VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of family do you prefer?

Married Nuclear Families with biological children (one man, one woman, kids)

Married Nuclear Families with adoptive children (one man, one woman, kids)

Cohabiting Families with adoptive children (one man, one woman, not married, kids not biologically related)

Cohabiting Families with biological children (one man, one woman, not married, kids biologically related)

Same Sex Couple w/o children

Same Sex Couple w adoptive children or half biological

Communal Family (no one in family may be biologicaly related and may consist of many men, women, children, animals)

Single Parent Family (biological or adopted children)

Cohabiting Couple with no children

Married Couple with no children

Extended Family (many generations of blood related individuals)

Other (explain please)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't stand my blood relatives so I would pick Communal Family. I consider my friends (people I choose) as part of my family. Right now, family consists off me, my BF and my three cats and the few friends I have.

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question either. All of them can be good depending on how the people make it work

But why can no-one in a communal family be blood related? When I was born, our 'family' (household) consisted of one married couple, their two kids, my (cohabiting) biological parents, and me. I would consider this a communal family if anything.

·
Registered
199 Posts
personally, i would like a married family with biological children. this is also the environment i was raised in. the others are just fine, they just don't appeal to me, unless my future wife cannot have children biologically, then i would say adoptive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally prefer any family that is free of guilt, shame, manipulation, and control, and instead encourages and practices love, growth, total health and differences.

Thats just me though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I dont understand the question? They can all be lovely. I am raised in a family of a married couple with their biological children. As for me? I plan not to have children. If I do, they will be adopted.

Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
142 Posts
For myself? Well I live with another woman and we do not have any children unless you count the animals

For other people... whatever makes them happiest

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmmVeggies View Post

For myself? Well I live with another woman and we do not have any children unless you count the animals

For other people... whatever makes them happiest
Ditto, on all counts. Hooray for family veggies!

·
Banned
1,061 Posts
Any type of family where there is love, trust, and freedom for growth is wonderful. Currently, I am in a "Cohabiting Couple with no children [except for the furbabies]" family but I can really see myself living any of these situations. My ideal would be more of a cohabitating/communal family with myself, my SO and another woman. With kids or no kids, but definitely animals.

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Any of them can work I guess. It's not so much the structure of the family but the people who are in it that counts.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

I'm not sure I understand the question either. All of them can be good depending on how the people make it work

But why can no-one in a communal family be blood related? When I was born, our 'family' (household) consisted of one married couple, their two kids, my (cohabiting) biological parents, and me. I would consider this a communal family if anything.
Sorry I didn't think so many would find the post so confusing.
(Maybe I am the only one who took Psych 101.)

I was just wondering how people view family structures is all. There are all sorts of them. I was wondering what type VBers like (or would like in the future) for themselves to be in or what type they are currently in now.

To me, just because you are blood related to someone does not mean you have to consider them family since there are lots of people who clash with their blood relatives. To me, a family is a group of people (or animals!) or network of people that you care about and you might be living with them too (or not). For example, I have no blood related sisters - I consider my girlfriends my sisters. So they are like my family.

There are lots of 'new' types of families in today's society other than the traditional married (and heterosexual) nuclear family and I was just curious to what types people live in or would prefer to live in.

For the communal family, the "no one in family may be biologicaly related" might have been better worded as "it could be that no one in family may be biologicaly related" - That doesn't mean that no one could be. Communal can be more like an "intentional community" with various types of people who have similar interests and values (like an ecovillage perhaps).

For me, I like the communal because I don't plan on ever getting married, or having kids and I wish to surround myself with people like myself.

Right now, I am more like the Cohabiting with no kids.

I am sure all types could work for all different kinds of people but I am more interested in what people like or prefer.

here is a defy on families:

http://education.yahoo.com/reference...y/entry/family

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Other: I live alone with no pets or children. It works for me for the time being. I grew up in the married heterosexual nuclear family with biological children you described. If children are in my future, it's most likely to be a married heterosexual nuclear family with adopted children. However, I would not have a problem with other people, related or unrelated, also living in the residence. Stability, love and nurture are the key elements.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I feel like living with pets is family. They are part of my routine, I talk to them, they wait for me outside the shower door while I shower (so cute!) and I look forward to seeing them when I get home.

I'd like to add a male human to my family (legally married) when the time comes, though. There are some forms of companionship my cats can't provide.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Sorry I didn't think so many would find the post so confusing.
(Maybe I am the only one who took Psych 101.)
No, we know what nuclear & communal families are, and you don't need to take pscyh 101 to understand the components of your question.

What people found confusing was that it seemed you were asking us all to tell you which family type we prefer -- as in, which one is better than the others.

I would prefer to live in any type of arrangement that makes me happy, and I hope the same of others. I have no right to tell people that another family type is better or more preferable than theirs, nor would I want or think to do so.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

No, we know what nuclear & communal families are, and you don't need to take pscyh 101 to understand the components of your question.

What people found confusing was that it seemed you were asking us all to tell you which family type we prefer -- as in, which one is better than the others.

I would prefer to live in any type of arrangement that makes me happy, and I hope the same of others. I have no right to tell people that another family type is better or more preferable than theirs, nor would I want or think to do so.
That is not what I meant at all and I stated that in my second post. Having a preferance does not mean it is the better one. I wanted to do it as a poll but the poll only allows for 10 options.

And the comment about pysch 101 was a joke obviously

·
Registered
0 Posts
Married + biological children + adopted child would be the perfect family for me. And not to forget a family dog (or any other pet).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts