ask if the soup is vegetable base or beef base or chicken base or what have you, because the last time I unknowingly ate a soup made with beef stock, I couldn't leave the bathroom for two days!
Does a person need more motivation than that? I think not...

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Getting sick off meat really does keep up your motivation. Everytime I think about eating shrimp again, I think of the time 2 months after going veg where I cheated and got food poisoning. I felt like i was dying! I ate a little more after that, but that was it. Never again.

I hate going to restaurants where you can't order anything. And if you order a dish without meat, you still get charged the high price. I avoid Steakhouses at all cost. Roadhouse Grill isn't terrible though because they have the BEST baked sweet potato. It has butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon on it. Delicious! Other than that, there isn't anything else on the menu... except a regular baked potato.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I have always actually had good luck at steakhouses.

The last one I was at had a few veggie dishes, but my BF talked to the waiter who talked to the chef and somehow I wound up with the most amazing vegan butternut squash rissotto. I have always found restaurant chefs to enjoy the challenge of making me something amazing- although perhaps not so much at chain restaurants, so I only go to a chain if I know they have at least one veg option.

I think in your situation, I would have sent it back. I would have mentioned that I was expecting vegetable soup, not vegetable and chicken soup. If they had a replacement, I would have ordered that. If they didn't well.... I have some body fat to live off of for awhile

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

About 6 months ago, I worked for a day at another branch of the company I am in. At breakfast, the girl in the dining room asked me 'what do you want for lunch? We have soup... *reeling off a list* Oxtail, Vegetable...' I replied veggie soup would be lovely. When I came upstairs to eat lunch at 12.30, I picked up my bowl of soup, took a roll and sat down to eat it. As I was about to start, I noticed she had given me not just vegetable.....but CHICKEN and vegetable soup!

So i guess my question is - what would you have done? I felt so sick eating the soup, but felt there would have been little point throwing it away and making a new one.

Also, has anyone else been served meat/dairy by someone who was unaware they were a veggie or vegan?
I probably would have done my best to pick out the pieces of chicken from the soup and put them aside and eaten the rest. Like you, I was brought up not to waste food.

You had the alternative of going back to the cook and asking that he/she prepare you a fresh bowl of purely vegetarian soup, but in a work situation, do they give you all day to have lunch? To have it prepared and re-prepared and redone over and over again?

You could also have complained to the "girl" who took your order, demanded to talk to her supervisor and created a big scene. But I don't think that that would have accomplished much in a positive vein.

I recall going out to dinner with a woman I know who is mostly vegetarian but also eats fish--pescatarian, I suppose I could call her. She was the one who invited me to dinner, and we went to this Japanese place. They had shrimp tempura and vegetable tempura, so of course I ordered the vegetable tempura. When they brought my plate, they brought the shrimp tempura--the shrimp tails were quite visible. So I said, "I am sorry, but this is *NOT* what I ordered." They took it back and cooked up a plate of vegetable tempura. My hostess was patient enough to wait for them to do this. Also, this was a dinner/supper/night-time situation, so not the rush-rush worktime lunch situation. Finally, it's unclear from your example how the lunch was being paid for, by whom and when. In this case, the restaurant clearly bore the cost of re-doing the meal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i had a similar situation once. I was studying for exams and a friend went to get us lunch (chinese food) ...I told her I was vegan and my other friend said to make sure it had no meat, egg, fish sauce etc.

Anyway on her return I took my meal (fried rice and tofu with vegetables) and when i opened it realised it has pieces of ham and egg in it. I didnt want to make a big scene so I just mentioned to her that it had egg and ham in it but that I would 'eat around' those bits. I picked out what I could- the ham was easy to pick out and there wasnt much of it but i think i probably swallowed some egg

Anyway in youre situation I think I would have done the same - mentioned that it was in fact not vegetarian but that I would eat it just this once- and avoid all the chicken. Unless the chicken was unavoidable and then I dont think I could eat it.

I always figure that if you throw out a mistake like this the chicken or whatever animal has still already died for it and wont be saved by throwing the food out. It will just create extra waste. But I would want them to know it is not vegetarian and that I wasnt happy with it

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenx0x0 View Post

I am someone who was brought up never to waste anything, so I came to the conclusion that the best decision would just be to eat it. It was horrible - there were veins in it and everything and I felt SO disgusted eating it - I never even liked chicken when I was an omni. I struggled to finish it but only managed about half.
Jeez helen, you made yourself feel sick and disgusted trying to eat something that you never liked eating as an omni anyway, just so you wouldn't waste one lousy bowel of soup. Why did you put yourself thru that?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd have just said 'Oh God, I'm sorry I didn't realise this would have chicken in it. I'm vegetarian. Is there anything else available? Maybe I could just grab another roll?'

I wouldn't eat it. I'd give it back - it wouldn't be wasted in a big canteen. It doesn't really need to be a big deal.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kali View Post

Jeez helen, you made yourself feel sick and disgusted trying to eat something that you never liked eating as an omni anyway, just so you wouldn't waste one lousy bowel of soup. Why did you put yourself thru that?
I know... crazy eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate View Post

I'd have just said 'Oh God, I'm sorry I didn't realise this would have chicken in it. I'm vegetarian. Is there anything else available? Maybe I could just grab another roll?'

I wouldn't eat it. I'd give it back - it wouldn't be wasted in a big canteen. It doesn't really need to be a big deal.
That's probably what I should have done... she was a nice girl, I'm sure she would have never expected me to eat something that would repulse me.

If the situation arose again I wouldn't do the same thing now, but it seemed like the best thing to do at the time.

...And the pieces of chicken were too big to pick out, Joe, it was all blended in with everything else... there was one giant vein which almost made me throw up and wonder why anyone would choose to eat this.

But then again, I did...

·
Registered
703 Posts
I wouldn't try to pick out the meat, as has been suggested, because as we all know the broth is the same as the meat. I would have gone hungry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts