VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were eating at a persons house, who you did not know well...and you were served your plate of food...I was hoping, that the food would just be put on the table, and I could serve myself, leaving off the chicken. I was able to eat around it and it was ok, but I wonder in restropect, I should have mentioned to the hostess that I do not eat meat, and asked her to leave it off my plate. However, I really had not clue our plates were being fixed in the kitchen. All that said, the gal next to me does not eat vegtables, and left her carrots on her plate..lol..we should have traded at that point. I was really trying to be very nice about what I do and don't eat...but at the end of the meal, questions started. Everyone was very nice...(there were 6 of us at the table)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would mention in advance of eating at someone's house that I was vegetarian. I always make sure to tell people that they don't have to cook a seperate meal, and that I can eat all the other foods...like at an omni thanksgiving meal, I had a great dinner on the salad, rolls, and some other side dishes which were wonderful, while everyone else ate Turkey. Nobody (including me) minded that I ate differently. I don't think it has to be made an issue or a big deal, just mention it so you don't end up eating around meat. At my church, which is fairly large, since they found out I was vegetarian, they try very hard at potlucks to provide something I can eat...or ask me to make something special for everyone to sample.

B

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Letting the hostess know in advance is the best.

In a pinch maybe eating around it - then saying "oh my! I am totally full - can't eat another bite!" :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Most of the people whos houses I eat at already know I'm veg*n so I never really have a problem. If I'm going to a friend of a friend usually they will mention it for me. Otherwise I would just ask anybody if they wanted my meat. Usually theres somebody who will want seconds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts