VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at a property in Tassie that is 100acres of natural bush land with some cleared paddocks and it's on the coast.

My question too you all is what would you do with it to earn a living??

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Veganic farm selling local produce and exporting things to Japan, like edamame, which Australian farmers have given some thought to. If it is in Tasmania, I would also want to grow opium poppies as a commercial crop to sell to morphine-makers, to make a little poppy-tea for myself, now and then, should I need a pain reliever, as a commercial poppy-seed crop, and to have my own fresh poppy seeds of various cultivars (much tastier than store-bought varieties, and available in a much greater range of different-tasting varieties)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
plant a whole bunch of mango trees papaya trees and avocado trees so I can finally quit drooling outside the other people's fence or practcing sprinting to out run pit bulls (when drooling leads to something else)

can I grow marmite too? Love it!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by freemouse

plant a whole bunch of mango trees papaya trees and avocado trees
LOL...You've never been to Tassie i take it. It's about as far south as you can get before you start bumping into iceburgs. I need some cold weather ideas.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
No prize for guessing mine!

ALPACAS!!! Alpaca farming! all the way! on that, I could run a herd of 150-200 Alpacas!!

And its not just b/c I like Alpacas. The wool trade in Alpaca fur is growing . . .and being so close to Japan . . . the possibilities are endless.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
hmmmm - yeah it is hard i bet .....

just rescue some and have them as your friends.

create an alpaca sanctuary

sorry, off topic, back to AVM's land ...... ummmm i don't know much about tassie but if, i mean WHEN, i have land, i would create an animal sanctuary but that isn't going to bring the dough in so maybe you could grow apples? lol

i don't know !!!!

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
At $500 per castrated male,

And then $250 per year from that male,

NO ONE will be such a fool to abuse an Alpaca! (I can hope, cant I?)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by with_open_eyes

somehow, i dont see aussie vegan mum making money out of exploiting animals!
You got me in one
I think some sort of organic farming project will be the go. We are just dreaming though. WE are still trying to get enough together to build on the 5 acres we have here so we can escape suburbia.

I'll have a nice little permiculture set up going there

·
Registered
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

plant a whole bunch of mango trees papaya trees and avocado trees so I can finally quit drooling outside the other people's fence or practcing sprinting to out run pit bulls (when drooling leads to something else)

can I grow marmite too? Love it!!!
MARMITE. Bleugh, vegemite is sooo much nicer

well seeing as i live in tassie i bight be able to help

well theres a lot of room for apple trees, raspberries and such

raspberries are popular (i wouldnt mind buying a few kilos, my grandmother makes nice jam)

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
NOOOOOO!!!

Marmite! Marmite! Marmite!!

Marimite is the better of the *mites.

but I suppose that's a whole 'nother thread, eh?

I'm with TAG on the alpaca farm thing. So long as cutting the wool off them is no worse than giving a human a haircut (I wouldn't want to hurt something with a face that sweet
).

Failing that, I would go for a veggie farm. One can never have too many veggies growing round.

and why am I answering a thread 2 years old?

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

and why am I answering a thread 2 years old?
I'm glad you pointed it out before I wasted time answering. Why do newbies bump such old threads all the time?!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I would plenty of gardens. Plenty of beautiful trees, and flowers. I would get horses too. Just make it a comfortable area.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts