VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You woke up tomorrow and somehow you were back in the early 1900s, You still had knowledge of technology, wars etc... basically, you remeber 100 years from now like it was yesterday.

Be careful of what you would change. Think about the space program and all of the inventions that we now take for granted, any change to history would have an effect on the future technology, medications, wars.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No earlier push for civil rights? gay marriage?
how about investing in things you knew would reap a large income. Could you do that and then use the income to help your animal rights cause?
And, what if somewhere before 1920 you actually stopped animal testing. Would certain illnesses go uncured?

Would you have slipped JFK a note prior to his fateful ride that day?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
now the thing with investing, i think i would have done that, lol

The thing with JFK, I don't know US history that well to know if avoiding his death would be better

Civil and gay rights are an important issue but it seems to have been going well in history, unlike the animal rights, so i would concentrate more on the animals (that doesn'ty mean i wouldn't support people fighting for the other things)

diseases...again, i wonder if it would actually be better if they didn't get cured

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd probably not live to see the benefits of my work, given I'd die by the late 70s, if I'm lucky. There's two World Wars in the interim, plus the Cold War, plus I'm a woman and of an ethnic group that was disenfranchised by one of those wars. While I would fight alongside other women for suffrage, I would be considered suspect and marginalized because of my race. The majority of jobs would be closed to me and I would be significantly less likely to receive relief benefits during the Depression from the Canadian government, I would not be able to generate the capital to invest in future advances. As an unmarried woman, without means, and of a visible minority, I would be open to harrassment and assault, usually with little legal recourse because of institutionalized racism. I would not even be allowed to vote until 1949.

I would thus have little to no power to change anything.

I could slip JFK a note, but it would never reach him and I'd probably be arrested as a Communist collaborator and the whole assassination would be pinned on me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
If I got stuck in the 1900's I'd be so pissed off I'd probably retreat to a darkened room somewhere to smoke lots of opium and read Byron.
In between tokes, I'd fantasize about inventing the teleportation device from the Enterprise so I could get me the hell out of there

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

If I got stuck in the 1900's I'd be so pissed off I'd probably retreat to a darkened room somewhere to smoke lots of opium and read Byron.
In between tokes, I'd fantasize about inventing the teleportation device from the Enterprise so I could get me the hell out of there
Having people hear you come up with an idea like that after smoking opium could only result in the war on drugs starting sooner than it did.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'm sure I wouldn't remember enough to benefit me much. Especially early in the 1900s, I dunno what I could do to increase my wealth or benefit the world. I'd certainly not be able to stop any wars.

I got nothing.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Id write Star Wars before George Lucas has a chance....make a fortune...
...then get started on Harry Potter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really don't know what I would do, although I like the whole "writing-successful-stories-before-the-authors-themselves-had-a-chance" idea. Maybe I would write the Twilight saga. What are the odds that the movie versions will be better due to the fact that the producers will have more time and more chances to read the books?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

I really don't know what I would do, although I like the whole "writing-successful-stories-before-the-authors-themselves-had-a-chance" idea. Maybe I would write the Twilight saga. What are the odds that the movie versions will be better due to the fact that the producers will have more time and more chances to read the books?
Not likely, would be my guess. Sorry.

I would probably invest a lot, then obsess about getting back to my home time.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

And, what if somewhere before 1920 you actually stopped animal testing. Would certain illnesses go uncured?
One person isn't going to change an institution like that. But what makes you so sure that animal testing is necessary to cure diseases?

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond View Post

I really don't know what I would do, although I like the whole "writing-successful-stories-before-the-authors-themselves-had-a-chance" idea.
I'd like to do that with songs made by crappy people, like Nugent, Hetfield (metallica), Ozzy, Bowie, and dozens of others, I suppose. Then donate any money made from it to AR/Sanctuary orgs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.