VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently take a multi-vitamin, Vitamin D, Calcium/Magnesium, and Flaxseed Oil. After reading some articles about multi-vitamins not being healthy, I've decided to stop taking the multi-vitamin. In a month, I have an annual medical check-up at which I will ask the doctor to do a blood test for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies. What in addition to Vitamin D, Calcium/Magnesium, and Flaxseed Oil would you recommend that I take? I'm female, over 30, an octo-lacto-vegan (eat milk and eggs in addition to vegetables, but no fish, chicken, etc.), not pregnant, only family history of cancer is an Aunt who had colon cancer. Here's what I generally eat each day:
* Breakfast: Granola cereal and almond, hazelnut, or oat milk
* Snack: Clif Bar
* Lunch: Large Salad with Pasta and Cheese (Small Amounts of Each of the Following: Lettuce, Spinach, Kale, Tomato, Green Olives, Black Olives, Avocado, Mushrooms, Ranch Dressing, Feta Cheese, Blue Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, Croutons, Couscous, Stuffed Cheese Pasta, Garbanzo Beans, Pinto Beans, Sun-Dried Tomato, Olive Oil)
* Dinner: Varies Nightly. Examples include some combination of the following: Pizza with Vegetables, Pasta with Vegetables and Cheese, Potatoes, Rice with Vegetables, Pasta Salad, Couscous.
What else do I need besides Vitamin D, Calcium/Magnesium, and Flaxseed Oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you a lacto-ovo-vegetarian you probably don't need additional vitamins. Dr. McDougall doesn't recommend vitamins. He believes that people who are otherwise eating a well rounded vegetarian diet should avoid any additional vitamins. He pushes the starch based lifestyle, which is the one I prefer. If you're vegan you might need B12. With all this said, it's never a bad idea to talk with a doctor and do lots of research. My doctor says that the vegetarian lifestyle is great as long as you don't eat much dairy. He says that cheese is the enemy of a vegetarian lifestyle. So, I don't eat much cheese and I can't remember the last egg I ate.

Against my better judgement I take a high quality vegan multi-vitamin about twice a week. I don't really think I need it.

Your body is real good and pulling the nutrients out of the food you eat. As a vegetarian it's my experience that things will just work even better. Might I recommend that you watch some of Dr. McDougall's videos on youtube.

B12 and vitamin advice:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with falcon on the multi-vitamin question. In general I think vegans & vegetarians have much healthier vitamin intakes than carnies, after all, vegetables are much more nutrient-dense foods. And as far as protein is concerned, on days I don't have some form of legumes in my diet I just take a few vegan-friendly protein tabs to compensate. Couple different brands out there, the ones I'm trying now are from vegan traveler.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you eat eggs and cheese, you're not any kind of vegan...o_O Vegetarian, you mean?

Anyways - you're likely getting much better nutrition from a vegetable based diet than an omni gets. If you get plenty of vegetables and a good variety of them, you should be good - but definitely talk to your doctor, and if you're deficient in anything, a quick google for veggies high in that nutrient should get ya going! I'm personally not big on anything in a pill.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvn942 View Post

What else do I need besides Vitamin D, Calcium/Magnesium, and Flaxseed Oil? Thanks.
That's quite a salad you eat for lunch. I don't think you need anything, and I wouldn't think you'd even need these, maybe Vitamin D. I take B12 occasionally, if I'm not drinking my almond milk, and I try to eat a tablespoon of flaxseed each day mixed with something else I'm eating. I would say ditch the oil and throw some flaxseeds on your salad, but I don't think you have any room for it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts